Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice on leaks please.
RE: Advice on leaks please.
(03-11-2015, 09:42 PM)Seabird Wrote: That's amazing. When I use the P10 I get more like 14/26/15%.

(03-11-2015, 04:50 PM)AshSF Wrote: With nasal pillows, I expect to see a flat leak rate of 0L/min. On the P10, my last 30 days, Av/90%/LL have been 0.20/1.00/0.00%. Most nights my max=min=0L/min.

That is why P10 is an amazing mask. I don't even need to adjust it too much. And I am an active side sleeper.

With a FFM, I saw some leaks. And about once a month, a large leak flag for 10% of the night.
Thank you Seabird.

In my case, I somehow keep my mouth shut while sleeping. I never knew I had this ability till I tried the P10.

If your leak rate is due to mouth leak (you can see it in your SH leak graphs), then I suggest you try a chinstrap initially; and longer term, train yourself to do the airlock with your tongue resting at back of front teeth.

If it isn't the mouth leak, then you need to anchor the P10 a little better. Make sure that the 2 arms (extending from the pillows to the head) are resting in the place where the top of the ears meet the head. Then split the top part of the headgear. Make the lower part go below the bump in the back of the head (also called external occipital protuberance). Make the upper part go a bit towards the forehead (the more forward it goes, the less tight the mask feels at the nose). Try this and see if your leak rates change.

PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Trail rider @8 I always have a green face no matter how bad my leaks are, well I may be asleep when it turns red.
I get the 95% results from SleepyHead.
Good luck with your leaks.

Sleepster after just over twelve months using a sleep machine I still suffer from severe tiredness. I have a good seven hours sleep a night.
I had a new sleep study done this past January and they said my leaks were mostly mouth leaks, they tried a FFM but found I suited pillows and a chinstrap better.
They also said the leaks were probably very likely for my continued tiredness.
I don't see the Doctor for my follow up appointment until May. I received a brief rundown from the nurse over the phone.
I am totally compliant. It's just these horrid leaks.

AshSF you mentioned that you could tell the leaks were coming from the mouth on the Sleepyhead graphs. Could you tell me how you do that please? I have never been able to tell the difference between the leaks and where they are coming from.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
It's hard to say what is happening. I get similar levels of leaks with a chinstrap as without.

(03-12-2015, 12:13 AM)AshSF Wrote:
(03-11-2015, 09:42 PM)Seabird Wrote: That's amazing. When I use the P10 I get more like 14/26/15%.

(03-11-2015, 04:50 PM)AshSF Wrote: With nasal pillows, I expect to see a flat leak rate of 0L/min. On the P10, my last 30 days, Av/90%/LL have been 0.20/1.00/0.00%. Most nights my max=min=0L/min.

That is why P10 is an amazing mask. I don't even need to adjust it too much. And I am an active side sleeper.

With a FFM, I saw some leaks. And about once a month, a large leak flag for 10% of the night.
Thank you Seabird.

In my case, I somehow keep my mouth shut while sleeping. I never knew I had this ability till I tried the P10.

If your leak rate is due to mouth leak (you can see it in your SH leak graphs), then I suggest you try a chinstrap initially; and longer term, train yourself to do the airlock with your tongue resting at back of front teeth.

If it isn't the mouth leak, then you need to anchor the P10 a little better. Make sure that the 2 arms (extending from the pillows to the head) are resting in the place where the top of the ears meet the head. Then split the top part of the headgear. Make the lower part go below the bump in the back of the head (also called external occipital protuberance). Make the upper part go a bit towards the forehead (the more forward it goes, the less tight the mask feels at the nose). Try this and see if your leak rates change.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2015, 03:50 AM)Gabby Wrote: AshSF you mentioned that you could tell the leaks were coming from the mouth on the Sleepyhead graphs. Could you tell me how you do that please? I have never been able to tell the difference between the leaks and where they are coming from.

You should look at the leaks graph on Sleepyhead. Mouth leaks typically have a flat-ish peak for multiple minutes at a time. And a mouth leak is typically very large in volume compared to the regular leak of a nasal pillow. You can start a new thread and post some of the night's leak rate graphs, where you suspect you had mouth leaks. Some of the more experienced members here can look at them and let you know.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks AshSF for the information. I will check it out and if I can will post some photos of the graphs. Thank you.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 4 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.