Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Affordable recording oximeter
Affordable recording oximeter
Can anyone can recommend a recording oximeter? I've lost a lot of weight and I'm curious what, if any, impact it has had on my sleep apnea, but I am sure it hasn't been cured and have no interest in getting another sleep study done.

Seems like the CMS-50D is the most commonly recommended around these parts, but I see some for cheaper. Are the finger-only models pretty bad compared to the wrist/finger ones?

SleepyHead/other sleep software compatibility is not a concern for me.

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Affordable recording oximeter
The finger-only ones don't seem to stay on all night, if you are wanting to record all night. The wrist mount with the finger probe seems more stable. Accuracy is the same +/- one either way. If all you want is a momentary snapshot, go cheap, but if you want an all-night recording step up a level.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, eviltim,

I have the CMS-50D Plus - a finger model that I have used often. I keep it in place all night long with two strips of tape taped to each side (of the pulse oximeter) that extend onto the sides of my finger. Haven't lost the connection or the pulse oximeter during the night. I'd say go with the less expensive unless you thrash around a lot at night.

And GOOD FOR YOU for losing weight! Do you think being on CPAP helped?

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2014, 10:21 PM)eviltim Wrote: Can anyone can recommend a recording oximeter? I've lost a lot of weight and I'm curious what, if any, impact it has had on my sleep apnea, but I am sure it hasn't been cured and have no interest in getting another sleep study done.

Seems like the CMS-50D is the most commonly recommended around these parts, but I see some for cheaper. Are the finger-only models pretty bad compared to the wrist/finger ones?

the cms50d+ (the plus is important) is about the cheapest one you can get, 50$ on amazon, 30$ from alibaba in china

the 50d model does not record, it's only for instant readings, the 50d+ will record one session and lasts about 3 nights on 2 aaa batteries.

for 90$ish you can get a cms50i from alibaba that has a clock, and records multiple sessions, wrist mounted.

I've got both. the i doesn't need to be taped on, generally.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2014, 11:39 PM)MAPnea Wrote: And GOOD FOR YOU for losing weight! Do you think being on CPAP helped?

Thank you and absolutely. I could not for the life of me get below 190lbs before I got on CPAP. After getting on CPAP I lost 40 lbs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, again eviltim,

I also lost weight after starting CPAP. My theory is: we don't have to try to get energy via "food" because we now have enough energy to get through the day because we can BREATHE while we're sleeping. What a concept, huh? Hope you get the mask liners to help out with the drool. Also hope you keep losing weight if you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are only going to be using it a short time or only occasionally to check up on things, then the finger ones will do just fine. The 50D+, like the others have said, is the cheapest but is also not all that great for every night use. And finger-only ones can get to be uncomfortable.

If you think you will use one a lot, then a wrist model with finger "probe" is the best way to go. Not only will it last longer, but it is more comfortable.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Potential dumb question alert:

I am not yet exActly sure what these little meters do that are being talked about in this thread. That said, the OP says he's lost weight and needs one to see if his sleep apnea has been cured.

Would he not be able to tell from looking at the sleep data on his machine to see whether that is so?
Post Reply Post Reply
The OP doesn't say he believes it is cured. He says he wants to know the impact the weight loss has had.

The oximeter will provide additional information that the machine cannot. AHI is but one piece of our puzzle.

An oximeter is a gadget you wear on your finger that tells you what the oxygen amount is in your blood. It is called the "blood oxygen saturation rate" or sat rate. This is important information and more than likely, your doctor has tested yours a few times. When we hold our breath, oxygen does not come in and CO2 does not go out. Blood oxygen levels drop. For people with sleep apnea, this can be a problem. Some of us, it drops a lot even with just a simple apnea event. For others, it seems to be more accumulative. By having one at home, and by knowing our saturation rate during the day, we can compare it to how low it gets at night. And we can match it to our apnea events data.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone who has responded. And thank you Paula, yes this is only going to be for very occasional use, so the finger model might be workable.

Shelagh, if the machine is properly configured, it should prevent apneas from happening! So there's no way to gauge the severity of sleep apnea from PAP machine data. If I follow through on this, I'd sleep one night without the PAP and look for oxygen desaturation events.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,488 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,058 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 140 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 137 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  Airsense 10 not recording data Guajiro 3 233 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 184 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 251 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.