Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

meditation
RE: meditation
I think a healthy discussion brooks little or no intervention unless the tenor changes to one of personal attacks or threats of physical violence.  As a former moderator on a hobby forum, the only time I ever intervened was when one of the members complained rightly, or when a forum rule was breeched.  A discussion will have little depth or useful conclusion unless the topic is widely and comprehensively expanded upon by all who choose to participate.  Shouting down those with whom we disagree is a popular undertaking at universities these days, but the grownups need not follow suit.  My opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use meditation as a relaxation technique. For as long as I have been doing it, it has in no way changed my sleep apnea.

There are studies that show, via medical devices, that well-trained (ie enlightened) Buddhists monks can meditate to the point their breathing, brain waves, and heart rate slow tremendously. They can do this in extreme cold temperatures and yet not freeze while in that meditative state. They regulate their body heat. And can only do this after YEARS of training and practice.

As for the OPs claim: "I never knew how it happened but after 2-3 months of 20min meditation every day in the morning, I started sleeping better and woke up fresh." Morning mediation prepares for the day, not the night. If one meditated before bed, for 2-3 years, for an hour or more, one would feel much better while going to sleep. But it will not stop the throat from closing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in agreement with our rules and actions here. IMO there's benefits to discussions like this. The OP has a right or ability to open a thread of discussion and others have the same right or ability to voice their opinion. All that is OK unless rules get violated. Not the case here IMO, just a healthy, normal discussion. How boring would this be if everyone thought identical and said the same things?

As for meditation, or other various forms of optional apnea treatment, it's perfectly OK to consider any method you wish to gain relief from apnea. Personally though it may be a vehicle for stress relief more than other aspects. Just my opinion. Not attempting to diminish meditation or other alternate therapy modes, I tend to think it may be more a hobby category rather than actual treatment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you fall asleep during mindfulness meditation, you're meditating wrong. Being asleep is the opposite of being mindful.

Though I've found that trying to ignore small mask leaks is an excellent way to focus on my breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Prior to CPAP; I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder. I suffered from insomnia as well; I took up Meditation to relieve my anxiety & insomnia. It worked for that; several months later I had a Sleep Study. Yep you guessed it, still had OSA!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.