Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

After 3 months of using CPAP still tired everyday (with data)
After 3 months of using CPAP still tired everyday (with data)
Hi all,

I am in my twenties and started using a cpap machine after noticing that I woke up tired everyday for years. 
I felt a small difference in the beginning, but not what I hoped for. Yesterday I bought a soft collar after reading on this forum, this did not seem to help much.
Could someone please look at my data from yesterday and give some advice? 
The first half an hour was just me testing the setup and after is actual sleep.

Thanks Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: After 3 months of using CPAP still tired everyday (with data)
Today I woke up tired and with slight headache again. I have changed my pressure settings to 8.5 min.
I also found myself without a mask for 2h in middle of the night and waking up sleeping on my back a few times, which I don't know is good or bad. I have no clue how to improve my results and would like some advice Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You seem to be having some issues with your mask. Although your overall leak rate is acceptable, if you look at the leak rate chart, the spikes you see suggest mask movement. Check on your mask fit, not too tight or too loose. Also, it may be helpful to read the Mask Primer.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

One question. Are you a mouth breather? If no, it would be more comfortable to switch to a nasal or a nasal pillow mask.

I don't see too much difference in the two charts you posted. Although, we shouldn't base your results on one or two nights, but I'm inclined to keep the minimum pressure around 8cm with a maximum of 11cm. Reset EPR to 2 instead of 3, as this may help with the clear airways.

Other thoughts:
You mention you wake up with headaches. How are your Blood Pressure levels? Even though you are younger, you want to make sure that your BP isn't high.

Also, it might be a good idea to look into purchasing an overnight recording oximeter to be sure your oxygen levels are normal.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, thanks for your reply!

I changed my settings to what you suggested, 8-11 pressure and EPR 2.
I have also changed to a nasal pillows mask, that I used before.

The big problem I am having is that I remove my mask in my sleep, this generally happens after 1h.

It seems that the current settings are quite good, yesterday I slept without a collar and in the hours I had my cpap mask on the events were very limited.
But because I did not wear my mask for half of my sleep I woke up poorly still.
Does anyone know how to fix myself removing my mask in my sleep?

As far as BP and oxygen levels go, last year BP was fine and haven't checked oxygen levels. And I will look into testing both, thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2022, 05:24 AM)Petex Wrote: The big problem I am having is that I remove my mask in my sleep, this generally happens after 1h.

Just looking at your chart, I can't see a reason for removing your mask in your sleep, although I've never had this problem, many others do. Hopefully, others will chime in with some advice in that area.

Your numbers are good and I don't see a reason to change anything, except the EPR setting could be raised to 3. If you decide to do that, it's always a good idea to also raise the minimum pressure. Maybe to 8.6cm.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your comment @OpalRose.
Today's sleep was poor, apparently removing my mask after 20 minutes and again removing it in my second try. I am going to try putting some tape or other tying stuff so that this might not happen again. In terms of how I feel, I don't feel terrible, but certainly still far from optimal/great.

If anyone has other suggestions for fixing mask removal in sleep, please let me know.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yesterday I slept with my mask on the whole night, I used a strap/headband to make it much harder to remove my mask, this seemed to have helped.
The OSCAR results look good to me, not perfect, but fine.

I felt a bit bloated and still a bit tired with some brainfog when waking up. But to lesser extent for sure. 

I will change my settings to EPR 3, 8,6min 11max as suggested. If anyone else has comments to improve my sleep quality, highly appreciated. Thanks so far Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 171 7 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 174 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 130 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.