Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice on spare machine for weekend vacation house
Advice on spare machine for weekend vacation house
Hi All,

I've been on APAP therapy for a little over 2 years with very successful results.  I'm using the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto.  Over that time, my average pressure is 11.1 and my AHI is typically 2 or less with my CA's 1 or less.  I gradually changed my range settings from 6-20cm as originally prescribed to 10-15 because I like to get more air right away and the higher pressure doesn't bother me.

Recently, I accidentally left my machine at our far away vacation home which we travel to almost every weekend in the Summer.  I was forced to go without it for 5 nights and I was miserable.

As a result, I am looking to get a second machine to just use on the weekends during the Summer.  I definitely do not want to spend almost $900 for another Airsense 10 machine and was considering just getting a CPAP with one set pressure since it will be only used occasionally.

I am considering the Resmed Airstart 10 CPAP because it is very affordable but I am on the fence about whether I need to spend a few hundred more for an Auto machine that will only be used on weekends.

Does anyone know if the water tank and filters are the same for the Airstart 10 as for the Airsense 10?

Just looking for a little feedback on pros and cons.

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice on spare machine for weekend vacation house
Sometimes you can find a good buy on a machine on Craigslist. I have a Philips BiPAP Auto 960 to backup my unit and use that at the summer cottage. Nothing wrong with the Airstart as a backup, but I don't know about whether parts are interchangeable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I would recommend (and have done) is to buy a second identical machine that is used for: 1) for backup capability, and 2) travel. I have my backup machine handy with all the needed accessories (duplicate mask) in the standard travel case. My wife knows it is ready to go in case I have a medical emergency and end up in the hospital. Vendor #10 for one has great deals on the ResMed APAP from time-to-time, so you may want to signup to get their newsletter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep an eye on Supplier #2. You may be able to find a good deal. They sell used and new open boxed units.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed AirMini or the Dreamwear GO (both reviewed elsewhere) may be good recent options. The ResMed machine not available until end of month I believe.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally would recommend getting a used cpap. Most people do fine with straight pressure for a few nights, so you don't have to get an auto. You can test that one night by setting your machine to straight pressure at your current 95%. I would stick with the brand you have already though - less issues switching between algorithms. Check Supplier #2 for some good buys. Call them. A Resmed S8 or S9 might just be what you are looking for and since you only need it for a limited time period, you might ask if they have a deal on a higher hour one. I chose to go the Craigslist route several times and now have a match for my Autosense For Her. But, had I had been considering a Devilbliss as another option but the cheap one didn't have Smartflex and I find I really need to have that kind of feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the responses. In the end I decided to pony up and purchase the Resmed Airstart APAP for only about $120 more than the CPAP. I didn't like the idea of buying a used machine. I found out that the water tank and filters are the same as my primary machine which makes things a little easier as far as supplies go since my insurance pays for all of that. Thanks again...
Post Reply Post Reply
Good move. I just bought a back up machine and used the same brand and series only it was BiPAP. The new (gently used) machine was without a humidifier but my humidifier with my APAP fits that perfectly. I can use an HME for humidification if I need to when I travel. It's a real bummer when you don't have your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I finally got my machine back, I slept like a baby for 10 hours. I never sleep that many hours but I needed to catch up. New backup machine gets delivered today so I will never be without again. Thanks to everyone for their feedback Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2017, 09:46 AM)signal13 Wrote: Recently, I accidentally left my machine at our far away vacation home which we travel to almost every weekend in the Summer.  I was forced to go without it for 5 nights and I was miserable.
The following is my odd statement:
As I lurk and read some replies saying how happy they are with or as Signal 13 says miserable without it, it almost sounds like an CPAP "addition" of a sort.  If CPAP indeed helps then all for it. 

But for me the few nights I slept without it, I felt much better in the morning.  I have more difficulty coping and its hard breathing with mask(s) I have had (drowning sensation).  The therapists says try different masks ($400 non-insurance investment so far), sleep on back, sleep on a reflux wedge, sleep on side, sleep in a recliner, loosen/tighten straps, tape mouth shut (wife sure wishes I would keep that tape on 24/7 for some political reason Huh ) .  Taping did however reduce leakage significantly if I believe Sleepyhead statistic.

Suppose to lose weight, but gained four pounds with more outdoor/walking activity and lighter meals, blood sugar has been high 90s pre-diabetic, but now in low 100s.  Almost like CPAP is going in wrong direction after two months!!

But as I say what ever works for ya, go for it. Bigwink
My four cents worth (inflation).

Moderator(s) feel free to delete if falls outside rules or guidelines. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,033 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 169 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,449 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 325 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 455 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 278 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,014 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.