Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice on travel CPAPs
Advice on travel CPAPs
Hi - After about 7 months of use, I've finally become a huge fan of my CPAP (DreamStation APAP with humidifier).   I travel a lot, and am wondering if the mini-CPAPS work as well.  I'm getting weary of hauling this machine around with me. Can anyone give me advice about a brand they like, or refer me to a discussion on this forum that I should read?     Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice on travel CPAPs
I have tried a number of portable so-called travel CPAPs and they do not measure up to my ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10. Yes, they are smaller, lighter, but they were CPAP only, noisier, and lack some of the data capabilities I want.

Since I am not are really weight or space restricted, I found it was easier to carry my full-size unit with me. The case is actually smaller and weighs less than my camera case. If I want to save some weight and space, I use an end-plate and leave the humidifier tank (which adds about 3-inches to the size of the unit. I have a second unit as a go-bag and it is for grab and go situations.

Good luck on your quest.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
You could always wait for one of the new machines Resmed or PR. They are the Airmini and the Dreamstation Go respectively. I don't know if anyone has seen the airmini yet, but the go looks pretty darn portable. I think one of the biggest issues though it the amount of space taken up by the mask and hose. Usually the machine can be shrunk, but the accessories can't. I travel quite a bit as well, and so far I have been just fine dragging my full-size machine with me.

Here is a link to see the GO:

https://www.sleepapnea.com/products/devi...-form.html
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2017, 11:10 PM)C0mbe Wrote: You could always wait for one of the new machines Resmed or PR.  They are the Airmini and the Dreamstation Go respectively.  I don't know if anyone has seen the airmini yet, but the go looks pretty darn portable.  I think one of the biggest issues though it the amount of space taken up by the mask and hose.  Usually the machine can be shrunk, but the accessories can't.  I travel quite a bit as well, and so far I have been just fine dragging my full-size machine with me.  

Here is a link to see the GO:

https://www.sleepapnea.com/products/devi...-form.html

Airmini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC0JdO3bZmY
Post Reply Post Reply
With the projected price of the Resmed AirMini  being around $1600 Aus, or maybe more, I will happily take my Airsense 10 Auto with me when I travel. Added to the fact that you have to use one of only two Resmed masks and it is a no brainer. Too-funny 

James
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the opportunity to try out a Z-1. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Another board member uses a Z-1 regularly and loves it. No, not the same as a large unit, but it works well. My neighbor has bought a Z-1 along with the battery case as his primary unit because he and his wife do travel for 4 months of the year. He'll report back how that works for him, but size and weight wise, it is great. He gave up keeping it on the nightstand as it kept falling off and keeps it on one of those thingies that hold a cpap on the side of the mattress using a bungee cord.

I only travel by car these days, so a full size unit is fine for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2017, 06:53 AM)JamesW Wrote: With the projected price of the Resmed AirMini  being around $1600 Aus, or maybe more, I will happily take my Airsense 10 Auto with me when I travel. Added to the fact that you have to use one of only two Resmed masks and it is a no brainer. Too-funny 

James

You also won't get a Health Fund rebate as it's not a primary CPAP just an optional travel size you'd get as a 2nd machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO the Devilbiss Intellipap2 makes a good travel, as well as home use machine. It is as quiet as the Resmed 10 autoset I hired, very frugal on power & with a fairly small footprint, & can be used with or without the humidifier. Without humidifier the footprint is almost the same size, but overall is less than half the size. Can plug directly into 12 volt power supply with no need for power 'brick/converter'.

The Smartlink desktop software provides similar data to Sleepyhead, (different to the Smartlink app which is really only a 'compliance app' ) albeit in a dated clunky manner compared to Sleepyhead, & is restricted to Windows OS. (I now have it running well on an old XP laptop with 1 Gb ram). If/when Sleepyhead becomes compatible with the DV64 series Devilbiss machine it will be, in my view, about as good as it gets as a travel machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2017, 05:18 PM)lab rat Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 06:53 AM)JamesW Wrote: With the projected price of the Resmed AirMini  being around $1600 Aus, or maybe more, I will happily take my Airsense 10 Auto with me when I travel. Added to the fact that you have to use one of only two Resmed masks and it is a no brainer. Too-funny 

James

You also won't get a Health Fund rebate as it's not a primary CPAP just an optional travel size you'd get as a 2nd machine.

That's an interesting point but could the AirMini also point to the future size of your standard xPAP machine. I'm thinking mobile phones if you get my drift....
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2017, 03:59 AM)holden4th Wrote: That's an interesting point but could the AirMini also point to the future size of your standard xPAP machine. I'm thinking mobile phones if you get my drift....

Uummmm... but mobile phones are getting bigger again these days.   Laugh-a-lot Laugh-a-lot

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,524 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 615 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,447 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 515 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 728 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.