Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice needed.
RE: Advice needed.
Hi Realtor
In one of your earlier posts, you wrote "I do have a severe Insomnia problem"

Save your money on buying machines and deal with insomnia, AHI does not matter if you,re not getting good night sleep

RobySue wrote a blog titled "adventures-in-hosehead-land - A CPAP and insomnia blog by RobySue"
Go to her profile for the link and pay attention to what she say, she is the president of the insomnia club Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2014, 04:39 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi Realtor
In one of your earlier posts, you wrote "I do have a severe Insomnia problem"

Save your money on buying machines and deal with insomnia, AHI does not matter if you,re not getting good night sleep

RobySue wrote a blog titled "adventures-in-hosehead-land - A CPAP and insomnia blog by RobySue"
Go to her profile for the link and pay attention to what she say, she is the president of the insomnia club Coffee
I have read Roby Sue's Blog and for last 13 month I have tried anything & everything humanly possible to get some sleep but nothing works. Have tried different diet, Lost 75 lbs, I eat very healthy, done moderate exercise, taking all types of herbs & herbal teas, Prescription Medicines but m stumped. Have worked with a shrink & taken depression medicine, Cat scans, 2 Mri's. all type of tests. Only 2 issues have been found one is sleep Apnea(I have been PAPing for 1 yr now) & H-pylori Bacteria (For that I have taken the anti-biotic tri-pac last yr and the Quadruple Therapy this yr but H-pylori is still there. A part from that no other physical Ailment has been diagnosed.
My family doctor has given up on me and I have not visited her office since early this year. I do have my follow up appointment with the sleep doctor in a few days and I can try to ask for the Provogil to work with the Fatigue.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2014, 02:21 PM)archangle Wrote: I believe the VPAP Adapt will do ASV modes and manual CPAP modes.

It will not do Auto CPAP or Auto bilevel/Auto VPAP modes. The ASV modes are "rougher" or "more controlling" to many people. If you don't actually need the special "central apnea" treatment the ASV gives, a normal APAP, bilevel, or auto bilevel machine will probably work better for you.

my favorite is the vpap auto, it can act like an elite, autoset, vpap s, and vpap auto, four machines in one Smile

you're right about the adapt, the old one does cpap and asv mode, the new adds autoasv to that mix.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2014, 10:53 PM)diamaunt Wrote: my favorite is the vpap auto, it can act like an elite, autoset, vpap s, and vpap auto, four machines in one Smile

Five. You forgot to include the Escape. Dielaughing
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 06:36 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-16-2014, 10:53 PM)diamaunt Wrote: my favorite is the vpap auto, it can act like an elite, autoset, vpap s, and vpap auto, four machines in one Smile

I just checked, I don't see "brick" as one of the settings options. Tongue

and it can't imitate an escape auto, because it doesn't have 'apap' mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 07:36 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-17-2014, 06:36 PM)Sleepster Wrote:

I just checked, I don't see "brick" as one of the settings options. Tongue

and it can't imitate an escape auto, because it doesn't have 'apap' mode.
If PS can be set to 0, then the S9 VPAP Auto will act like the S9 AutoSet.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2014, 10:32 AM)robysue Wrote: If PS can be set to 0, then the S9 VPAP Auto will act like the S9 AutoSet.

S9 Autoset has a PS setting, does it not? It's limited to 3?
So, if the S9 VPAP Auto has the PS set 3 or less, then does it not act like the S9 AutoSet?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2014, 06:39 PM)Realtor 1 Wrote: I have read Roby Sue's Blog and for last 13 month I have tried anything & everything humanly possible to get some sleep but nothing works.
I'm sorry that you are having so many on-going problems with insomnia and that nothing I've suggested seems to have helped.

Quote:Have tried different diet, Lost 75 lbs, I eat very healthy, done moderate exercise,
When do you exercise?

Quote:taking all types of herbs & herbal teas, Prescription Medicines but m stumped. Have worked with a shrink & taken depression medicine, Cat scans, 2 Mri's. all type of tests. Only 2 issues have been found one is sleep Apnea(I have been PAPing for 1 yr now) & H-pylori Bacteria (For that I have taken the anti-biotic tri-pac last yr and the Quadruple Therapy this yr but H-pylori is still there. A part from that no other physical Ailment has been diagnosed.
While you mention working with a shrink and herbs and prescription medication, you have NOT talked about any of the following things concerning your sleep problems. And they may be far more important than you think they are:

1) Sleep schedule. Do you have a regular wake up time and a regular bedtime that you attempt to stick with every day, including your days off? Or does your bedtime or wake up time vary dramatically on days off vs work days?

2) Caffeine and alcohol consumption. Both can pretty drastically affect the quality of sleep, and many people are very reluctant to admit that very moderate amounts of either might be aggravating their sleep problems.

