Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice needed for struggling CPAP user
RE: Advice needed for struggling CPAP user
Remember the P-10 is tighter when the split straps are together at the crown of your head, and looser when spread apart. Pulling the back-most strap almost to your neck should help security and loosen the fit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2016, 07:39 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Remember the P-10 is tighter when the split straps are together at the crown of your head, and looser when spread apart. Pulling the back-most strap almost to your neck should help security and loosen the fit.

Yes, my lets call it aerodynamically shaped head makes it awkward, anything lower than the middle of my head causes it too severely loosen which is ok but it changes the angle at which the pillows secure to my nose.

The headgear and pillow fit was very snug last night while laying down. I managed to clock 6h 23 minutes which is the longest I have been able to wear any mask so far, unfortunately I still have not actually slept. My nose is very sore but I will be trying the lanolin tonight.

I have to readjust to the positive air pressure as well since I have not used my machine in weeks. Overall I am making some progress which is refreshing, just need to sleep with the mask now. Thank you for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, the football shaped skull! I pity you ever trying to fit a motorcycle helmet! (just kidding).

All of this is part of adapting and getting more comfortable. What works for me, may not work for you, and that's fine, especially if you're making progress in the right direction. Good on you for sticking with it and making that happen.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not tried this (don't need it), so it may or may not work. But you could try tying a knot in the whole headstrap, near the face (so you won't try to sleep on it). However, this gives a rather non-adjustable amount of length difference, so it might be too much.

Just trying to think of easy options ....
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2016, 01:25 PM)Fubblin Wrote: Yes, my lets call it aerodynamically shaped head makes it awkward, anything lower than the middle of my head causes it too severely loosen which is ok but it changes the angle at which the pillows secure to my nose.

I use a P10 and have noticed something similar... and my head is normal... I assure you Smile

I've found I need the straps to sit pretty high so they pull the nasal pillow up towards my nostrils, not back towards the back of my noggin.

It's all in the angle of the dangle!

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2016, 06:56 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: I've not tried this (don't need it), so it may or may not work. But you could try tying a knot in the whole head strap, near the face (so you won't try to sleep on it). However, this gives a rather non-adjustable amount of length difference, so it might be too much.

Just trying to think of easy options ....

The knot was my first failed attempt at a comfy fit. The velcro strap is working much better. I just can't get the fit right while being upright (won't be a problem once I can sleep.) I will need a few more days to see if it is the nasal pillows or the overall fit that is holding me back from sleeping without the nose pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
Surprised 
Well I am at the trying phase for masks and machines. I just saw an add for cheek pads. They are cloth and fit over the silicone part of the mask to seal and make it comfortable. I would like to trial them, but not available in Australia. Post from the USA would be US$15. A bit expensive.

Also, having looked at different forums and seeing other people with problems, I believe we all want that "magic" solution to all our problems.

Let me know if anyone finds such a device. I would buy in, no problems>
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of the masks come with cloth pads, I know my Dreamwear did and my DME gave me some when I was using the Wisp. With what I have experienced personally and read on the interwebs there is no magic solution for everyone, we all have different needs. I am still in the trial and error phase myself but you should continue to peruse the forums and ask for advice if you need it. There are lots of friendly people that can help you out like they have for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thought I would give an update on my situation. I still have not gotten any sleep while wearing a mask and receiving my APAP therapy. The p-10 winded up being a failure due to unmanageable pain in the nares, though I did manage to find a comfortable fit for the head strap. I tried the Dreamwear and my other masks again testing them out with Lanolin, AYR, medicated cloth tape and a homemade gel concoction I have been making with honey, coconut oil, witch hazel and olive oil on my skin where the mask seals but to no avail.

I have also tried the Amara View, Sleepweaver Advance and Sleepweaver Elan. The sleepweaver masks are by far the best experience I have had with masks as far as comfort goes, the Amara View was far too cumbersome and put similar pressure on my sinuses that have prevented me from using nasal masks. Both of the sleepweaver masks cause me no irritation and are comfortable enough, I have gotten used to the fabric feel on my face. I have some issues with leaking on both masks but I have gotten them down to a minimum with the Advance mask. Since I started using the Elan/Advance 29 days ago I have been able to go up to 9 hours wearing the mask! Unfortunately I still am unable to sleep with the therapy, I have now added 5 additional attempts while being deprived of sleep for 48-79 hour intervals. What is the longest time period anyone has taken to become acclimated the the positive pressure therapy? I feel like my body has adjusted but I just cannot fall asleep with the machine on no matter what I do.

My DME has basically refused to help me any further in acclimating to my therapy until 90 days after I received my Sleepweaver Advance have passed and have in general been extremely rude when I have asked for further advice. My current sleep doctor dropped my insurance from the network on October 1st (last appointment October 12th) and I should be seeing my next sleep doctors within the next week pending a referral.

On a positive note my physical therapy has been improving my range of motion and my pain has decreased enough that my primary care physician has started tapering off some of the medications I have been taking.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may need to consult on a hypersensitivity disorder to find a comfortable CPAP solution.

This: "Lanolin, AYR, medicated cloth tape and a homemade gel concoction I have been making with honey, coconut oil, witch hazel and olive oil on my skin" is just weird. No one can sleep with that kind of crap on their skin and it is probably the problem, not the solution.

Your problem is not with CPAP pressure, but with the interface. You seem to tolerate cloth better than silicone, and that may be a clue to the root of the problem. I would encourage you to stop adding your home-made salve to the problem, and focus on overcoming the sensitivity you have to something in contact with your facial skin through the night. The physical pain and discomfort is not normal. That is the problem, not CPAP, and this is why your supplier has given up. There is nothing they can do until you overcome this problem that has nothing to do with CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 23 443 18 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 72 37 minutes ago
Last Post: SingleH
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 4 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 863 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,799 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 271 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.