Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advise a New Guy [on high pressure readings]
RE: Advise a New Guy [on high pressure readings]
(10-11-2017, 01:08 PM)zzzZorro Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 12:34 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: BiPAP (Respironics) and VPAP (Resmed) are the same thing, and are proprietary terms for a device with inhale and exhale pressure.  You need a bilevel with backup rate, and preferably something with intelligent pressure support...ASV.  When you finally talk to the doctor, let him know that simple bilevel isn't going to cut it.  Get a titration for ASV or he is wasting both of your time.

Scheduled for another sleep-over Friday with a Bi-Level ST [going to request AirCurve10 ST if not ResMed].  My Echo EjectionRate is 40-45 so I was told the ASV is ruled out and the BI-Level ST is the best we can do.  Apparently the brief test with ST on the first sleep-over showed it to manage the Centrals.

I got home from the second SleepStudy this morning. [Miserable experience]  The BIPAP and ST modes did not stop the Centrals.  I was told that the Centrals are heavy while trying to fall asleep, then go away after I fall asleep.  Was told SleepStudies are prohibited from testing ASV by the prohibition on LVEF<45%, so it is unknown IF that would have been a viable solution Oh-jeez     Maybe this week we will see what the Doctor thinks the best (available) route is going to be.

ST at higher pressures were comfortable but weird.  An interesting challenge to the 'ASV in CHF recommendations' makes one have to wonder what the real purpose of it was.  Smells like an INSURANCE escape route to me..
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2017, 02:32 PM)zzzZorro Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 12:34 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: BiPAP (Respironics) and VPAP (Resmed) are the same thing, and are proprietary terms for a device with inhale and exhale pressure.  You need a bilevel with backup rate, and preferably something with intelligent pressure support...ASV.  When you finally talk to the doctor, let him know that simple bilevel isn't going to cut it.  Get a titration for ASV or he is wasting both of your time.

Scheduled for another sleep-over Friday with a Bi-Level ST [going to request AirCurve10 ST if not ResMed].  My Echo EjectionRate is 40-45 so I was told the ASV is ruled out and the BI-Level ST is the best we can do.  Apparently the brief test with ST on the first sleep-over showed it to manage the Centrals.

I got home from the second SleepStudy this morning. [Miserable experience]  The BIPAP and ST modes did not stop the Centrals.  I was told that the Centrals are heavy while trying to fall asleep, then go away after I fall asleep.  Was told SleepStudies are prohibited from testing ASV by the prohibition on LVEF<45%, so it is unknown IF that would have been a viable solution Oh-jeez     Maybe this week we will see what the Doctor thinks the best (available) route is going to be.

ST at higher pressures were comfortable but weird.  An interesting challenge to the 'ASV in CHF recommendations' makes one have to wonder what the real purpose of it was.  Smells like an INSURANCE escape route to me..

Sincerely wishing you the best on the resolution for this.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are many issues with the sleep study that resulted in the LVEF recommendation. Hopefully they get that figured out and refine the real problem. The cohort that was studied, was considered compliant with only 3.3 hours per night of therapy, and really was not designed to evaluate CHF patients, individuals with CSR or low ejection fraction. That was just what fell out in the statistical analysis. If I was in your position I would put some serious research into the study conclusions and decide if the risks and benefits balanced out in favor of getting effective treatment. The real question in my mind is, would non-treatment have a better outcome, than effective treatment with ASV, and what is the increased risk, specifically for individuals with LVEF below 45%. I think Dave who responded above, is on the borderline for that risk group as well and has decided, he'd rather live his life with the therapy, then suffer without it.

