Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advise on Pressure Change?
Advise on Pressure Change?
Hi Y'all...

Mizz Cracker decided to try a nasal pillow mask by F&P...It just arrived today.

Her pressures have been pretty steady the last few weeks, set at 10/14.5...and she's been pulling some pretty steady good low numbers using her FFM...but battling consistent air leaks....which is why she wants to try the pillows route.

Should I leave the machine set where it's at?...or is there a need to change pressure sets up or down, to get her comfortably started.

TIA!

FLc
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advise on Pressure Change?
Hi FLcracker,
How did things go with Mizz Cracker's new mask?
Did you wind up changing her pressures? The only thing is, there might be different mask settings for nasal pillows so you might need to change that, but I don't know about the pressures.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What Trish said. Would not monkey around with anything for a few days, except maybe the mask type setting, so she can allow time to get used to the new mask; that is enough change to distort any other readings except leak rate, if more present with new mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys...

I'll look into the setup menu on the machine, and see if pillows are covered in the presets... I hope so, I don't really want to change her every night pressure settings...She's doing as well as she ever has these last few weeks...Last night she finally broke into the ONES!!, with a 1.7 AHI...Considering about 90+ days ago, she was regularly getting 50's and 60's.

I'm so proud and happy for her...Noting we could never have done this without all the good help and advise that many on here provide on a daily basis...We are so blessed to have you and this forum available to us.

The 'eye incident' is on the way to full recovery, albeit a surprised and unwanted extra expense, at least we are aware of damage that can be done if leaks aren't better controlled. Her vision is coming fully back in the offended eye, and she only has one more doctor visit coming next week, then she should be good to go.

We won't run trials on the new nasal pillow mask, until the coming Fri night, and through the weekend....She does not like to 'experiment' on regular work days.

Best to all! FLc

Post Reply Post Reply
FLCracker. Which F&P pillows did she get??? There are x settings for pillows on your machine but the numbers are geared for Respironics masks. Look on the documentation with the mask she now has and see what its pressure resistance is.

Then use the web to find a respironics pillows mask with the same or very near same resistance and set the x setting according to that.

X1 is FFM and about all nasal masks but there are different x settings for pillows depending on size and resistance of the pillows.

If you list the pillows mask she has I and maybe some others here an help you make the comparison to get the right x setting.

Until you know Id probably set the machine to 0 in the resistance settings.

Using pillows or nasal mask youll probably find less leaks and likely lower pressures needed especially on the upper side.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2015, 02:19 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: FLCracker. Which F&P pillows did she get??? There are x settings for pillows on your machine but the numbers are geared for Respironics masks. Look on the documentation with the mask she now has and see what its pressure resistance is.

Then use the web to find a respironics pillows mask with the same or very near same resistance and set the x setting according to that.

X1 is FFM and about all nasal masks but there are different x settings for pillows depending on size and resistance of the pillows.

If you list the pillows mask she has I and maybe some others here an help you make the comparison to get the right x setting.

Using pillows or nasal mask youll probably find less leaks and likely lower pressures needed especially on the upper side.

Good Mornin' Sir!

The F&P Nasal Pillows mask is called the "Opus" model. I'm unsure where to find info on resistance...There is a print-out in the box that it came in, but I'm really pretty incapable of reading it without major magnification...I don't know how much smaller they could make the print on those pages without making it completely invisible! It also came with S/M/L seals.

The ad said it was capable of handling pressure up to 25...that's 5 more than her unit can deliver. That's about all the info I can provide right now....

I have already noted this morning that some form of proper lube around nostrils is generally good to use with these types.

It only seemed 'normal' to me that one would likely need to bring down the high pressure setting somewhat, as there's not as much space to fill, as in a FFM.

Thanks much for your input 'mah fren'.

FLc
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2015, 07:40 AM)FLcracker Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 02:19 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: FLCracker. Which F&P pillows did she get??? There are x settings for pillows on your machine but the numbers are geared for Respironics masks. Look on the documentation with the mask she now has and see what its pressure resistance is.

Good Mornin' Sir!

The F&P Nasal Pillows mask is called the "Opus" model. I'm unsure where to find info on resistance...There is a print-out in the box that it came in, but I'm really pretty incapable of reading it without major magnification...I don't know how much smaller they could make the print on those pages without making it completely invisible! It also came with S/M/L seals.

The ad said it was capable of handling pressure up to 25...that's 5 more than her unit can deliver. That's about all the info I can provide right now....

I have already noted this morning that some form of proper lube around nostrils is generally good to use with these types.

It only seemed 'normal' to me that one would likely need to bring down the high pressure setting somewhat, as there's not as much space to fill, as in a FFM.

Thanks much for your input 'mah fren'.

FLc

The pressure drop or resistance thru that mask is 1.2 cmh20 at flow rate of 50 liters per minute. 50 liter flow rate occurs at 23 cmh2o which is three higher than your machine is capable of.

Use some google fu and find respironics pillows mask with a similar resistance at the flow of 50 liters per min near the 20 cmh20 and use that x setting.

If you dont want to fool with that you can just set the machine on 0 resistance setting. Your only talking a 1.2 cm drop at your machines max output pressure. Your watching software anyway so youll see any pressure changes she needs as she goes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Follow Up...for anyone interested...

Last night was her first all night trial run with the pillows... She chose the medium size to start out with...After a shakedown cruise for an hour or so in the living room sans card in the machine...she tells me they are much more comfortable to use then either of her FFM's, lighter weight and they seem to stay in place real well.

I set the resistance to zero, and as suggested, dropped both pressures 1/2 click, then eventually put the low start pressure back to where it was (her request) at 10. The low pressure of 10 is where the unit says it wants her to be at, and she seems uncomfortable with anything less.

There was some leakage that I heard in the very early AM, but she was sound asleep and seemed to not notice... So I gently gave her a little shove, and after she got up off the floor and back into bed (jk!!), the leakage quit...I assume it was due to the mouth breathing factor that we're both guilty of.

Final result is: even with some leakage, she still turned in a 2.4 ... For her first night! ... and she says she is very happy and fully wishes to continue with the new pillows.

We are going to try a few different methods of keeping the mouth closed when fully asleep, until we improvise a more permanent method of a fastened to the headgear comfortable chin-strap....

Thanks so much again, to all the kind folks who have contributed, both directly and indirectly, to helping us get her on the road to wellness. The changes in her in the last several weeks, are pretty incredible!

FLc
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,711 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 180 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 366 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.