Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aerophagia?
RE: Aerophagia?
(05-31-2012, 04:08 PM)pinky22 Wrote: I was also told not to change anything or that would void my contract and the machine could be taken and insurance would not cover it.
As far as I know the insurance only interested in compliance that the machine used at least 4 hours each night and nothing else
so they can pay for the machine.

Quote:I am so new to this and the person who came and set it up for me was very rushed and bascially said here it is and good luck.

Its just not good enough to hand you the machine and walk away. Its your machine you paid for it through your insurance payment, take control of it and become your own health advocate. I don,t suggest to change anything without your doctor supervision but just like any appliance or machinery you've to know how to use and how to access its features.
You can request the clinical manual and here,s a link to the setup video instruction
http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions
http://respironicsremstars.respironics.com/

Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure what's causing you to swallow air, but I would bet that as you exhale, you are doing so via your mouth against the incoming high pressure of the machine, and then you end up swallowing the air. Occasionally, I found myself doing that when I first got my machine, especially during deeper sleep. Perhaps I was having an event and the Autoset machine was kicking up the pressure when it happened, but I found myself awakening with my mouth open and swallowing air. The only way I could fix that was to use a chin strap at night, so I couldn't mouth breath or swallow air at all. I made a point of only breathing through my nose during the day, too. In less than I week, I stopped the mouth breathing and got rid of the chin strap. Try a chin strap. Hopefully, it will work for you, as well, even if you can't get rid of the chin strap, as I did. (A lot of people must use a chin strap every night) Your DME should be able to provide you with one and your insurance should pay for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I was also told not to change anything or that would void my contract and the machine could be taken and insurance would not cover it.

This makes me so mad, I could scream.

If you ever feel up to it, call the insurance company and ask them if they care what you do with the machine, as long as you are using it. If they don't then to heck with the dealer.

Modem based CPAP machines are nonsense. It is all about "compliance" and not education or empowerment.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2012, 04:08 PM)pinky22 Wrote: Thanks everyone for the advice - I originally had posted I was using software with my machine, but I am not. At least I don't think I am.

I recommend SleepyHead, which is free. You can download it from SourceForge. I don't know where the URL is, but it's someplace on Apnea Board.

You need a card reader for the data card. Most laptops have a card reader built in, but if you have a desktop you may need to buy a USB card reader. They're available all over for $5 or so.

In the morning you just push the card in slightly to release it. Then you insert it into the card reader in your computer. And finally, you import the data into SleepyHead. Don't forget to put the card back into the CPAP machine before going to bed.

SleepyHead will give you all kinds of information that you need in order to tell if things are working for you. Learning what all the data means is a bit complicated, but you can handle it. For the moment, just start with getting SleepyHead installed and the data from the card into the computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Info for how to download SleepyHead and Rescan is found here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

The card records the data. You need the software on your computer to take the data from the card.

When installing, be sure to follow the directions closely, especially Resscan.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2012, 04:08 PM)pinky22 Wrote: I did call SMS today and requested a nasal mask. Maybe that will help instead of a full face mask.

What was the reason they prescribed a full face mask?

Like I said before, you can just wait for the aerophagia to subside on its own, and try those remedies.

If you are unable to tolerate the aerophagia you will have to do something to remedy it. (Please don't stop using the CPAP machine, you need it to keep yourself from living a miserable sleep-deprived life, and dying before your time due to stroke or cardiovascular disease.)

To remedy it you will need to do someting about the lousy healthcare being provided by your doctor and equipment provider. Contact your insurance company, tell them what's going on, and that you need and deserve competent healthcare. Also, you can learn how to use the software so you can educate yourself about your own healthcare.

People are here to help and support you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2012, 05:29 PM)BabyDoc Wrote: I am not sure what's causing you to swallow air, but I would bet that as you exhale, you are doing so via your mouth against the incoming high pressure of the machine, and then you end up swallowing the air. Occasionally, I found myself doing that when I first got my machine, especially during deeper sleep. Perhaps I was having an event and the Autoset machine was kicking up the pressure when it happened, but I found myself awakening with my mouth open and swallowing air. The only way I could fix that was to use a chin strap at night, so I couldn't mouth breath or swallow air at all. I made a point of only breathing through my nose during the day, too. In less than I week, I stopped the mouth breathing and got rid of the chin strap. Try a chin strap. Hopefully, it will work for you, as well, even if you can't get rid of the chin strap, as I did. (A lot of people must use a chin strap every night) Your DME should be able to provide you with one and your insurance should pay for it.

Were you wearing a full face mask at the time?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2012, 05:29 PM)BabyDoc Wrote: Try a chin strap. Hopefully, it will work for you, as well, even if you can't get rid of the chin strap, as I did. (A lot of people must use a chin strap every night)
I,m one of those people use chinstrap every night with my Activa LT nasal mask and wouldn't dream sleep without. Its part and parcel of the therapy and taught me to breathe through my nose day and night
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2012, 05:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: This makes me so mad, I could scream.
If you ever feel up to it, call the insurance company and ask them if they care what you do with the machine, as long as you are using it. If they don't then to heck with the dealer.
Modem based CPAP machines are nonsense. It is all about "compliance" and not education or empowerment.

Ha... you sound like me Paula. Too-funny

Now imagine that you've been getting thousands of emails since 2004 exactly like this where patients get treated like little children who can't think for themselves.... you'll understand why I go off the deep end sometimes regarding the actions of some of these money-grubbing DMEs.

Perturbed
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 594 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,646 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 523 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 407 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 850 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  EPR, Central Apnea, and Aerophagia rpierce 23 2,304 11-12-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.