Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice needed before 30 days are up!
RE: Advice needed before 30 days are up!
(02-26-2015, 11:28 AM)AshSF Wrote: S9 family is an older generation machine and I would advise you to stick to the latest generation which is A10 family.

(WARNING: have not yet had all of my morning coffee, have not done my Sudoku puzzle and may sound a little grumpy - on the plus side, last night I slept until 9:30AM for the first time in YEARS. Probably better measured in DECADE terms. That would have been 10 hours of sleep considering the hour I spent getting up to clean dog yak and get his soiled bedding in the wash and getting back to sleep - it was a pleasant surprise. Not the dog yak, the 10 hours of sleep.)

The S10* has been out what, six months? Some would say to stick with the S9 until the S10* has been out a year or so and the field units have a couple thousand hours on them and what bugs may be there are found and worked out before considering the S10*.

Either one should be perfectly good, but if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the S9 - nobody has been able to say that the S10* does XXXXXXXXXX so much better than the S9. When I moved from the S8 to the S9 you could say definitively that the S9 had much better reporting capabilities and was much much much quieter. All I've been able to gather on the S10* is that it is "new". And the S9 is still the best looking XPAP machine out there. And, from what I gather, it is smaller for travel since you can unhook the S9 humidifier and leave it at home (YMMV since I've never put my hands on an S10*)

OMM

*I know it ain't technically the right name - but I don't 'ppreciate Resmed marketing folks meddling - don't fix what ain't broke - and the "Sullivan Model 7,8,9" naming convention was not broke. "S" is easier to say than "AirSense"
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2015, 11:47 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(02-26-2015, 11:28 AM)AshSF Wrote: S9 family is an older generation machine and I would advise you to stick to the latest generation which is A10 family.

(WARNING: have not yet had all of my morning coffee, have not done my Sudoku puzzle and may sound a little grumpy - on the plus side, last night I slept until 9:30AM for the first time in YEARS. Probably better measured in DECADE terms. That would have been 10 hours of sleep considering the hour I spent getting up to clean dog yak and get his soiled bedding in the wash and getting back to sleep - it was a pleasant surprise. Not the dog yak, the 10 hours of sleep.)

The S10* has been out what, six months? Some would say to stick with the S9 until the S10* has been out a year or so and the field units have a couple thousand hours on them and what bugs may be there are found and worked out before considering the S10*.

Either one should be perfectly good, but if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the S9 - nobody has been able to say that the S10* does XXXXXXXXXX so much better than the S9. When I moved from the S8 to the S9 you could say definitively that the S9 had much better reporting capabilities and was much much much quieter. All I've been able to gather on the S10* is that it is "new". And the S9 is still the best looking XPAP machine out there. And, from what I gather, it is smaller for travel since you can unhook the S9 humidifier and leave it at home (YMMV since I've never put my hands on an S10*)

OMM

*I know it ain't technically the right name - but I don't 'ppreciate Resmed marketing folks meddling - don't fix what ain't broke - and the "Sullivan Model 7,8,9" naming convention was not broke. "S" is easier to say than "AirSense"

A few differences:
1) The Airsense 10 has a brand new therapy mode called "For Her" mode. It doesn't exist on the S9. It provides another option to the OP and it can be of benefit to her.
2) Also, A10 in her mode does RERA detection. Something that the S9 lacks as well.
3) The A10 family has a more integrated design for the humidifier and the machine, and its total footprint is smaller than the S9.

And the A10 has been out for a while and people seem to be happy with it.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I love my AirSense Autofit for Her. I also have a Wisp mask and have been experiencing quite a few large leaks. I used a chin strap last night and had no significant leaks, so WOOT!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2015, 10:49 AM)Sparkle Wrote: I just returned from my mask fitting and I have nasal pillows in the medium size. It did my heart good to read that the size should be one up because I left there conflicted that I should have gotten the small size- heaven help me if I ever have a *real* decision to make. But the DME did say to just keep at and not be too hard on myself - that seldom does anyone get it right right off the bat.

I also learned that I get new mask, hose and filters every three months. That was good news.

We'll see tonight now about how this new nasal pillow mask goes - I'm not optimistic - I found it very difficult to exhale out of my nose - at #4 pressure it was ok but at 9 it was YIKES - I'm not sure either that the mask is going to stay in place while sleeping. My AHI is consistently .03 or below. The highest it has been is .08. I hope I see the same results.

Wow! Sparkle, you get that low of AHI with the Airfit P10? My lowest ever has been .51 , it went up to 3.42 the day I tried the P10, and that is why now I am trying it 3 days in a row to rule out factors unrelated to the mask. Congratulations!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2015, 12:42 PM)kdmorris410 Wrote: I love my AirSense Autofit for Her. I also have a Wisp mask and have been experiencing quite a few large leaks. I used a chin strap last night and had no significant leaks, so WOOT!

Thank you for sharing KD!

I will try 3 days with P10 as is, then might try it with some sort of chin strap or headgear reinforcement. So far, I really like that you can quick disconnect the hose from the wisp mask for bathroom breaks without having to undo the headgear.

The one time I used the P10 I liked that the P10 does seem to diffuse the air coming out quite well so as not to bother your spouse, if it could be fitted with a quick connect/disconnect elbow and the headgear of the wisp it would probably be the absolute most perfect mask...

Also, thank you very much everyone for the warm welcome to the forum and for all your feedback and advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
When do all those obsolete NIB S-9s get really cheap?

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2015, 01:54 PM)Mich Wrote: Thank you for sharing KD!

I will try 3 days with P10 as is, then might try it with some sort of chin strap or headgear reinforcement. So far, I really like that you can quick disconnect the hose from the wisp mask for bathroom breaks without having to undo the headgear.

I LOVE that feature of the Wisp. I'm hoping I can continue successfully with the Wisp as I like how it doesn't feel like it's there.

I've only been on CPAP for a week, though, so I barely know what I'm talking about Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I LOVE that feature of the Wisp. I'm hoping I can continue successfully with the Wisp as I like how it doesn't feel like it's there.

I've only been on CPAP for a week, though, so I barely know what I'm talking about Smile

I only started on 2/12 so I do not have much more experience than you. I am trying to learn from reading everyone's posts. Nice to meet you on this forum!

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2015, 10:58 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I have found if I pull as much of my hair possible into a small ponytail in back, then place the back strap under it, the headgear will not move or ride up.

Oh to have enough hair to make a ponytail! Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed machines I know little about as I have the PRS1 series sixty auto aflex.

That said dont count out the Eson nasal mask. Great seal with a very loose fit. Good side sleeper also and silent as the grave as far as venting goes. And extremely comfortable. The swivel is also a pop on pop off so if you want to get up for a few minutes just pop the swivel and it stays in the hose. Back to bed just pop it back on and your hooked up again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 162 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,514 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 142 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.