Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice on increasing pressure
Advice on increasing pressure
Recently I switched from a the N-20 nasal mask to a F-20 full face mask. On the nasal mask I was having as excellent seal record and AHI scores. But I wanted to eliminate the use of mouth tape and chin strap so I switched to a full mask.  While I had had an occasional AHI spike prior to the change, after starting the full mask my AHI has been around 20. 

Could this possibly be connected to my switching of the mask type?  My doctor says I might have to bump up the pressure but didn't say which one. Should I raise the minimum setting? How much?  The current settings are 5 cm minimum and 30
15 cm maximum.

Of course I don't want to change the pressure if it's not indicated.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Hal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice on increasing pressure
There should be a setting on the AutoSense for the type of mask. I would try that first. I did something similar. I started with a FF mask and switched to the nasal, and then switched back to a FF (actually a hybrid F30i) because all the things I had to do to stop mouth leaks. This setting does help. My perception is that the FF mask has more of an aircushion.

Your member info shows a maximum pressure of 15 but in the post you say it is 30. If it is really 30, I'd say they are thinking you need more pressure support than 5.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I had an error in my original post regarding my max pressure setting. As I say in my profile, the current maximum setting is 15 psi.

And the machine setting has been changed to reflect the FF mask.

If it's possible to correct the original post, I'd appreciate the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2022, 06:35 PM)HaL R Wrote: If it's possible to correct the original post, I'd appreciate the info.

Corrected! Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We can and will help. But we do that with data - we get data from OSCAR, totally free download at the top of the site. 

You need to have a SD card in the machine while you sleep. Post the charts and you will get the help you need. 

Please look at the link in my signature on graphs to get a little hep on what to post.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, OpalRose. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Stacey. I'll give it a try.

Hal
Post Reply Post Reply

Stacey, here is my chart. Thanks, much.

Hal
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok - that shows quite a bit.  First look at the H and O events. You can see you have many grouped events (they are very close together).  That shows positional apnea. 

Positional apnea is when you sleep in a position where you cut off your own airway. No pressure changes can help. Think of it like a kink in a garden hose. No water can get through without removing the kink. 

Positional apnea is also called chin tucking. It happens when your chin drops down to your Sternum cutting off your own airway. 

Many times (not always) it happens when you sleep on your back. Or it might be to high of a pillow(s). If neither is the problem then you may need to wear a collar. 

I have a link to collars in my signature. It shows people without using a collar and the same people with collars. It is a huge difference. Please take a look at it. 

I would also make 2 other changes. 

Move the min to 7
Turn the EPR on full time set to 3. 

Give it a try and post tomorrow.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hal,
When you repost a chart, leave the snore graph off and add the pressure graph.

Use the F12 key (on a Mac, Fn+F12) to take a Screenshot.  Use the Standard  View This will list the graphs we need to see.

And as Stacy noted, most of your Apneas are positional.  Once you get that under control, we should see some improvement.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,818 4 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 302 Today, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 179 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 873 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.