I hope you can find some comfortable treatment using an alternative, and we will all do our best to help you make that happen.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SR.  Then here is one for DAVE;  Please 'splain yourself.  I see you are on ASV, but do you have a LVEF<45? 
This morning before departing the Study, the Tech was adamant that 'THEY could not test me with ASV (I requested it be included with the BIPAP/ST) and that Doctors would require all sorts of red-tape liability releases so they won't get involved.  And, insurance companies probably still will refuse to accept the prescription.  Went on to comment, she has seen cases where ASV wouldn't correct the situation anyway'.  I don't know if she was only giving lip service or not but seemed to be a pretty cut-and-dried topic there.
Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2017, 05:30 PM)zzzZorro Wrote: Thanks SR.  Then here is one for DAVE;  Please 'splain yourself.  I see you are on ASV, but do you have a LVEF<45? 
This morning before departing the Study, the Tech was adamant that 'THEY could not test me with ASV (I requested it be included with the BIPAP/ST) and that Doctors would require all sorts of red-tape liability releases so they won't get involved.  And, insurance companies probably still will refuse to accept the prescription.  Went on to comment, she has seen cases where ASV wouldn't correct the situation anyway'.  I don't know if she was only giving lip service or not but seemed to be a pretty cut-and-dried topic there.
Dont-know

Although I should know the answer to if my LVEF<45 was or not, I must admit I do not know that. I can, and will find out that definitely. I approached my echo test and results somewhat lazily and/or hastily, I assume. I just asked in regards to ASV and the echo test, is it a go or no-go in regards to ASV. The cardiac doc gave me the go directive. As I said, I will clarify and educate myself, and therefore you, with that answer, in more detail, later this week. I have to contact his office anyway on my heart attack tests.

Respectfully,
Dave

PS regardless of results, I'd choose ASV despite risk, I've seen results of ASV vs BiPAP/CPAP. Wouldn't trade it period.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2017, 11:53 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 05:30 PM)zzzZorro Wrote: Thanks SR.  Then here is one for DAVE;  Please 'splain yourself.  I see you are on ASV, but do you have a LVEF<45? 
Dont-know

Although I should know the answer to if my LVEF<45 was or not, I must admit I do not know that. I can, and will find out that definitely. I approached my echo test and results somewhat lazily and/or hastily, I assume. I just asked in regards to ASV and the echo test, is it a go or no-go in regards to ASV. The cardiac doc gave me the go directive. As I said, I will clarify and educate myself, and therefore you, with that answer, in more detail, later this week. I have to contact his office anyway on my heart attack tests.

Respectfully,
Dave

PS regardless of results, I'd choose ASV despite risk, I've seen results of ASV vs BiPAP/CPAP. Wouldn't trade it period.

Thanks Dave.  I am most curious just what your LVEF is.  I am not positive that the Sleep Doc subscribes to the LVEF<45% study/theory but the Sleep Clinic is basically 'His' (for practical purpose) from what i have deduced, so I would be surprised if he would waiver from their dismissal of my request to at least try ASV while I was there Friday night.  I do not know this for certain as so far 'He' has only been an elusive image of 'knuckles on the door jamb'.
I guess I mainly want to know if (1) The ASV was prescribed while you had a LVEF< 45%  (2) If Medicare will honor the prescription against the "study" recommendation?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try to dig my test info ASAP to satisfy both of us. Tomorrow maybe?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2017, 02:32 PM)zzzZorro Wrote:

I got home from the second SleepStudy this morning. [Miserable experience]  The BIPAP and ST modes did not stop the Centrals.  I was told that the Centrals are heavy while trying to fall asleep, then go away after I fall asleep.

And one for SLEEPRIDER;  Would using the ramp feature at the beginning of a treatment possibly ward-off  the Centrals during the transition to N-1?

(My purpose of openly pursuing here is that I AM QUITE SURE THIS INFORMATION CAN BE OF HELP TO OTHERS WITH PRIOR M/I HISTORY and now have lowered LVEF readings limiting their treatment options)
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2017, 12:47 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'll try to dig my test info ASAP to satisfy both of us. Tomorrow maybe?

STELLAR Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp has no therapeutic value for centrals. It is there to ease the transition to sleep providing a more consistent, low pressure until you are asleep. Transitional centrals would be treated by ASV. It's hard to know whether the treatment or centrals would be more disruptive, but I normally coach users not to use ramp.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low OA/H. Still high CA. How to lower them? jakeroviks 1 98 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 361 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 133 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 176 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 200 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 185 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,670 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.