Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Affordable Battery Pack for CPAP/BIPAP
Affordable Battery Pack for CPAP/BIPAP
I am looking for an affordable battery backup for my bipap machine. I live on an island and we actually have 1 or 2 blackouts a year. (Luckily most are during the day and for 2 to 4 hrs however two years ago it happened at night and last most of the next day. That was before I was diagnosed.)

I am wondering if anyone knows of a less costly solution for a back
Up battery than paying $300. for an official CPAP backup battery.

I wouldn't mind turning off my humidifier completely. I just want to get through the night. I can't imagine sleeping without it. (We get hurricane warnings and have a few hours to prepare so I could probably make sure the battery is charged.)

Thanks
Kim
Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Affordable Battery Pack for CPAP/BIPAP
Hi there, there are quite a few threads on this, batteries vs generators, etc. Do a quick search on teh forum you'll find more than you ever wanted to know Smile
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Galactus said there a re many threads on the subject. If size and weight is not an issue a deep cycle marine battery and what ever adapter or cord your machine requires. I hope their little batteries are light cause man they are expensive!
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are indeed many threads on the topic; but to nail it down to the two options that I personally use?
1. Inexpensive used back up power supply for computer, without the CPAP humidifier, should give you pretty much a night of use and will act as a surge protector as well. That's what I use at present.
2. Find out what connector your CPAP uses, put together a battery pack if it will run on 6, 12, 24 volts DC along with a cheap trickle charger (Harbour Freight) and solder it up if you are handy.

Read the threads and ensure that you are sufficiently handy and knowledgeable that you don't wind up burning up your blower. It is a MUST that you remove or turn off the humidifier as it consumes a great deal of power.

Good luck.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
I will be ordering the needed cords for my hubby's and my machines, probably from the CPAP dot com (I think it is Supplier #1?). Unfortunately, my ResMed S9 AutoSet 12 volt DC cord (with 12 Volt DC receptacle-it is bundled and does not appear to be sold separately) costs around $84 while the DC cord for my hubby's PR System One costs around $25, and we already have the 12 Volt DC receptacle so we don't need to purchase one for my hubby's CPAP.

We plan on getting a second deep cycle marine battery, already have one charged for my hubby whose sleep apnea is worse than mine.

We will be keeping them charged and ready to go.

I didn't want to worry about sine waves and all the electrical stuff when running straight from a generator - if power is off long enough that we need to recharge the batteries we will use the generator from our 1976 class C motor home to charge the batteries, during the day, and keep on keeping on.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think his is just a cord, and your converts to 24 volts. I bought the generic one made to use with someone else's battery. The problem was it just had the small dc plug for the input and the resmed output plug. I was going to make a adapter to the big battery but no where did it show the polarity + -. So I messaged the company and asked and they replied" it's only made for the s9" to which I said to myself I'm not asking about the output plug you fools. So I had to test a figure it out. The Resmed adapter comes with several inputs including battery clips which would make it simple.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 78 11 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,816 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,178 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.