Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice on options
RE: Advice on options
There are 2 basic types of sleep studyies.

PSG (polysomnography) - where they determine IF you have sleep apnea. You will usually have EKG, flow sensor (like wearing oxygen to your nose), pulse oximeter (little sensor on your finger, EEG (checking what stage of sleep you are in) and belly band (to measure diaphragm movement.

Titratrion - where they treat your apneas/hypopneas. Usually starting with a very low pressure until you get to sleep and then slowly turning up the pressure until all or most of the apneas/hypopneas go away. (pnea = breathing, "a" = without, apnea = without breathing, "hypo" = beneath/below, hypopnea = below normal or shallow breathing)

If you meet the criteria (demonstrate a high enough AHI/desats/etc) , they can do a "split-night" study and jump straight to the titration so you can get both part done in one night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm getting the first done only. Depending on the results there will be a follow up one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2014, 01:42 PM)Visitor Wrote: I'm getting the first done only. Depending on the results there will be a follow up one.

That is what they told me, but after seeing me stop breathing something like 120 times, they went to titration and a CPAP for the second half (well, most of the night!).
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll find out Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I found out: I need a CPAP.

There are a few options: Orega systems but also Philips Respironics. Any feedback on this? I hope to get some info ahead here, to ask the right questions. Very relieved that matters are progressing. Looking forward to get more helpful feedback here, and I'm very grateful for the advice given already!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2014, 12:05 PM)Visitor Wrote: There are a few options: Orega systems but also Philips Respironics. Any feedback on this?

Recommended machines:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

-

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there as similar link for masks? I have an appointment tomorrow with a representative of one of the companies and hope to have some questions ready.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2014, 04:30 PM)Visitor Wrote: Is there as similar link for masks?
There is no such link for masks, not necessary what works for me going to work for you or anyone else ... everyone is different
Matter of trial and error to figure out what mask type and brand will works for you better than others

Post Reply Post Reply
masks here cost 100 Euro - 140 Euro (135$ - 190$), not exactly cheap to go through trial and error...
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2014, 05:01 PM)Visitor Wrote: masks here cost 100 Euro - 140 Euro (135$ - 190$), not exactly cheap to go through trial and error...
We pay more in Australia, they should have some sort of mask trials program in place, here you pay small fee to try masks and the fees get discounted when you buy the mask

I don,t buy from local suppliers anymore since figured out what mask type/size works for me, I get replacement parts and other stuff from US
Suppliers #2 (don,t sell mask parts separately) and #10 ship internationally
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 785 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.