Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

After first nights on CPAP I'm lost
RE: After first nights on CPAP I'm lost
Gabby,

Please relax and just keep doing the program. Be unconcerned about results right away just work on LEARNING how to do it.

Learn how YOU need to do it, not how someone else needs to do it. (We can offer suggestions but you have ample time to try them.)

You have read enough here to know that people don't get healthy over night; it takes time.

I am really sorry you didn't get a detail data capable machine (it seems) but someone can tell you what all your machine will do.

IF it has a data card you still try reading it to see what is there (summary perhaps?) on your computer with SleepyHead.

Do you best to get them to give you an S9 AUTOSET (there are many S9s as you probably know.)

Keep your spirits up. Get the rest you need. Use the machine as much as practical while doing that.

You had the right idea to wear it in best while resting -- since you were able to do that you know it WILL work for you give time.

Go easy on your as long as you keep doing your part as you now are.

Good luck -- the folks here will help.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2014, 04:05 PM)Gabby Wrote: I've finally started my CPAP treatment. I went and collected a rental machine that I have to use for three months a they ave me a ReMed S8 Spirit. They fixed it to 6.
Sorry to hear they,re messing you around
Do you have to pay the rent $$$ for this machine for 3 months before the government give you a machine?

From "Tips for new CPAP users" wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
2. Trouble getting used to wearing the CPAP device
It may help to start by practicing wearing just the CPAP mask for short periods of time while you're awake, for example while watching TV. Then try wearing the mask and hose with the air pressure on, still during the daytime, while you're awake. Once you become accustomed to how that feels, shift to using the CPAP device every time you sleep — at night and during naps. Inconsistently wearing the CPAP device may delay getting used to it. Stick with it for several weeks or more to see if the mask and pressure settings you have will work for you.

If not mistaken (check it out, links below) S8 Spirit display efficacy data on LCD screen, 95th percentile leak, AHI, apnea index and hypopnea index

S8 setup video http://vimeo.com/19565675

Setup instruction: section two - clinical manual via Email: section three
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2014, 04:05 PM)Gabby Wrote: I've finally started my CPAP treatment. I went and collected a rental machine that I have to use for three months a they ave me a ReMed S8 Spirit. They fixed it to 6.
The S8's were discontinued at least 4 years ago. I sure hope you are NOT paying very much to rent this machine for three months.

Quote:The next morning I tried to look at the machine to se if there was anyway to discover if I had had any leaks but could not find out how to.
The Spirit is a brick---it records only the number of hours you use the machine. There is no efficacy data recorded and that's a real bummer.

Quote:Later in the day I rang the place where I got the machine from and asked about leaks and AHI's etc and she said I won't be able to find that out, unless I have a dry mouth and I said well I did have a dry mouth for the best part. I told her I was distressed that I would not know how I would have leeks and I mentioned that I have a humidifier here for an S9. (She had previously told me in the shop I didn't need a humidifier
Pardon my language, the this person from the DME (the place where you got the machine) is full of crap. Unless you live in a swamp, you likely do need a humidifier for comfort: Most (but not all) CPAPers do find that heated humidification makes the machine much easier to tolerate and there are some of us who really benefit from it and would find CPAP impossible to tolerate for more than a day or two without it.

Quote:and I being overwhelmed by her and having a migraine at the time of my visit to pick up the machine did not mention I already have one, I was kicking myself later) anyway she is sending me an S9 machine in the post on Monday, do not know if it is an Elite but she said it had a smiley face on it so I could tell about the leaks. Maybe it is the Escape Sad
If it has Mr. Smiley face, there's a good chance that it is an Elite. But to be on the safe side, call this person back and ask for the exact model of the machine she is sending to you.

Quote:The woman said I wasn't allowed to read the SD card.
Sorry this is so long but I have no one else to talk to about this.
This too is a load of crap. Once you have a machine that has a regular SD card in it, they can't stop you from getting the appropriate software (we can help) and downloading and looking at your data yourself. The data belongs to YOU. And don't let them convince you otherwise.

