Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aerophagia
RE: Aerophagia
(03-30-2014, 12:34 PM)c0reDump Wrote: robysue: my recommendation to JimZZZ to lower his max pressure to a '6', was based on his doctor wanting him at a '4' for 90 days (sorry I didn't make that clear). I think he jumped the gun and increased pressure to quickly without adapting first, hence started experiencing the aerophagia too.
c0reDump, I understood and respected your recommendation and found robysue's advice helpful as well. I have added a chinstrap and am slowly lowering the max pressure to what is actually needed. As you suspected, I struggle to resist taking extreme measures.

I have discovered that air goes down my throat only when I roll onto my back; thus the chin strap to keep my mouth from falling open. I am a little less inflated this morning and will continue to work on the pressure.

Thanks for the help from both of you.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aerophagia
[quote='c0reDump' pid='64023' dateline='1396200885']

I think aerophagia is also cumulative: it can take a few days for it to clear up on its own, and if you don't "cure" it by halting CPAP use, you might never be free of it.

Of course you need to weigh the risks of not using CPAP temporarily -- versus the benefit of hitting reset and curing the aerophagia and starting over (I'm not a doctor and suggest asking one if you have aerophagia).

I agree with c0reDump from personal experience.
The therapist said it wasn't possible to get air into the stomach from CPAP ,but now knows otherwise.Yes it can be accumulative .If one's body is unable to expel it before the following nights use of CPAP . The air can build nightly not to mention the other symptoms it can cause ( reflux for one) and pain. At some tipping point it may morph into another entity and un planned weight loss ensues.When I did get to see the Doc he said most people would've given up . It's not something to ignore for sure. Been there , done that.Best to see the Doc.And yes took a few months to undo w/o therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 603 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,647 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 523 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 408 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 850 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  EPR, Central Apnea, and Aerophagia rpierce 23 2,308 11-12-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.