Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

After 3 Weeks
RE: After 3 Weeks
(02-28-2016, 09:17 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Yes, you need to tame the hypopneas...

(02-29-2016, 07:03 PM)OpalRose Wrote: ...you will need a higher pressure to be treated effectively.
OpalRose, I don't understand a few of your comments in this thread, from my perspective he/she is being treated effectively, 2.82 are good measurements. Sure, they should see if they can get even better measurements, but if I was a newbie and reading your comments I'd be feeling disappointed and getting the impression my treatment was not effective. Maybe I'm missing something Smile.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-29-2016, 11:17 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote:

(02-29-2016, 07:03 PM)OpalRose Wrote: ...you will need a higher pressure to be treated effectively.
OpalRose, I don't understand a few of your comments in this thread, from my perspective he/she is being treated effectively, 2.82 are good measurements. Sure, they should see if they can get even better measurements, but if I was a newbie and reading your comments I'd be feeling disappointed and getting the impression my treatment was not effective. Maybe I'm missing something Smile.

Alot drpends on how quickly ones O2 levels drop. Mine drop fast into the 60s.
Therefore a 2.82 which can actuslly translate into quite a few events overnite isnt a level I can tolerate to continue.
I have to stay at 1.5. max preferably under 1 to have good o2 levels.
So this postrrs numbers would make a xombie out of me. Though thid person may feel good at thosr numbers.
Thosr pressurs are very low however snd a bump up to say 8 min likely eould put the op under 1 ahi.
Post Reply Post Reply
607am. Been awake since 430. I will upload a screenshot tonight. Slept so so. I had my hum. on 1 waking up with a dry mouth. I reached and bumped it to 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2016, 01:46 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: A lot depends on how quickly ones O2 levels drop. Mine drop fast into the 60s. Therefore a 2.82 which can actually translate into quite a few events overnight isn't a level I can tolerate to continue. I have to stay at 1.5. max preferably under 1 to have good o2 levels.

The 2.28 hypopneas likely result in slight and short desaturation events without significant O2 drops. Wouldn't such a small number of events need to be severe and prolonged obstructive events to cause any significant O2 desats?

Anyhow, we are in complete agreement that it's good to do even better if possible, I just get concerned about anyone thinking their treatment is not effective when their numbers are good (of course how someone feels is important too). I think mindset can impact a persons treatment, I personally do not want to be convinced that I need to be under 1 to feel good - but I do like to be under 1 Grin.

OP, by all means experiment with your pressure settings and anything else that helps, but you may also find that you continue to improve simply as a function of time. I was still struggling with just being able to fall asleep after 3 weeks!

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-29-2016, 11:17 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote:

Dreams of Green,
Just to clarify... The O.P. asked for an opinion. He acknowledged that his Hypopneas were high and asked what should he do to lower them.

And yes, an AHI is considered "treated" if <5.

Here is what you are missing: Hypopneas are "partial" airway obstructions, which results in arousals. (You may or may not realize this is happening.).
When the "partial" airway obstruction occurs, your oxygen levels may start to fall.
If you experience enough of those during the night, along with the oxygen desaturation, that can't be good for you.

Now, please don't think I'm saying one can get rid of all apneas. I know that's not possible. And I'm not one of those to suggest everyone can or should get their numbers below 1 either.

Go back and read Ghost1958 post. I couldn't have said it better...it's exactly how I felt when I experienced a lot of Hypopneas. (Like a Zombie). I wore an oximeter overnight, and quickly noticed how my oxygen levels dropped. I was able to match the oxygen desalts with the hypopnea events. I had AHI's of over 3 and felt horrible.

Everyone is different, and the purpose of this forum is to help one another, not to make a person feel disappointed as you stated.

Hope that explains why I suggested to O.P. to raise his start pressure a bit. Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2016, 05:09 AM)ST1300 Wrote: 607am. Been awake since 430. I will upload a screenshot tonight. Slept so so. I had my hum. on 1 waking up with a dry mouth. I reached and bumped it to 2.

St1300,
Don't get discouraged. It takes time to get used to therapy, and some adapt faster than others. There are many things that can affect our sleep: Play with the humidify and see what works best. Also, are you using the Flex setting? (Exhale pressure relief). You didn't mention this, but it can be helpful.

Will wait for your screenshot. Smile

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal, thanks for your response.

In my sleep study I was experiencing approx 37 hypopneas per hour, and I had probably lived that way for at least 10 years, probably many more. Like a lot of apnea sufferers, I have a lot of zombie experience Big Grin, so I can relate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2016, 10:02 AM)Dreams of Green Wrote: In my sleep study I was experiencing approx 37 hypopneas per hour, and I had probably lived that way for 10 years or more. Like a lot of apnea sufferers, I have a lot of zombie experience Big Grin.

My sleep study was similar, about 33 per hour. I know now that I lived with this for at least 10 to 15 years. It seems incredible to me that I didn't even know what sleep apnea was and the harm it did to me.

Pre diabetic, high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia. Oh-jeez

I retired early, because I couldn't function. I wish I had known, or that my GP would have noticed with all my complaints.

That's why I stay here on this forum...there are a lot of folk out there that need some guidance. And, I still learn something new everyday too. Smile

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Opal! I don't mean to take this thread off topic, but I also wonder how long I have had it. I can remember waking up 10 years ago with my heart feeling like it was leaping out of my chest, and it would always happen when I was on my back. But exhaustion went back many years further than that. I always wrote it off to stress.

It's more of an intellectual curiosity than something I sit around regretting, I feel blessed that I caught it when I did. I was actually excited to be diagnosed, which is something that is pretty funny to say about a serious physical condition, but since it is entirely treatable and it explained years of exhaustion, that's how I felt.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2016, 09:31 AM)Dreams of Green Wrote:
(03-01-2016, 01:46 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: A lot depends on how quickly ones O2 levels drop. Mine drop fast into the 60s. Therefore a 2.82 which can actually translate into quite a few events overnight isn't a level I can tolerate to continue. I have to stay at 1.5. max preferably under 1 to have good o2 levels.

The 2.28 hypopneas likely result in slight and short desaturation events without significant O2 drops. Wouldn't such a small number of events need to be severe and prolonged obstructive events to cause any significant O2 desats?

Anyhow, we are in complete agreement that it's good to do even better if possible, I just get concerned about anyone thinking their treatment is not effective when their numbers are good (of course how someone feels is important too). I think mindset can impact a persons treatment, I personally do not want to be convinced that I need to be under 1 to feel good - but I do like to be under 1 Grin.

OP, by all means experiment with your pressure settings and anything else that helps, but you may also find that you continue to improve simply as a function of time. I was still struggling with just being able to fall asleep after 3 weeks!

Its an individual thing. My sats drop rapidly into the 60s after just 2 or three hypops if they occur close together.
So I cant tolerate that happening much at all during the night. Meaning I have to keep my numbers way low.
Now that is me. Probably a few others on here, but by no means does that imply most desat as fast as I do.
Actually the hospital sleep lab had never seen anyone desat as fast as I do to that level.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 131 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,488 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 909 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  3 Weeks in the World of APAP MaskedOne 2 311 01-16-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: MaskedOne

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.