Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice please! (Newbie)
RE: Advice please! (Newbie)
OK yes, then it would be needed to determine where the 51 minutes were, sleep or awake.

Myself, I have had diagnosis of COPD and now downgraded to Asthma. I had a 6 minute walk test with oxygen monitored the duration. Mine was at 90%. Lower than the last test by 6 points. Neither qualify for oxygen as 88% is the qualifying number. Maybe that 6 minute walk test may be necessary or better is overnight Sp02 monitor.

Just keep it in mind, as I'd bring this to doc's attention if this were me. Low oxygen level may affect sleep and overall health.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may also be worth mentioning that at some point the oximeter actually came off my finger. I told the doctor this and he was unconcerned with regards to its effect on the results. I'm not too sure how long it was off for but I reattached once I realised. I was confused to see that there wasn't a major dip to zero % oxygen during the study to reflect this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a speculation, maybe it wasn't off your finger but briefly. Hard to determine though.

If I've not mentioned it before, consider keeping notes on PAP stats in relation to how you feel.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most oximeters have logic built in to recognize the absence of a digit in the probe. Its data will have a null value for this time period, so it won't affect the ultimate reported results.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quite possibly - which I guess throws into question the validity of the results... Anyway, I'll be in touch next week with the Oscar screenshots from the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Hopefully things will be a bit clearer. Thanks again to you both.
Post Reply Post Reply
You seem to be heading the right direction, and will be using an appropriate and capable machine for your problem. This looks like straight-forward obstructive apnea and the Airsense 10 Autoset will do great, and the best-in-class Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto if you can afford it gives more flexibility for pressure support. Sleep studies often seem like you sleep very little and are tired the next day, but most people get enough sleep to get a useful result. You had a lot of activity between 4:30 and 5:00 on the charts, and surprisingly a lot of the apnea and hypopnea was during that activity. Be sure to request copies of any studies and prescriptions for your personal records.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems home based sleep studies are wildly variable in terms of what data they collect and hence their usefulness.

The lack of sleep stage information here is surprising (maybe that is why they call it a "Polygraphy" report rather than a "Polysomnograph"). As such the fact that you didn't sleep much (as you recall) isn't captured by the report at all. A proper PSG scoring ignores breathing events when you're awake.

The activity from 4:30-5:00 could be you tossing about awake or it could be some sort of REM sleep behavior disorder, or something else.

Are you able to ask your doctor for another sleep study - a proper home one with EEG, leg EMG, ECG, chest/abdomen effort belts, etc? I guess a hospital based one is probably less likely to be available at this time in the UK.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2021, 03:07 AM)kappa Wrote: Seems home based sleep studies are wildly variable in terms of what data they collect and hence their usefulness.

The lack of sleep stage information here is surprising (maybe that is why they call it a "Polygraphy" report rather than a "Polysomnograph"). As such the fact that you didn't sleep much (as you recall) isn't captured by the report at all. A proper PSG scoring ignores breathing events when you're awake.

The activity from 4:30-5:00 could be you tossing about awake or it could be some sort of REM sleep behavior disorder, or something else.

Are you able to ask your doctor for another sleep study - a proper home one with EEG, leg EMG, ECG, chest/abdomen effort belts, etc? I guess a hospital based one is probably less likely to be available at this time in the UK.

Yes I have my reservations about its usefulness. The likelihood of a REM sleep behaviour disorder involving movement seems unlikely as my girlfriend of four years has never noticed anything like that. 

I was wearing a chest/abdomen effort belt - I guess this is the RMI score but not sure. 

My current plan is to see if the Oscar results reveal anything of value but a Hospital Sleep Study is something I'd gladly accept if the NHS offer it to me (which I highly doubt)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2021, 04:05 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Most oximeters have logic built in to recognize the absence of a digit in the probe.  Its data will have a null value for this time period, so it won't affect the ultimate reported results.

Wouldn't you still expect it to show up on the line graph though? I wouldve thought the null periods would show as a dip during the period the digit was absent..
Post Reply Post Reply
Valtos I am in the UK and I an reading about your treatment so far and make a few observations. The Resmed VAuto is the best machine for treatment of UARS, I don’t believe Supplier #2 will supply an ASV without a prescription even internationally but not 100%.

I have had a number of sleep studies on the NHS one at home and two in hospital sleep studies. The NHS will provide everything you need but it is a slow process. Ring up your sleep clinic and ask for an emailed copy of your overnight test you are perfectly entitled to copies of any information held. I was given a print out at the analysis stage of my at home sleep study. It is unlikely due to COVID you will get an in hospital test at this time even my annual check overs have become phone consultations.

I self manage my treatment and I purchased my own ASV and my sleep clinic support me with that but this is due To me having complex sleep apnoea.

I am waiting with bated breath for sight of reports from Oscar from you good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 6 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 174 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,802 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 132 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 191 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.