Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Have you messed with your settings within the first month of treatment?
This poll is closed.
yes
36.36%
20 36.36%
no
63.64%
35 63.64%
Total 55 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Advice for new users wanting to "tweak" settings
RE: Advice for new users wanting to "tweak" settings
Sleep and Supersleeper, The guy who gave me the mask IS the owner. I have one close friend (from way back in high school) who is a salesperson there and one acquaintance whose mom I am friends with who works the billing department. Small town mentality. Of course they need to make money otherwise they are a charitable organization.

I'm not sure if medicare works differently than the medicaid managed care programs (I have medicaid neighborhood health plan). All I know is I had to sign a carbon copied receipt of merchandise that listed machine, mask, humidifier and hose even. So far they have "given" me three masks with no signature, I BELIEVE they are being kind to me possibly due to my connections in the company. This DME is a one store, one family owned and operated business. I'm not trying to say that I know all about them, but I've heard nothing but good things... they make serious money on the motorized scooters and such.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2012, 09:32 AM)jackazz76 Wrote: So far they have "given" me three masks with no signature, I BELIEVE they are being kind to me possibly due to my connections in the company.

That's great. I'm glad you're being treated well.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Who knows, Jack... your DME could be the exception to the rule. I'm just going by what several Apnea Board members and visitors have told me as far as their personal experience. Granted, I probably hear more of the negative than the positive experiences, I realize.

If you found a helpful and patient-centered, altruistic DME, I'm happy for you. I do believe that as far as brick-and-mortar DMEs, those in small towns are probably less susceptible to corruption than the average high-volume big-city DMEs.

I only put a word of caution out there because I see a lot of people who get abused by their DME because they lack the knowledge of how the system works, so-to-speak.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
But the DME did you the greatest disservice possible when he stuck you with a brick. That's something that he should be willing to undo if, like you say, he's really out to help you.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
(09-23-2012, 09:01 PM)PollCat Wrote: Heck, until 2009 I didn't know you could change your own pressure; it wasn't until I stumbled onto this forum that I learned what I could do. Thanks

Oh yeah. But my 1997 vintage machine needed a screwdriver. Clockwise to increase the pressure, counter-clockwise to decrease and it recommended a manometer to check the pressure. I didn't have the means to do it. My new one... I'm still trying to figure it out. I don't know if Philips would issue a service manual upon request or if I have to be a doctor or something. On a positive note, last night was my fourth night on the REMstar SE and despite the doctor not changing my setting of 8, I am sleeping better. It's quite likely that my old clunker was flaky. We're all amazed at it being almost silent - the Tranqulity Quest generated constant "white" noise. But -- am I waking up refreshed and rested? No. I'm quite tired still. I'm just not getting the feeling I'm being smothered despite wearing my CPAP. I'm told that a new hose and mask is ready for me to pick up at Vitalaire. I have still been using my old ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2012, 11:51 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The problem with docs saying that is this: Most docs will jump up a pressure setting two or more points and not give warnings at all. You raised it by .8 and got a lecture. See the difference?

So many times we hear this from users. Where the doc says "don't change it or you risk death!". Then the doc jumps up several points and doesn't say "bring me your data in two weeks and let's see how it is doing".

And changing your pressure after only a month is not advisable. If you feel good and the AHI is below 5, don't muck with it.

And I wish there was a way to tell the AHI. But I was handed the S9 Escape before I really knew any better. I was told that I couldn't get a better machine without the doctor's prescription. I tried to plead my case to my RT and I guess she put in the word to the doctor. Now I have to wait to hear back on his own sweet merry little time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please don't base your tweaking, or results from "simulating apneas"- it's just not accurate. A month is a good length of time to see how your results are and tweak if necessary.
Good luck,
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2012, 06:10 PM)Ugly Wrote: And I wish there was a way to tell the AHI. But I was handed the S9 Escape before I really knew any better. I was told that I couldn't get a better machine without the doctor's prescription.
Ugly, you can find your AHI with an Escape model, the model up gives a bit more info like leak detection and if you have had OSA or CSA events. There is also a mask fit option and auto on/off through inhaling through the mask. I did want the "better" machine, but the escape blows air just fine. To find your last nights AHI without using the software, just go into clinician mode and then press the info key that usually only tells you hrs used, it will show AHI in that mode.

Mary, Thank you, I've learned that simulating is not the right way to go... only tried it a few times to see how and when the Auto setting would engage. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I've since set my machine to auto because my prescribed 8cm fills me up with air and I don't seem to have apneas on my side. I'm still around 5 or 6 AHI on auto... so I will probably set it back to 8 eventually, once I have enough data to look at.

Sorry this is so late, I've been "out of it" lately. Considering melatonin to try to help me get into the last two stages of sleep which my studies show I don't go into very much.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2013, 12:52 PM)jackazz76 Wrote: ... Considering melatonin to try to help me get into the last two stages of sleep which my studies show I don't go into very much.

Melatonin has a very short half life - 30 to 45 minutes - whether it's melatonin produced by your body or taken as a supplement. In theory, your body starts producing melatonin when it gets dark, and an hour or so later it makes you sleepy. As long as it stays dark your body continues to produce it, but when it gets light out your body automatically stops production.

Unfortunately, in the modern age this natural system often gets messed up. We have electric lights so we can stay up much later. Now, some people's bodies are smart enough to tell the difference between the electric light and daylight, but for some of us the eyes get fooled into thinking it's still daylight.

Because it has such a short half life, if you want to take supplemental melatonin to help you stay asleep, you need a time release version. If you're in the US the cheapest that I have found is Natrol brand 10 mg. controlled release, about $10 for 60 tablets. I take a regular 3 mg. tablet about an hour before bedtime, then one of the 10 mg. Natrol tablets when I go to bed. It doesn't completely solve my frequent arousals during the night, but it does seem to help.

One thing that I have been unable to find information about is how much your body is supposed to produce naturally. And, is more actually better? For example, if you take more than you need of most vitamins your body just excretes the excess - no harm, but also no benefit. Without additional information it's hard to tell what an optimum dose is.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2013, 12:52 PM)jackazz76 Wrote: Ugly, you can find your AHI with an Escape model, the model up gives a bit more info like leak detection and if you have had OSA or CSA events. There is also a mask fit option and auto on/off through inhaling through the mask. I did want the "better" machine, but the escape blows air just fine. To find your last nights AHI without using the software, just go into clinician mode and then press the info key that usually only tells you hrs used, it will show AHI in that mode.

That would be incorrect. The Escape Auto may show the AHI and Mask Fit, but the Escape does not.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,783 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,023 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.