Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice on AHI and Leaks please
Advice on AHI and Leaks please
Hi all, slowly but surely getting used to cpap being part of my life.

My AHI scores have been good, all under 2.5 except one which was 7.58. Not sure what happened that night.
Anyway my concern is leaks. My leaks range from between 8.00-9.60.
These numbers are over a seven day period.

Does it matter if my leaks are this high if my AHI's are this low? This is my concern?
Should I be trying to bring my leaks down?

Cheers,

Gabby

PS. Bathroom trips have cut down to about twice a night from four or five a night, so very happy with that.
Still quite sleepy in daytime, but not napping every day now, which I am also happy about.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice on AHI and Leaks please
Good evening Gabby, or good morning... Whatever it is down there in upside down land. It sounds like you're doing quite well, so keep on doing what you're doing. I don't know if that's the "high" leak, the 95% leak or whatever, but they're not too bad so don't stress about them. It sounds as if you are one with your machine. That's a good thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2014, 07:18 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Good evening Gabby, or good morning... Whatever it is down there in upside down land. It sounds like you're doing quite well, so keep on doing what you're doing. I don't know if that's the "high" leak, the 95% leak or whatever, but they're not too bad so don't stress about them. It sounds as if you are one with your machine. That's a good thing.

Hi RG, yes I feel I am one, thank you. I just don't understand this leak thing and how many I am allowed to have. I see the green smiley face but am I meant to be trying to achieve nil leaks and I don't understand this 95% thing.
It is morning, 10.25am, 26th Feb. What about you, what time and date Re you at?
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby they need to be below 24l so your doing fine, keep at it
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2014, 07:24 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(02-25-2014, 07:18 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Good evening Gabby, or good morning... Whatever it is down there in upside down land. It sounds like you're doing quite well, so keep on doing what you're doing. I don't know if that's the "high" leak, the 95% leak or whatever, but they're not too bad so don't stress about them. It sounds as if you are one with your machine. That's a good thing.

Hi RG, yes I feel I am one, thank you. I just don't understand this leak thing and how many I am allowed to have. I see the green smiley face but am I meant to be trying to achieve nil leaks and I don't understand this 95% thing.
It is morning, 10.25am, 26th Feb. What about you, what time and date Re you at?

4:30 pm the 25th. Since you're about a day ahead of me can I write you to find out who wins the Super Bowl next year before the betting windows close?

You're going to have leaks. That is not important. What is important is you want them to not get out of hand, meaning you want them to be below 24 or so 95% of the time. You probably will not acheive "nil" leaks. You're going to lose some air through the mask, the mouth, the ears, the holes in your head, or something. So don't worry about it. What you want is to maintain your AHA! moments to less than 5, and you're doing that. So good job!
Post Reply Post Reply
No two nights are the same so we're going to have a few nights here and there where we look at the number and go "What the heck?!"

The AHI is but one part of the picture, too. How you feel is a much larger part.

As for the leak rate, I am going to assume that is the leak rate as reported by SleepyHead. If so, then you're doing good.

Like Retired Guy said, it's not just that you had the leak, but what the 95% was. That will tell you more than anything else.

After that, you look at how often you had the high leak and how long it lasted.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2014, 07:34 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Gabby they need to be below 24l so your doing fine, keep at it

Cheers Tez, that's all I needed to know.
Wasn't sure whether to go in to panic mode or not and to start looking for a new mask.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2014, 08:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No two nights are the same so we're going to have a few nights here and there where we look at the number and go "What the heck?!"

The AHI is but one part of the picture, too. How you feel is a much larger part.

As for the leak rate, I am going to assume that is the leak rate as reported by SleepyHead. If so, then you're doing good.

Like Retired Guy said, it's not just that you had the leak, but what the 95% was. That will tell you more than anything else.

After that, you look at how often you had the high leak and how long it lasted.

Hi Paula,
Thanks, I was understanding everyone's help including yours, until, you mentioned the 95% thing, this is where I get lost.
Yes the numbers I gave you for my leaks were taken from SleepyHead underneath the 95%.
I don't understand what the min. med. and max. mean.
Also where do I go to find out how often and how long they lasted?
I suppose it's the graph is it? Is that the only way of finding this out?

I am very happy though that everyone has said I have nothing to worry about. That is indeed great news.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby, leaks are definitely a personal thing. While my leak numbers have been fine pretty much every day of my treatment, when I looked at the graphs I noticed there were big spikes disrupting my sleep (I would often wake up and disconnect the hose during the big ones). Adding a chinstrap really, really improved the quality of my sleep.

So, does it matter? If you don't feel like you are getting quality sleep, then trying to reduce the leaks through various methods is definitely worth a shot. If you are, then yes your leak and AHI numbers are superb and no problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Everyone for your help. It all sounds very positive, so I think I will stop worrying about my leaks and just get on with it.
I will start to worry if and when they get up near 24, is that right?

Sleep tight all...
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 293 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 170 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 862 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.