Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

After a good night's sleep, how do you feel?
RE: After a good night's sleep, how do you feel?
I thought that perhaps OSA was at the root of all my problems, and that after the first night of CPAP therapy I might awake and be a whole new person.

Needless to say, I'm still the same person I was. But with far less anxiety and a much-improved outlook on life.

And I'm a lot less grumpy, too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel much better since I have started CPAP, but it's rough for me to get up because it feels so good to lounge around. I just get me a 20oz glass of tea and that gets me going.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm only a few days into CPAP but here's how I define how I feel after a good night's sleep:

For at least a decade I woke up multiple times during the night and often stayed away from 3 a.m. on. I would usually close my office door and try to take a least a 15-minute nap during lunch. When I retired a noon nap continued to be almost a given. Plus, anytime I sat down at the computer for any length of time I got sleepy and often dozed off.

Today was my second on CPAP and this morning my AHI was under 4. Was as high as 37 before treatment. I slept a little over 7 hours last night (still tossing and turning getting used to the mask and machine) but I didn't take a nap today. I walked two miles with the dogs and worked on a house project for a couple of hours. Now it's early evening, I'm sitting at the computer and I don't have any feeling of drowsiness. I guess that would have to be my definition of a "good night's sleep."
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2013, 10:44 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(04-02-2013, 10:22 PM)mikeh99 Wrote: But to really get my engine going I need a 16 oz cup of coffee.

Ah, a very wise man. I'm the same way. Only it's more like 32 oz at a minimum. lots-o-coffee

I'll see your 32 and raise you another 16....

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2013, 03:41 PM)FireInCairo Wrote: Right when you wake up, if you've had a really good night's sleep, how do you feel? Are you bounding out of bed? Are you still sleepy eyed? Are you dragging until you get your coffee?

Do you know by how you feel if you've had a good night's sleep?

Thank you for asking this question. I've been on cpap for 2-1/2 weeks and have only had maybe 3 good nights of sleep during that time (not solely due to getting used to the cpap and mask).

I'm still having to drag myself out of bed and still sleepy in the afternoon. Now that I may have the other issue of my poor nights (related to my dog) under control, I'm looking forward to some days where I may actually feel awake and energized.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some days I wake up with lots of energy and other days I have to drag myself out of bed. The big difference I notice since starting cpap is my ability to think and remember information. I was at the point where I would forget what was going to say in mid sentence. I knew my brain was in a fog and although I craved sleep, I knew that I wouldn't wake up refreshed. I woke up as if I had been drugged. There was no clarity in my thoughts and I felt miserable. I knew I needed more sleep but sleeping longer didn't help my mental state.

Since cpap, I no longer have that brain fog. I like sleeping, even if I don't sleep well. I might wake up not rested but I usually have enough energy to go through the day and don't need an afternoon nap - except on the weekends. I know that even bad sleep is somewhat restorative for me unlike before cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 182 11 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 86 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 70 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.