Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice please! (Newbie)
RE: Advice please! (Newbie)
The ASV will treat any and all obstructive and central sleep apnea. It is unique in its settings and if you have obstructive sleep apnea that can be treated by the Vauto, then that machine costs half as much and is a better choice. Unfortunately, the ASV cannot duplicate the settings of the Vauto, however it does have a CPAP mode. If you can hire an Airsense 10 Autoset or Aircurve 10 Vauto, we could tell you in one-day what your situation is, provided you run it with a SD card and provide an Oscar chart.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2021, 08:42 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The ASV will treat any and all obstructive and central sleep apnea.  It is unique in its settings and if you have obstructive sleep apnea that can be treated by the Vauto, then that machine costs half as much and is a better choice.  Unfortunately, the ASV cannot duplicate the settings of the Vauto, however it does have a CPAP mode.  If you can hire an Airsense 10 Autoset or Aircurve 10 Vauto, we could tell you in one-day what your situation is, provided you run it with a SD card and provide an Oscar chart.

Thanks - I will look into it this afternoon. 

I spoke to the respiratory doctor and he told me that BiPAP machine will not be beneficial to treat UARS. 

He told me the Home Sleep Study did not indicate any Central or Mixed apneas, however, I have read on numerous sources that Home Studies do not accurately detect these? 

He also confirmed that 15% of the study time was spent below 90% oxygen - I only reckon I slept for about 15% of the study to be honest. 

Thanks again - such a relief to finally get some good advice...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2021, 08:42 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The ASV will treat any and all obstructive and central sleep apnea.  It is unique in its settings and if you have obstructive sleep apnea that can be treated by the Vauto, then that machine costs half as much and is a better choice.  Unfortunately, the ASV cannot duplicate the settings of the Vauto, however it does have a CPAP mode.  If you can hire an Airsense 10 Autoset or Aircurve 10 Vauto, we could tell you in one-day what your situation is, provided you run it with a SD card and provide an Oscar chart.

I think I can get a one month trial of a AirSense 10 Autoset. Would analysis using Oscar be able to tell us whether I would benefit from an Air Curve vAuto or an ASV? If so, this seems like the most efficient way of going about it. 

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on my Dr saying BPAP's are not beneficial for UARS... Seems contradictory to a lot of things I have read.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can get the Autoset, we can try CPAP therapy and up to 3-cm of bilevel pressure support. So yes! This will tell us if you have any risk of central apnea, and we can determine if you can stay with the Autoset, move to the Vauto, or if you will need ASV due to centrals. I think it's very worthwhile to get this proof before spending the money.

I disagree with your doctor, and so do other doctors. Read this wiki article: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP My personal experience, coaching hundreds of members with URS, both claimed and real is that the Aircurve 10 Vauto is the best available therapy option. Some are able to get sufficient relief with the limited pressure support of the Autoset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just adding in some ASV info as a user. This is based on ResMed as that's what I've got.

The ASV and VAuto are bilevel but not the same. ASV has backup breath rate. VAuto has time controls but the ASV doesn't, it's Auto algorithm controlled. (Philips SV Auto does have time controls however)

VAuto can't treat CA and the ASV can't act as a VAuto.

A VAuto would likely make CA go up.

The ASV has a CPAP mode but it's straight CPAP as I recall, so it's not going to mimic an AutoSet. One pressure with no EPR CPAP mode is what I mean. Nor is it variable, no Min/Max pressure. Straight CPAP that's on always.

The ASV will treat Central, Obstructive, Hypopnoea and with me Flow Limits are minimal.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2021, 12:20 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Just adding in some ASV info as a user. This is based on ResMed as that's what I've got.

The ASV and VAuto are bilevel but not the same. ASV has backup breath rate. VAuto has time controls but the ASV doesn't, it's Auto algorithm controlled. (Philips SV Auto does have time controls however)

VAuto can't treat CA and the ASV can't act as a VAuto.

A VAuto would likely make CA go up.

The ASV has a CPAP mode but it's straight CPAP as I recall, so it's not going to mimic an AutoSet. One pressure with no EPR CPAP mode is what I mean. Nor is it variable, no Min/Max pressure. Straight CPAP that's on always.

The ASV will treat Central, Obstructive, Hypopnoea and with me Flow Limits are minimal.

Cheers, Dave - I appreciate the added info. 

Do you agree that an Oscar analysis using the Airsense 10 Autoset will be able to provide the necessary info to determine the best course of action?
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally speaking, any data is useful. Specifically yes it can if that's what you've got. Best data is the sleep study, but an AutoSet, a CPAP etc. paired with OSCAR can produce useful info to help identify issues.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2021, 02:00 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Generally speaking, any data is useful. Specifically yes it can if that's what you've got. Best data is the sleep study, but an AutoSet, a CPAP etc. paired with OSCAR can produce useful info to help identify issues.

I have now received the results of my Home Sleep Study. As I said, I'm slightly hesitant of its usefulness as I didn't feel I got much sleep at all. I know the data in this form is not ideal compared to the Oscar screenshots but maybe you can read some value from it prior to me receiving my rental device.

Attached Files
.pdf   SSR.pdf (Size: 539.47 KB / Downloads: 17)
Post Reply Post Reply
OK zero Central or mixed, that's good as it reduces complex treatment measures.

Obstructive at 59.1 and Hypopnoea at 40.9, with a long Hypopnoea at 102.3 seconds. And left side was the most Apnea events with supine being best.

Some Sp02 issues, 80-89% at 51 minutes, looks like below 90% at 75 minutes, your lowest Sp02 at 77%. This is at a level that I'm pretty sure it needs addressed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really didn't sleep much this night. In my opinion, I spent 2 hours max actually asleep and this would've likely been on my left hand side as this is my normal sleep position. I think if I spent 51 mins at 80-89%, this reflects a larger proportion of my overall sleep time than it may seem. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 162 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.