Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice reg. New CPap machine.
Advice reg. New CPap machine.
I am new to this forum & need an answer/ advice to my query.
I have been using the ResMed S9 Elite with a pressure of 15.0 cms. H2O. However, this machine has now broken down & I need to replace it. My supplier advises me to buy the ResMed S9 Escape Auto, since it would titration the therapy automatically to my needs. However, when going through one of the Clinician Manuals, I read that this machine's APAP algorithm only treats Apneas of upto 10 cms. H2O. In that case, the added benefit of the APAP would not help me, would it, since my pressure is 15? In that case, would'nt it be better to get an Elite or an Auoset model?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice reg. New CPap machine.
You can do better than what your supplier is advising.

Is insurance paying for this, or are you buying out of pocket?

If insurance is covering your APAP, your supplier has an incentive to offer a less than optimal machine, more profit for them. Know that insurance pays the same for Cpap or APAP regardless of brand.

Here is a link with breakdown to some of the machines out there.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

The link above explains the differences in the S9 machines.

Don't except anything less than a fully data capable auto Cpap.

If you are paying out of pocket, you can do better than buying from a DME/supplier.

Check the supplier list...see top of page.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am in India and the Medical insurance does not pay for the cost of the machine. Money is therefore, a factor while choosing. I was happy using my Elite, but it conked off in less than 3 years.
Will the Escape Auto do me any good, since the APAP algorithm is not supposed to help upward of 10 cms.? The Autoset available here is more than twice the cost of the Elite.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2016, 04:07 PM)Sharat Wrote: I am in India and the Medical insurance does not pay for the cost of the machine. Money is therefore, a factor while choosing. I was happy using my Elite, but it conked off in less than 3 years.
Will the Escape Auto do me any good, since the APAP algorithm is not supposed to help upward of 10 cms.? The Autoset available here is more than twice the cost of the Elite.

The S9 Escape Auto is one that is not recommended on the link I gave you. I don't know anything about it only going up to 10cm.

The S9 AutoSet would be a better choice.

You will need to compare the cost of buying there in India compared to finding a supplier that would ship to you. Could be more or could end up being less.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sharat,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If memory serves me correctly, the Resmed S9EscapeAuto is not a fully data-capable machine.
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
Much success to you and good luck in getting a machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not know where you found that the S9 Escape Auto only runs to 10 cm-H2O pressure; I believe it runs to 20.
It's not recommended as it's not fully data capable. The SD card will not record any high sample rate data; such as flow and pressure.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not know what you pay for CPAPs in India but I would look at Supplier #2 in the supplier list at the top of the page. You should be able to get an autoset for little more than the Escape Auto and it is fully capable of auto mode all of the time as well as completely data capable. Supplier #2 does ship overseas. We know for sure that it ships to Australia

I am not sure about a Escape Auto only treating apneas up to 10 cm/H2O but the auto mode is only available for a limited time and I think only once but not sure. I think the Escape Auto may be a bad choice and I think your supplier may be trying to get rid of outdated stock since I can not find anything about it on Resmed's site.

I am not sure what your import duties may be but I think it would be worthwhile to contact Supplier #2 and check on the details both financial and otherwise before you make your decision.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
While I am aware that the ResMed S9 Escape Auto is not fully data capable, it seemed to be a mid way compromise between the Elite( fixed pressure) & the Autoset( much too expensive). Importing an old Autoset from Supplier No. 2 is not an option, since the time taken for custom clearance and the duties levied are high. Add to that the freight & it becomes prohibitive.
Page 5 of the Clinical guide to the S9 says that the Escape Auto runs on the APAP MODE, which treats Apneas upto 10 cms. H2O & does not differentiate between different types of Apneas. Since my prescribed pressure is 15 cms. H2O, the APAP mode would not help, will it? I will have to use it in the CPAP mode. In that case, why not just go in for the Elite, which is much cheaper? I need some clarity & advice on this aspect.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2016, 10:03 PM)Sharat Wrote: While I am aware that the ResMed S9 Escape Auto is not fully data capable, it seemed to be a mid way compromise between the Elite( fixed pressure) & the Autoset( much too expensive)....

...Since my prescribed pressure is 15 cms. H2O, the APAP mode would not help, will it? I will have to use it in the CPAP mode. In that case, why not just go in for the Elite, which is much cheaper? I need some clarity & advice on this aspect.

If you are content to leave your treatment to a machine, well that's your choice. Who is the one person in the world most concerned with your health? I bet it's you.

The number one thing you can do, IMO, to help you get the best treatment is to get a properly data capable machine and check your data daily with one of the free programs available on this board. After awhile you see patterns and can make adjustments that can spell the difference between being "treated" and being "well treated". And there are lots of folks on this board who can help you with that.

The APAP machine may well be able to treat you better than a straight CPAP machine, I think that's quite likely though there's no guarantee. BUT you can use your APAP machine in CPAP mode if that's best for you. With a CPAP machine if it isn't the best treatment you are stuck with it.

But I would never settle for anything less than a fully data capable machine. From my experience it's essential for my personal health and I would never compromise on that.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
In India - I suggest that you get a UPS to ensure that the power effects are not impacting on your machine. three years is way too short for any decent electrical machine nowadays.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.