Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aerophagia when sleeping on side only
Aerophagia when sleeping on side only
Hi,

I've been on CPAP for about a month.  Unfortunately I get air in my stomach if I sleep on my side.  Luckily I can avoid this problem by sleeping on my back.  But I always wake after about four or five hours with a strong craving to sleep on my side.  Interestingly, my first sleep study said that most of my apneas happened when I was sleeping on my side. (This is the opposite of most folks as I understand it)

Questions: Does anyone else have this same side sleeping aerophagia problem? And if so, did a chinstrap work?  I tried Dr. Dakota's large collar one night but it didn't work.  Even if my mouth is closed something relaxes in my throat as I fall asleep and air shoots right into my gut.  I'm thinking MAYBE a tight chinstrap might do the job, but I'm skeptical.  

Thanks,
MrZennie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aerophagia when sleeping on side only
Don't know what the fix is but I think the chin strap isn't going to do anything. In fact it'll mess up your jaw and bite if you tighten it too much.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Inspire2 maybe instead of cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that's a concern of mine which is why I haven't tried it yet.  I'm also doing Invisalign treatment so don't want to mess with my bite.

I forgot to ask in my initial post: Has anyone lessened their aerophagia with elevating the head of the bed?  I've heard that can help with apnea issues sometimes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried increasing your EPR to 3cm to see if that helps? By the way I noticed your profile shows your not using any software. You can download sleepyhead on the link below for free.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I started out at EPR 3 and still got the aerophagia, but then heard EPR can lead to CAs, so I lowered it to EPR 2 and it's comfortable enough. AHIs are usually under 2. I might try EPR 1 soon.

And part of me doesn't want the Sleepyhead data. What if I post it and people detect something that is negative, but it's something beyond my control. I don't want to stress on this stuff any more than is necessary. That first month of getting diagnosed, then waiting for my machine, AND the first two weeks of using the machine were stressful enough! And I'm feeling pretty good about my treatment right now. Down the road I might look into the sleepyhead stuff...
Post Reply Post Reply
Chances are, when you sleep on your side, you are also bringing your chin down to your chest. Pillow arrangement can help that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well last night after sleeping for about 5 hours on my back I woke up and had the strong urge to sleep on my side like always. Instead I tried sleeping on my stomach, and it worked, no aerophagia!  I'm stoked.  I guess it only happens when I'm side sleeping,  strange.  (Side sleeping is also when they told me most of my apnea events happen)  

When sleeping on my stomach, I lay my shoulder and half my body on my pillow to take some of the strain off my neck.  My face is almost at an angel pointed down instead of level with with the mattress. My P10 nasal pillows mask gets pushed into my nose a bit, but I was still able to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I read that sleeping in your left side worsens aero, while sleeping on your right side helps it.
I try to sleep on my right, but I also turned on my EPR to 1 (2 induced too many centrals), and bought a better (longer) elevated wedge.
This combo seems to have helped by about 50%.
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting Allessio, I hadn't heard about the left/right side differences.  I've tried both sides though and I swallow air either way. 

Which brand of wedge did you buy?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 606 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.