Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Dreamwear airflow width
Question 
Dreamwear airflow width
Hi folks.  I'm new to CPAP and am going through too many mask changes trying to get the right one.  No need to go over all the changes I've been through, suffice it to say I'm getting tired of so many changes and encountering problems.  I tried the Dreamwear full face mask, which I liked.  But there was too much leakage.  

I'm trying to find out dimensions of the nostril openings on the nasal cushion vs the full face mask for Dreamwear.  I was using a Dreamwear MW face mask, which has a really wide opening for airflow at the nose.  But again too much leakage.  Does anyone know if the airflow opening on the Dreamwear nasal cusion MW is as wide as the full face mask MW?  I've tried the Res Med nasal cushion but kept having problems with the cushion blocking my nostrils, so I woke up gasping for air.  I'm just trying to find a nasal cushion that has a wide opening for air flow.  Thank you very much. Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamwear airflow width
Welcome to the forum. Finding the right msk is one of the most challenging aspects of CPAP therapy. I cannot advise you on nasal masks or pillows since I have always used a full face mask, the Airfit F20 which you list in your profile. I suggest you read the mask primer at http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer   Meanwhile others with experience with nasal masks may be able to answer your questions.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Try a pillow mask. Is you can use a nasal mask, it is likely that you can use a pillow mask. I am a fan of the ResMed P10 pillow mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Hi Bonjour  Smile

First, thank you for your kind reply and the time you took to offer a suggestion.  I need all the help I can get!  I tried a nasal pillow mask both times during my sleep studies.  Boy was my nose sore the next morning.  They only use nasal pillows a the center I was sent to.  Didn't take long for me to realize they weren't for me.  

I'm hoping I can find a nasal cushion mask that really has a wide opening.  The openings on the Res Med unit I tried are just too small and kept blocking my nostrils.  I'll keep searching.  I'm sure there's a nasal cushion mask that will work for me.  Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make a mask fitting appointment with your DME or try a walk-in.

Modern nasal masks almost fit over the nose like a glove, look/ask for a wide mask.

Old school nasal masks look more like full facial masks but sit just above the upper lip and tend to have a wider base. I used one of these for many years. I

the ResMed Mirage Activa. It is good for active sleepers and has a bellows with about a half inch of play
Post Reply Post Reply
When I used the DreamWear I enlarged the opening in the DreamWear nasal cushion by cutting the silicone away. If you don't mind ruining some nasal cushions, you could try to enlarge the openings on your own.

For what it's worse, I have been using the ResMed N30 and N30i and have not tried enlarging the openings on those cushions, but they are soft and probably could be cut easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, that's a good suggestion.  I'll contact my home medical supplier and ask for an appointment.  I'm sure they've got something that will work.  God bless and thanks for helping.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 293 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Resmed Airsense 10 reversed airflow Gap6d 6 448 02-19-2024, 01:32 PM
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 332 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Dreamwear/F30i Rebdr 1 512 11-03-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] Phillips Dreamwear mask is whistling melody 2 583 09-26-2023, 03:43 PM
  Modifying DREAMWEAR silicone nasal pillow mask xaid 2 716 07-01-2023, 11:33 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.