3) Worrying too much about the sleep, particularly when in bed. Yeah, I know it's tough to try to "let go" of the worrying when the sleep is really bad. I've had my own real battles with "letting go" of the sleep log that I kept for 2 1/2 years. But eventually I got to the point where I realized that the log had become part of my problem, rather than part of the solution. It was very useful for the first 12-15 months. I'm not sure it continued to be of much use after that, and after most of my insomnia problems were addressed in some fashion, the sleep log did trigger more focus on my sleep than I really needed. I'm not saying that I don't still have insomnia problems (I do), but on most nights, the insomnia problems don't keep me from getting enough sleep to feel decent in the daytime.

4) A description of what kind of insomnia you're dealing with. Many (most) of the herbs & herbal teas and Prescription Medicines can work reasonably well to address sleep onset insomnia, but they're not particularly effective at tackling sleep maintenance insomnia problems. And they're even less effective in dealing with "wake too early for the morning" insomnia.

5) Possible circadian rhythm problems. Sometimes people mistake problems they're experiencing from delayed sleep phase issues or advanced sleep phase issues as insomnia. And most insomnia treatments won't do much to "fix" a circadian rhythm problem. Delayed sleep phase is when your body doesn't get sleepy enough by your desired bedtime: You want (or need) to go to bed by midnight, but the body is not sleepy enough to get and stay asleep until it's 3:00 AM. Advance sleep phase is the opposite. The body wants to wake up before your desired wake time: Your body is ready to WAKE UP (for the day) at 4:30AM regardless of when you went to bed because the body really wants to sleep from 8:30pm - 4:30am. Often times, people with an advanced sleep phase problem will say that they're very tired and sleepy in the evening, but they just gut it out until a more "reasonable" bedtime of 10:30 or 11:30, but once they wake up at 4:30, they just can't get back to sleep.

Quote:My family doctor has given up on me and I have not visited her office since early this year. I do have my follow up appointment with the sleep doctor in a few days
A good place to start the conversation about the insomnia with your sleep doc is with the following:

A) When do you want (or need) to be asleep? As in when do you think bedtime should be and when do you think wake up time should be? Are these times driven by the need to be up and functioning for a job?

B) An accurate description of the problem: Do you have trouble getting to sleep at your desired bedtime? Do you have multiple short wakes throughout the night? Do you have one or more very long wakes on most nights? Do you wake up too early and find yourself unable to get back to sleep?

C) A complete list of prescription sleeping medications that you have already tried: What medication? What dose? How long did you take it? Why did you discontinue it?

D) A complete list of herbs and supplements that you have already tried: Which herbs/supplements? What dose? How long did you take each herb/supplement? Why you discontinued each herb/supplement? Did you take combinations of herbs/supplements? If so, what combinations have you tried.

It may help your sleep doc provide better suggestions for treatment if you can drop the list of previously tried prescription medicine and herbs/supplements by his office and tell the receptionist that you'd like the list added to your medical records and that you'd like the sleep doc to review the previously tried medicines before your appointment.

Quote:and I can try to ask for the Provigil to work with the Fatigue.
Your sleep doc may be willing to prescribe the Provigil since you've been PAPing for a year without much improvement in terms of daytime fatigue. Whether your insurance will cover it is another issue altogether, and not all will.

But the sleep doc may very well want to focus on treating your insomnia/lack of sleep issues first before jumping to prescribing the Provigil: It is usually prescribed for a sleep apnea sufferer only when the OSA patient still has issues with daytime fatigue even though he/she is compliant with PAP therapy (you are) and is sleeping reasonably soundly with the PAP machine (you are not).
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2014, 10:52 AM)justMongo Wrote: S9 Autoset has a PS setting, does it not? It's limited to 3?

It's EPR, and I don't if it does exactly the same thing as PS, but it's at least close.

Quote:So, if the S9 VPAP Auto has the PS set 3 or less, then does it not act like the S9 AutoSet?

Yes, I think it does. The VPAP also allows you to make adjustments to the shape and timing of the inspiration pressure. I don't know if the Autoset will let you do that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2014, 04:17 PM)Sleepster Wrote: CPAP machines are not reliable discriminators between central and obstructive events. It's possible that they are just hypopneas, but as I said, if they're interfering with your sleep it's something to discuss with the doc.

My belief is that if an S9 or PRS1 says "clear airway" or "central," it probably IS a true central. However, if it says "obstructive," it may actually be central.

Apart from the question of reliably detecting a clear airway, I've read that sometimes the airway will collapse at the same time as there is no chest effort to breathe. In this case, the event meets the definition of a central apnea and needs central apnea techniques to eliminate or reduce.

I don't have a good idea of what percent of centrals occur without clear airways, but it's probably fairly small.

I'm a bit more skeptical about how often the machine is unable to detect the clearness of the airway by sensing pressure and airflow through a humidifier, 6 foot hose, CPAP mask of varying types, patient's nose and mouth, nasal passages, mask leaks, mouth leaks, etc. My gut feel is that they don't flag it as "clear airway" unless the indications are unambiguous. Detecting a clear airway seems to require a good deal of finesse.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,783 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,515 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.