Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aerophagia AirCurve 10 VAuto
Aerophagia AirCurve 10 VAuto
Well I would like to say Hello to all and I hope all is well to everyone. I am new to this forum however I have had sleep apnea for quite a while..I think since 2009 or 2010 and have been using Cpap every since. About 2 years ago something changed while using my Cpap machine and I had to go from Cpap to Bipap VAuto(hope that makes since) I felt as if I was fighting to exhale on Cpap even with the EPR settings was not helping at all. So the doc switched me from the old (2010 model)Respironic Remstar Cpap to the(2016 model) Aircurve 10 Vauto. At first I loved it however I started to experience the dreaded Aerophagia. I have always been a mouth breather and used a full face mask with no problem. I have sinusitis and a small nasal passage so nasal masks never worked for me at all. I have used a soft collar, mouth taping and chin strap at the same time and it dosent help with the nasal mask for me. The aerophagia seems to be getting worse and not better for me. Not sure if I am on the right settings or not but I kinda adjust my settings while doing research and taking pointers from these Forums. I will upload my Sleephead snapshots so you guys maybe can point me the right direction and help me get some sound sleep because last night was horrible and I have had enough.I am sleepy during the day and I dread going to bed because it is a hit or miss if I am going to be up all night. I never go to sleep without my mask and I find myself wanting to nap sometime but I hate putting on the mask because I know I will not get a nap in. Its weird but I feel when my AHI is between 2 and 3 I have had good sleep, if it is below 1 its  because I am more than likely lying there awake SMH. Also I might add, it feels like being on Vauto has changed my breathing. I feel soreness in my chest if I exhale to deep during normal breathing, more in my diaphragm then anything. Which again I feel its keeping me from getting efficient sleep. I appreciate any advice you can give me guys.

Thanks and God Bless,
SleepyGoodSteve
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aerophagia AirCurve 10 VAuto
Using the Vauto at 8.0 to 13.2 with PS at 3.0 your results are excellent, but you complain of residual aerophagia. Looking at your charts, you are perfectly titrated at those pressures and AHI is low. If you can tolerate the risk of higher AHI, then gradually reducing your EPAP and max IPAP pressures together, keeping PS 3 may help the aerophagia, at the risk of increasing AHI. The threshold for aerophagia is usually related to a weakness in the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) which excludes air from the stomach. This problem is something you can research and discuss with your doctor. Meanwhile, you might try 7.4 to `12.6 at PS 3 as a starter to see if any relief is possible. A subsequent step would be 7.0 to 12.2 at PS 3 which is a full cm-H2O pressure reduction. The idea is to gradually move pressure downward and observe the results and subjectively whether it improves aerophagia.

Pursue therapy for the LES and be sure that if you have an issue with GERD that it is properly treated. Many sufferers of aerophgia benefit from a ramp pillow or articulating bed to elevate the upper body.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much Sleeprider! I will definitely try this. I try to sleep with two pillows kinda propped up but I ultimately end up throwing one on the floor because I can’t  seem to get comfortable but’s it does seem to work. If I lay on my back I really start swallowing air which sucks because that is the most comfortable to me. Not sure if me losing weight has anything to do with this Aerophagia or not?
Post Reply Post Reply
Do an internet search for the Wedge or Ramp body pillows. They are not unreasonably expensive, and can really help sort out the aerophagia for some people. Some fit under the mattress, while others might be used between the body and mattress. Using individual head pillows tends to cause excessive neck flexion which can cause obstructive apnea to be worse. Finding an angle that works will be much more comfortable and effective.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 606 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,511 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 465 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.