Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice on settings
RE: Advice on settings
Try Min 8
Max 11
EPR=3 (because your CAI was only "up" in your most recent night I'm not too worried about it, but it does bear watching.) That should help your late night breathing some, if not try min=9, max=12
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2021, 01:26 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Some people avoid taping, for two reasons.

(1) If you suddenly need to vomit in the night, the tape could lead to your aspirating some vomitus, which would be bad.  However, you can sacrifice one strip to see for yourself how well you can pull you mouth open in an emergency using only your jaw muscles.

(2) If there is a power failure and your machine goes off while you're sleeping, you won't be able to do the natural thing and open your mouth to breathe. As for that, out of an abundance of caution, I've put a circuit alarm in a plug on the same circuit as my machine. It will wake me up immediately if I lose power to the machine.

thanks for detailing the reasons, I recall reading some threads that it has certain risks but never of considered the above examples.....does a chin strap also pose the same risks?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2021, 01:47 PM)Geer1 Wrote: In your original post you commented on congestion in morning. Do you get that without CPAP as well or only when using CPAP?

good point, not sure since i have not slept without it in months, will have to try it a couple of nights (assuming wifey agrees since I willl snore loud again Too-funny )  when I remove my mask in the early mornings, I think I have been opening my mouth.. going to have to put a notepad beside the machine so I can take notes

Quote:RE: Advice on settings
Try Min 8
Max 11
EPR=3 (because your CAI was only "up" in your most recent night I'm not too worried about it, but it does bear watching.) That should help your late night breathing some, if not try min=9, max=12

Gideon
- Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter
 thanks will try those settings
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason for the question was two fold.

If you have congestion regularly then a nasal mask is not ideal and you probably should just try a full face mask.

If the congestion is new and you think it is being caused by CPAP then it is probably what is called CPAP rhinitis. Adjusting the humidity settings may help. Some people need it set for higher humidity, some people need it set for lower humidity. You can only really find out by trying to adjust humidity settings and see if congestion is better or worse.

If you can't remember having congestion issues before starting CPAP I would try adjusting humidity settings and see if that has any effect (rather than stopping CPAP).
Post Reply Post Reply
I never thought about the potential risks of a chinstrap, but the respiratory technician with whom I worked when I started CPAP was full of cautions about taping but had me try several kinds of chinstraps. So I'd say the medical community doesn't regard chinstraps as posing risks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin straps only hold your teeth together and lower jaw up. Most people can pinch their nose, clench their teeth and still breath out of their mouth. That is why they usually don't stop mouth leaks although they can minimize them.

Most of us have encountered a time where CPAP shut off etc. You don't suffocate, you wake up in a panic trying to figure out how to breath or in some cases rip off the mask without even knowing it. I don't really consider taping or chin strap dangerous for that reason.

Although I do have a funny story on the topic. My grandpa didn't want to try mouth taping so one night my grandma applied one while he was sleeping. Everything was fine but he sure was surprised when he woke up and I think he had some choice words for her. I do not recommend applying mouth tape on someone else while they sleep...
Post Reply Post Reply
"If you have congestion regularly then a nasal mask is not ideal and you probably should just try a full face mask."

yes, we have to try and try again to find what works and that's a uniquely individual determination when it comes to masks.

I've never used a nasal mask and hardly used a ffm, but my experience has been that my nasal 'pillow' mask is really really good at breaking through congested sinuses. the worst case might take 15 minutes of hard forced breathing to get there, but it always does if I persevere.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not tried pillows or nasal masks long enough to have any successes. However, I too heard that pillows like the ResMed P10 can blow the congestion out. Having been familiar with the frustration and stress the full face mask presents in fit, adjusting, and more leak issues, it's not a light thing to consider full face masks for congestion.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2021, 09:10 PM)Geer1 Wrote: The reason for the question was two fold.

If you have congestion regularly then a nasal mask is not ideal and you probably should just try a full face mask.

If the congestion is new and you think it is being caused by CPAP then it is probably what is called CPAP rhinitis. Adjusting the humidity settings may help. Some people need it set for higher humidity, some people need it set for lower humidity. You can only really find out by trying to adjust humidity settings and see if congestion is better or worse.

If you can't remember having congestion issues before starting CPAP I would try adjusting humidity settings and see if that has any effect (rather than stopping CPAP).

I think it started when the weather over here started getting colder.... will try adjusting the humidity settings

(04-24-2021, 12:44 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Chin straps only hold your teeth together and lower jaw up. Most people can pinch their nose, clench their teeth and still breath out of their mouth. That is why they usually don't stop mouth leaks although they can minimize them.

Most of us have encountered a time where CPAP shut off etc. You don't suffocate, you wake up in a panic trying to figure out how to breath or in some cases rip off the mask without even knowing it. I don't really consider taping or chin strap dangerous for that reason.

Although I do have a funny story on the topic. My grandpa didn't want to try mouth taping so one night my grandma applied one while he was sleeping. Everything was fine but he sure was surprised when he woke up and I think he had some choice words for her. I do not recommend applying mouth tape on someone else while they sleep...

hahaha! I can imagine how annoyed he would have been....waking up with your mouth taped shut and there is only one other person in the room  Too-funny

(04-24-2021, 03:28 PM)sheepless Wrote: "If you have congestion regularly then a nasal mask is not ideal and you probably should just try a full face mask."

yes, we have to try and try again to find what works and that's a uniquely individual determination when it comes to masks.

I've never used a nasal mask and hardly used a ffm, but my experience has been that my nasal 'pillow' mask is really really good at breaking through congested sinuses. the worst case might take 15 minutes of hard forced breathing to get there, but it always does if I persevere.

I will try that....harder breathing for a longer time....I think I was removing the mask after just 30 seconds of discomfort

(04-24-2021, 07:58 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I've not tried pillows or nasal masks long enough to have any successes. However, I too heard that pillows like the ResMed P10 can blow the congestion out. Having been familiar with the frustration and stress the full face mask presents in fit, adjusting, and more leak issues, it's not a light thing to consider full face masks for congestion.

have had my eye of the P10 for a while due to the high reviews, will most likely experiment with one once my N30 needs replacing
Post Reply Post Reply
If it got worse with colder weather (which usually means drier weather) then I would try increasing humidity setting one notch to see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,783 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 786 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.