Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

After a couple of years on CPAP, I am finally keeping my mask on
After a couple of years on CPAP, I am finally keeping my mask on
For the longest time, I have been struggling with yanking my mask off between 1.30am and 3am every night.  So tired but decided to persist

It wasn't until i tried a ton of things (humidier, nasal masks, you name it I tried it) that I finally found the following

- switched a nasal mask 
- increased the pressure from 6 to 8.5 increasing the pressure in incremental steps over time. 
- taped my mouth with a small piece surgical tape
- flex set to 1 from 3

Finally kept my mask on and got to an AHI of 0.9. Still tired but feeling a little less groggy. 

Looks like I still have some RERAs and other events. It is worth pushing the pressure up ? It is strange that when the min pressure was at 6 the 95% pressure was only at 6.5-7 but gradually as was increasing the 95% was going much higher. Last night with the min at 8.5 the 95% was at 11.1.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: After a couple of years on CPAP, I am finally keeping my mask on
Congratulations on making such productive changes! If the posted chart is typical for you, I myself wouldn't recommend any further changes to your settings. However, if you're curious, you could see whether you experience subjective improvement with a higher minimum.

I see that your time with the machine was less than 7 hours. Is that typical for you? I would strongly recommend trying to be sure you can sleep longer, ideally 8 hours, and see whether that helps you feel better during the day.

When your AHI is good but you still don't feel great, your subjective experience should be your overall guide. You want to do what will make you feel as rested as possible during the day, whether that's a matter of tweaking settings, sleeping longer, or following general guidelines for better sleep.

Speaking of which ....

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
mw1655,
I'm curious about the "resistance setting" for the Dreamwear nasal mask.  Your graph shows that you are using a resistance setting of X3.   I'm almost sure this should be set to X1 on your Apap.  

This could make a difference in how your mask feels and the high level of periodic breathing.  Just a thought.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much for the hints. Yes it's normal. I'm trying to sleep longer but the late night conference calls (as I am based in Singapore) and my daughter getting up early doesn't help. I do tend to snatch an extra hour of sleep after I drop my daughter off to school.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'm curious too now. I've never changed that setting. Do you happen to know how that setting impacts the breathing ?

I have nasal mask and I also have one of those anti bacterial filters on the machine where the hose goes into. Was never sure how much that filter would affect the flow rate
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe the Respironics 60 Series Resistance setting allows for the difference in pressure delivery to different type masks, like nasal, full face, pillows and also the difference in size cushion you may be using.

Although, it would be helpful if they updated their chart as many folk still use this machine.  
But with the introduction of the DreamStation, they may not be using those resistance settings, probably similar to ResMeds mask settings.

The resistance numbers are either printed on the mask packaging or mask itself.  If you use a non Respironics mask, they advise leaving the setting at 0.  

https://philipsproductcontent.blob.core....4978bc.pdf
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I changed it X1 last night and I felt awful in the morning - not rested, blocked up nose in the morning. Not sure if that was the cause but I'll reset back to X3 tonight to see if it helps
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 49 849 03-25-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,022 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 175 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,003 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 672 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.