Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Affordable recording oximeter
RE: Affordable recording oximeter
Thanks Paula.

I knew what it was, vaguely but had not had time to look into it further but yes, I am pretty sure I have one on my finger during the sleep tests but never any other time.

Someone here had mentioned my getting one in the past, that it was useful to have and i think i will.

I just saw this line "but I am sure it hasn't been cured and have no interest in getting another sleep study done." and interpreted it as meaning he wanted to test himself....

Thanks both for the info
Post Reply Post Reply
Umm - I suppose one could set their machine to it's very lowest settings, and then see how bad things get? Still would not be completely accurate as you are still getting *some* benefit. But by doing so with mine, and getting a repeatable AHI in the +70s - it's rather plain to see that I need my machine Smile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow Peter, that's pretty impressive! I don't think I could get to sleep with mine on the lowest settings, I've actually tried setting it lower than 7 or so and it just doesn't feel like I'm getting enough air.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was 'toying' with camping without my dream machine - so I did this as a test - it taught me alright.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the first times I was using the oximeter, I woke and one of the dogs was being extra cute. I took off my mask but not the oximeter. I started petting him and dangit, fell back asleep! I only slept about half an hour or less I think but that data was enough to tell me that I love my CPAP. I love my CPAP. I love my CPAP!

Oximeter data prior to removing the mask was fine. After taking off the mask? Totally different story. I can't remember the exact numbers but it was pretty awesome in a frightening kind of way.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, and some links for you:
Using the SpO2 software - http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...2_software
Importing 50D+ into SH - http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
(I've never been successful with that)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

I have been using a CMS50d for some time. The recorded results are then downloaded to my PC.
It's good! Synchronising with my CPAP results from SH is tedious, but possible. The user and software instructions are poor bur can be decoded with patience. My son purchased mine from China. Delivery was fast, 2 or 3 days. Price was better than any offered here. Well worth the investment.
Hope these short comments are useful.
Sleep-wellSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The oximeter is useful, but some people with severe apnea don't show a drop in O2 levels. They wake up enough to start breathing again, but the poor sleep and stress are still harmful.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Knowing your O2 levels is basically another step. Some have an issue, and some do not. If you do not, that only means your body's survival instincts are working really well - not that you are getting good sleep.

Using myself as an example, during a severe uncontrolled event, my O2 will (sadly) often drop to the low 60s before I wake myself enough - which is why they (all my Drs) think the heart damage happened due to OSA. Even on a rare (less than 5) good AHI night, I will still have 2-3 minutes that my O2 drops below the magic 88% mark.

If one were to sleep without their machine, and not have any major O2 drops - that *is* a good thing, but it only means you have one less issue, not that your OSA is any less severe.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2014, 12:47 AM)archangle Wrote: The oximeter is useful, but some people with severe apnea don't show a drop in O2 levels. They wake up enough to start breathing again, but the poor sleep and stress are still harmful.

That's a good point. I will dig up my sleep studies and look at my O2 graphs, but I think mine dropped frequently although luckily not very much.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,222 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 88 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 90 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  Airsense 10 not recording data Guajiro 3 160 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 203 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 674 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.