Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice on Inspire device
RE: Advice on Inspire device
(06-01-2021, 10:25 PM)JaneAM; OpalRose; SuperSleeper; Dormeo; Clownbell; SarcasticDave94; GrumpyHere Wrote: Hi - I’m considering the idea of having the Inspire device implanted in order to deal with my sleep apnea.  I have been using my CPAP now for 5 years and don’t hate it - so I am not all that driven to get the Inspire device.  However, my results with my CPAP average around 4 to 5  AHI (better than the 31 AHI I originally had!) -so am wondering if an Inspire device might give me better results.  I still feel some fatigue in the afternoons - would like to get over that.  (Although - I am almost age 69 - perhaps afternoon fatigue is part of life..).  Overall I am fit and still working - so looking at the Inspire as a solution that might make my sleep even better.   Thanks  for any advice.  Also, I would appreciate being directed to any discussion groups of Inspire users.   Thank you!

Update - and thanks to all who gave advice!  I just saw a very nice and seemingly experienced ENT doctor who does the Inspire implant. After seeing the device in person (it's big to my eyes - I expected a microchip - but it's apparently the same size as a pacemaker, if that helps anyone visualize it), and seeing a diagram of the wires that run both to your chest and up through your jaw to your tongue, and hearing about adjustment issues, I'll stick with my CPAP!  I think the Inspire is only for those who absolutely can't or won't use their CPAP.  I've been using my CPAP for 5 years now, and while I don't love it, I wear it every night and will stick with it given the present state of Inspire surgery.

Also - I just purchased a new ResMed AirSense 10 Auto and really like it.  Better than my 5 year old Philips DreamStation and its baggage of causing medical problems.

Finally - the cost of the Inspire? Doctor said $60,000 to $100,000, and all but a couple hundred dollars would be covered by my Medicare and Blue Cross supplement policy.  But isn't that typical of medical costs?  $60 to 100K?  Seems like quite a range - you'd think there would be a more exact price.  Maybe it reaches 100K if you have complications.

Anyway - thanks again to the community on this forum for helping me sort through things.    Jane
Post Reply Post Reply
Jane, thanks for sharing the additional information, and it's great to hear you're liking your ResMed machine. So many of us find the algorithm for EPR much more comfortable than the PR flex; maybe that's part of what is making a difference for you.

A cheap and easy fix would have been nice, but I imagine it is good to be confident you're doing the best thing by sticking with PAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for posting the info. This can help others in future considering this.

My SCS, spinal cord stimulator implant, is a mirror of your comment. Control and battery pack similar to a pacemaker and about $100K.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 298 7 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 175 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,802 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,042 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.