Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

After Four Failed Machines it is Clear - RESMED SUCKS
RE: After Four Failed Machines it is Clear - RESMED SUCKS
I have no complaints regarding the effectiveness of the Dreamstation therapy. This is one of my better nights, but pretty typical of most.

[Image: 9iMuJxb.jpg]

[Image: QZa2959.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
This may be a case of "they don't make 'em like they used to", but my Respironics System One had over 9 years and 27,000 hours on it -- with not a single problem. Aside from the carcinogenic foam, of course. I find the reliability of that machine really impressive. Poor materials selection in Engineering not withstanding.

Regarding the algorithms -- I'm sure it varies by individual. And of course I'm comparing a 9yr old Respironics to a brand new Airsense11, but with no other changes (same pressures, same mask) my AHI has dropped from about 1.9 on the System1 (which is great) to ~0.6 on the Airsense11. Looking at the Oscar data for both, it seems like the more aggressive pressure increases Resmed does on flow limits has eliminated some of the apneas.

Does either company publish any kind of MTBF data for their machines? Is reliability data part of FDA approvals?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds to me like one or more of the pressure sensors in the machines may be getting clogged. Out of interest, how often do you change the filters, and what do the old filters typically look like when you do?

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
Does seem like a lot of equipment failure, although they do (or used to ?) tell us to change them at about the 5 year mark.
Were these machines plugged into a UPS to guard against dirty line power and spikes ?

Sucks that you dumped Resmed in favour of Philips but then ended up with the toxic foam thing (no one knew back then though).
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2020, 08:07 PM)Akhenaten3 Wrote:
  1. S8
  2. S8 Autoset Vantage
  3. S8 Escape II
  4. S9 Elite

S8?!? S9? How freaking ancient were these machines when you used them?

My elderly Airsense 10 was manufactured in spring of 2014.

https://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicin...istory.htm
Post Reply Post Reply
So you only get 2-4 years and just recently had the last one die but the newest machine (S9) is at least 7 years old and the S8s are at least 10 years old.

Did you buy these machines new? Have you used them on a regular basis or let them sit unused? Did you clean them on a regular basis? Did you use ozone cleaners that damage the machine?

With the Autoset 11 now coming out these models are 2-3 generations old, you should try an up to date model before drawing a conclusion on the current quality of Resmed products.
Post Reply Post Reply
My ResMed A10 is about 6 years old and it's still working fine. My ResMed S9 was purchased used about 8 years ago; it's been used as a travel machine for the last 6 years. It's also still working fine.

I had a Philips Respironics System One before that and it lasted for only about 2 years before it started failing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Resmed Airsense 10 autoset is 5 years old and seems to run as well as the day I got it new.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Dave, the shear volume of problems one after another suggests to me this is a power issue. I always run sensitive electronics on either a UPS or at least a line conditioner, and never have premature failures. My last CPAP clocked 40,000+ hours, and while I had to shelf my DS1 after less than a year, I expect to get a good long life out of my new AS10 too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree, that sort of consistent failure of several machines ( very old machines, as was pointed out) that don't have a reputation for failure suggests something wrong at the user end.

My airsense 10 is less than a year old, so I can'[t speak to durability. In all other ways I prefer it to my old Respironics machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 218 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
Question [CPAP] Clear Airway/Central AI? mattymast 3 180 03-30-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,558 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  csa machines cexer 1 132 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 204 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 174 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 276 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.