Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice please! (Newbie)
RE: Advice please! (Newbie)
(02-24-2021, 11:19 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If you're in fact dealing with pre-existing Central Apnea, the VAuto, a BPAP without backup breath rate, is likely to be the most wrong machine. ASV that has backup rate is best. Short of that, a CPAP or an AutoSet is OK. But anything short of ASV, you're avoiding CA not treating it. Only ASV treats the CA. Just info if it becomes applicable.

Will a few nights using the Air Curve vAuto and tracking with Oscar reveal to the smart people on this forum whether it looks like i have CSA would be better off with an ASV?  I'm trying to avoid another very expensive sleep study if I can but will go ahead with it if that's the advised option.

Thanks for all the replies - I already have more confidence in this forum than my respiratory doctor...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2021, 11:19 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If you're in fact dealing with pre-existing Central Apnea, the VAuto, a BPAP without backup breath rate, is likely to be the most wrong machine. ASV that has backup rate is best. Short of that, a CPAP or an AutoSet is OK. But anything short of ASV, you're avoiding CA not treating it. Only ASV treats the CA. Just info if it becomes applicable.

Hypothetical question - can a ResMed ASV be set up to work as a standard CPAP/Bi Level if one was not needing the full backup breath rate functionality? (I understand that this wouldn't make any sense economically but just curious)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2021, 06:11 AM)valtos123 Wrote:

Hypothetical question - can a ResMed ASV be set up to work as a standard CPAP/Bi Level if one was not needing the full backup breath rate functionality? (I understand that this wouldn't make any sense economically but just curious)

I can answer this! The ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset can be used as a CPAPA or BiPAP. Someone answered a question I had about what type of machine I had, and I was advised it didn’t matter what my old machine was because my new Airsense 10 Autoset can be used as both!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2021, 07:15 AM)astraith Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 06:11 AM)valtos123 Wrote:

I can answer this! The ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset can be used as a CPAPA or BiPAP. Someone answered a question I had about what type of machine I had, and I was advised it didn’t matter what my old machine was because my new Airsense 10 Autoset can be used as both!

Hey - thanks but I was asking about the Aircurve 10 ASV rather than the AirSense 10! I was under the impression the the Airsense wasn't a bi level but hey what do I know!
Post Reply Post Reply
After reading your post above, I wanted to clear up what could be a misunderstanding. An AirSense has the ability to mimic a Bi-level's ability in 1 cm steps up to 3 cm only and should not be considered if a Bi-level is needed. A Bi-level can go up to 7 cm in .2 cm steps. The Bi-Level(AirCurve) has additional adjustable parameters that allow for further fine-tuning. Maximum inhale pressure time (TiMax) and sensitivity to breath direction change (Trigger), come to mind. Be very careful in your decision based on price.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2021, 08:04 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: After reading your post above, I wanted to clear up what could be a misunderstanding.  An AirSense has the ability to mimic a Bi-level's ability in 1 cm steps up to 3 cm only and should not be considered if a Bi-level is needed.   A Bi-level can go up to 7 cm in .2 cm steps.  The Bi-Level(AirCurve) has additional adjustable parameters that allow for further fine-tuning.  Maximum inhale pressure time (TiMax) and sensitivity to breath direction change (Trigger), come to mind.   Be very careful in your decision based on price.

Thanks for clearing that up. 

Currently I am leaning towards purchasing a Air Curve vAuto and using Oscar to see how the results shape up (with the help of those on this forum).

However, there is a small part of me that is tempted to purchase the ASV so I have the full functionality available (even if not needed). Obviously this could be an unnecessary investment financially but if it made achieving a decent nights kip, it wouldn't bother me.

That's why I was wondering whether it would be feasible to buy an ASV and trying it out in a standard Bi Level (without backup) and sharing the results on here, and configuring the settings from there depending on what the results indicate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Valtos, considering your slim physique and young age, as well as your claimed history of CSA, it is very likely you have central or complex apena. The appropriate machine for that is the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. It is an adaptive servo ventilator that provides positive pressure to deal with obstructive apnea and hypopnea, and uses adaptive or variable pressure support to maintain the breathing rate and volume in individuals with CSA. When a breath is missed, the machine rapidly increases pressure enough to cause a breath. This is a ventilator when needed and a PAP machine otherwise. It is the ideal choice for you, but getting a prescription is not easy without a diagnosis or at least a cooperative doctor.

I see ASV machine from time to time on Craigslist and other secondary sales markets. There is a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV listed now in Perryville Ohio for only $350. It appears the seller was switched to an ST-A ventilator. The listing URL ends with post id: 7280811190. We can't post links here but that should be sufficient to find the listing. Since you are in the UK this presents a big problem as people are very reluctant to trust international buyers.

I really think your best bet is with Supplier #2 for a lightly used Aircurve 10 ASV which is about $1595 USD. I think they will sell to U.K. without prescription.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2021, 08:22 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Astraith, considering your slim physique and young age, as well as your claimed history of CSA, it is very likely you have central or complex apena.  The appropriate machine for that is the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. It is an adaptive servo ventilator that provides positive pressure to deal with obstructive apnea and hypopnea, and uses adaptive or variable pressure support to maintain the breathing rate and volume in individuals with CSA.  When a breath is missed, the machine rapidly increases pressure enough to cause a breath.  This is a ventilator when needed and a PAP machine otherwise.  It is the ideal choice for you, but getting a prescription is not easy without a diagnosis or at least a cooperative doctor.  

I see ASV machine from time to time on Craigslist and other secondary sales markets.  There is a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV listed now in Perryville Ohio for only $350.  It appears the seller was switched to an ST-A ventilator. The listing URL ends with post id: 7280811190.  

Do you mean me or Astraith? lol
Post Reply Post Reply
I significantly edited my post after seeing you are the author of this thread. Please go back to that post.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2021, 08:32 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I significantly edited my post after seeing you are the author of this thread.  Please go back to that post.

Thank you so much - so helpful! 

If I go ahead with the ASV, will I be able to test it out in the style of a Bi Level vAuto if we discover that I don't require its full functionality?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,837 11 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 305 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 392 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.