Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice reg. New CPap machine.
RE: Advice reg. New CPap machine.
I have been using a Sine wave inverter( during power breakdowns) and a Stabiliser( for voltage fluctuation) with my machine. The problem is that after a couple of hours of therapy, the machine shuts off & a notice saying' Tube blocked. Check tube' appears. Now I have checked the tube as well as used another new one, but the same thing happens. The technician says that the pcb board & sensors may be at fault & replacing them would cost me almost as much as a new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Escape Auto if I recall correctly, has what is called and "auto trial" mode. It is very limited in that you can only use it for 30 days - ever. In addition, it will only do auto at lower pressures than you need. The Elite is a data capable cpap, between the 2 it is your better choice. The S9 line is deprecated and Resmed has a newer line --- You should use that information to negotiate the best deal on an Autoset, but if you must choose between the other 2, then select the Elite.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2016, 10:03 PM)Sharat Wrote: While I am aware that the ResMed S9 Escape Auto is not fully data capable, it seemed to be a mid way compromise between the Elite( fixed pressure) & the Autoset( much too expensive). Importing an old Autoset from Supplier No. 2 is not an option, since the time taken for custom clearance and the duties levied are high. Add to that the freight & it becomes prohibitive.
Page 5 of the Clinical guide to the S9 says that the Escape Auto runs on the APAP MODE, which treats Apneas upto 10 cms. H2O & does not differentiate between different types of Apneas. Since my prescribed pressure is 15 cms. H2O, the APAP mode would not help, will it? I will have to use it in the CPAP mode. In that case, why not just go in for the Elite, which is much cheaper? I need some clarity & advice on this aspect.

Hi Sharat,

If you have requested by email the setup manual (Clinician Guide) for the S9 Escape Auto, then you know that there is no time limit to how long it will operate in Auto mode. The setup manual covers the S9 Escape, S9 Escape Auto, S9 Elite and S9 AutoSet, and is available for free by following instructions in section three of this webpage: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

It reports nightly AHI and hours used, which is hardly anything at all compared to a fully data-capable machine.

If the pressure is below 10, the machine will take apneas into account when deciding whether the pressure should be raised, but since it cannot distinguish between central versus obstructive apneas, and since higher pressure often makes central apneas worse or more prevalent, the machine does not raise the pressure above 10 based only on the fact that an apnea has just occurred.

In its Auto mode, if Min Pressure is set to 15 and Max Pressure is set to 20, having an apnea will not cause the pressure to increase, but snoring and "Flow Limitation" (which are signs of partial obstruction of the airway) can still cause the pressure to be raised, up to 20.

Since your prescribed pressure is 15, the S9 AutoSet or the Philips Respironics APAP with heated tube would likely provide better therapy, and much, much better data.

The difference in cost should not be as great as you have been led to believe. The cost increase to buy an S9 AutoSet versus an S9 Escape Auto is not large.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,853 2 hours ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 876 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 313 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.