Advice on Digital TV - help!
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

Question Advice on Digital TV - help!
Well, we survived for years and years (and still are surviving) with a good old fashioned tube-type analog television. My in-laws gave us their large old Toshiba analog TV years ago. It is heavy as a load of bricks and we have had it hooked up via our digital-to-analog converter box that we purchased during the digital over-the-air conversion period in 2009.

We still use our analog TV for over the air broadcasts (no cable or satellite monthly charges, nor do we want that added expense). My wife and I both watch NetFlix from time to time ($7.99 per month). Mostly for the older TV shows that are available.

So, her birthday is coming up and I'd like to get a low-end, decent digital flat screen TV to replace "THE TON OF BRICKS" tube TV that currently sits in our living room, on which the picture has slowly degraded over the past few months.

I've noticed that prices have come way down recently for digital flat screens. I don't have much in the budget, (I'd like to spend around $300). But I've seen some available for around that amount. I'm thinking something like a 32 inch or slightly bigger screen - we don't have that much space and I'd like to put it in the corner where the old tube TV is now located.

I sure could use some advice - for instance:

1. What brands to avoid? What brands are best?

2. Pretty sure that we can't get an LED or Plazma, it's probably an LCD, right?

3. Screen resolution - what to get 720p or 1080p or what?

4. Rear connections - what's important? We currently have a cheap $80 BluRay/DVD player (can use HDMI or RCA connectors), currently runs NetFlix for us also, plus I have an old stereo amplifier (1990's) that has RCA connectors on the rear that I can run audio through to my 1990's stereo speaker system (or do I need to do that?).

What is the hertz rating - a lot of what I see on the low-end stuff is 60 Hz, is it necessary or that much better to go with something higher?

6. Any other features I should be looking for?

Thanks for any help all you TV-techies can offer!

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

04-11-2013 04:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

RE: Advice on Digital TV - help!
SS, I've been very happy with Toshiba and LG TVs. We currently have five TVs in the house (pretty bad when you consider there are just the two of us). Two are Toshiba, one is a Samsung, the BIG one is a Sharp, and the other is an LG. Best resolution would be the 1080p; definitely want HDMI connections in the back. I have a couple of other suggestions which I'll PM you with.

Bob.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-11-2013 08:12 PM
cbramsey Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

Actually, most of the newer TVs are LEDs. Plasma and LCD TVs are becoming rarer.

I was very impressed with the picture quality of the Sharp Aquos line of TVs.

You might want to check out the TV Forums.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-12-2013 09:27 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

I don't really know... On a Greeters salary I'd never be able to afford one anyway!!!Laugh-a-lotDielaughingCoffee
04-12-2013 09:53 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Thanks for the help everyone. Just got our property tax bill for this year and they increased it 40% over last year. So, unfortunately the TV purchase will have to take a back seat to the tax man. I'm hoping I can find better deals later this year perhaps.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

04-12-2013 12:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
rickz1 Offline

New Members

Machine: Stellar 150
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Comfortlite
Humidifier: H4I
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 27
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(04-11-2013 04:41 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Well, we survived for years and years (and still are surviving) with a good old fashioned tube-type analog television. My in-laws gave us their large old Toshiba analog TV years ago. It is heavy as a load of bricks and we have had it hooked up via our digital-to-analog converter box that we purchased during the digital over-the-air conversion period in 2009.

We still use our analog TV for over the air broadcasts (no cable or satellite monthly charges, nor do we want that added expense). My wife and I both watch NetFlix from time to time ($7.99 per month). Mostly for the older TV shows that are available.

So, her birthday is coming up and I'd like to get a low-end, decent digital flat screen TV to replace "THE TON OF BRICKS" tube TV that currently sits in our living room, on which the picture has slowly degraded over the past few months.

I've noticed that prices have come way down recently for digital flat screens. I don't have much in the budget, (I'd like to spend around $300). But I've seen some available for around that amount. I'm thinking something like a 32 inch or slightly bigger screen - we don't have that much space and I'd like to put it in the corner where the old tube TV is now located.

I sure could use some advice - for instance:

1. What brands to avoid? What brands are best?

2. Pretty sure that we can't get an LED or Plazma, it's probably an LCD, right?

3. Screen resolution - what to get 720p or 1080p or what?

4. Rear connections - what's important? We currently have a cheap $80 BluRay/DVD player (can use HDMI or RCA connectors), currently runs NetFlix for us also, plus I have an old stereo amplifier (1990's) that has RCA connectors on the rear that I can run audio through to my 1990's stereo speaker system (or do I need to do that?).

What is the hertz rating - a lot of what I see on the low-end stuff is 60 Hz, is it necessary or that much better to go with something higher?

6. Any other features I should be looking for?

Thanks for any help all you TV-techies can offer!

Hi,
I am not an expert, but you might try [link removed]. they have a different item every day and they occasionall have TVs. The prices are not bad and shipping is a flat $5.
LED TVs tend to be brighter than the others.
If you watch fast mooving stuff like NASCAR, etc, a lower hz will tend to give a choppiness to the picture when the cars are going arould the track. I would get the highest hz you can. Note that the smaller the screen, the less you will notice the choppiness.
As to brand, I don't know. I have a Sony and I am happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Commercial links are not allowed. Please take a moment to read them. If you wish to refer someone to a website or product, simply say something like "Google X to find it". - Moderator

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
Per Apnea Board Rules, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. If you'd like to refer to the web address of a specific online CPAP Supplier (DME or Durable Medical Equipment retail store), please read our instructions on how to do that - guidelines are placed on our CPAP Supplier List (link at the top right of our forums). If you would like to help another member with a commercial link that does not lead to CPAP supplier, please either send them a Private Message (PM), or post your link in our Commercial Posts Forum - you may then direct others to that post. Thanks for your understanding.
-----
04-12-2013 02:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Money Financial advice I wouldn't pay for DeepBreathing 3 126 12-06-2016 06:01 AM
Last Post: Perchas
  advice on updating Win 7 storywizard 7 202 10-13-2016 11:09 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Lawnmower advice........ GrammaBear 22 786 08-31-2016 10:11 AM
Last Post: AlanE
Question Flower Advice Please justMongo 6 857 08-12-2015 11:31 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Sage advice... retired_guy 6 1,026 03-18-2015 02:41 PM
Last Post: Homerec130