Best of luck and I sure hope you've got an Elite coming rather than an Escape.

Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby
I hope you,re still with us, its unusual not hearing hearing from you

Whats the name printed on the machine, S8 AutoSet Spirit II shown in the picture below
[Image: 02-l.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 01:58 PM)zonk Wrote: Gabby
I hope you,re still with us, its unusual not hearing hearing from you

Whats the name printed on the machine, S8 AutoSet Spirit II shown in the picture below
[Image: 02-l.jpg]

Hi Zonk, Thanks for your concern, yes I am still here, just, thank you for the links you sent me but I'm sorry I was unable to really make much of them, mainly due to my state of mind at the moment.
That is nearly my machine you have the photo of, mine is not the 11, it is just the RsesMed Austoset Spirit.
Thank you again for your help. I will write below and thank everyone so much and bring you upto date with my cpap travels.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
BIG THANKYOU to everyone who has taken the time to write and put my mind at ease. You are all so kind and you do not know him much your comments helped me. I do not know what I would have done without them
I am sorry I haven't answered you all individually please forgive me.
Last night I had a good surprise with my 'brick', I went to the toilet, looked at the machine before I took my mask off and it said Mask excellent fit! First time I have seen anything like that in the screen but it made me feel good.
I am still getting dry in the mouth but I am hoping that is because of not having a humidifier and not because of leeks. I cannot feel air blowing out of the mask around my face so I take that as a good result, is it?
I have woken feeling ok, nothing special but I am not yawning like I usually do and don't feel quite as bad as I usually do, still a bit tired. Waking on and off all night.
I do not expect miracles straight off and I am prepared to wait.
I am getting used to my mask and as I said previously I don't mind wearing it through the night.
Thanks for the advice about being able to read my SD card. I will have a go today.
I will be happy when I receive my S9 on Tuesday and get my humidifier set up.
I do not know why they had to give me a rental that was discontinued four years ago, I find that disgusting.
Yes, I have to rent a machine for three months before I am able to receive the free one from the Govt.
I wish I was in a position to go out and buy top shelf equipment but this is not the case so I have to settle with what I have but I am going to give it my all.
Thank you all for your help and your offer of more help as needed.
I am just sorry I haven't felt up to writing to you all personally and thanking you.
Please know how much I appreciate every word every one of you have written to me.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I tried to get my SD card out and read it on SleepyHead but was unable to budge it. Looks like I will have to wait until I receive the S9 machine and also until this machine goes back and they read it and are able to tell me how I faired.
Until then I am just going to concentrate on me and my mask and making sure I feel no air escaping around my face, I am going to relax and get the best sleeps I possibly can. Just hoping and believing the cpap is doing it's job.
I shall bide my time and be trustful and patient and with your support I know I am going to reap the the many benefits that cpap will eventually bring to my life.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 09:14 PM)Gabby Wrote: Well I tried to get my SD card out and read it on SleepyHead but was unable to budge it.

According to the user guide it should just pull out. However I'm pretty sure you won't be able to read it without the special ResMed card reader.
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...nz_eng.pdf

(02-15-2014, 09:14 PM)Gabby Wrote: Until then I am just going to concentrate on me and my mask and making sure I feel no air escaping around my face, I am going to relax and get the best sleeps I possibly can. Just hoping and believing the cpap is doing it's job.
I shall bide my time and be trustful and patient and with your support I know I am going to reap the the many benefits that cpap will eventually bring to my life.

That's a great attitude Gabby. This is something you can't force - just relax and think of England. No! Relax and go with the flow. Grin It takes some getting used to and there will be good nights and bad nights. Try not to get frustrated or impatient, don't try to force things along. But eventually it does come good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby, hopefully you are getting all the crappy stuff out of the way early on so things will go well sooner than later! Glad that the mail is delivered on Monday; it isn't in the US. Let us know how you do on the machine tonight. If you really have bad leaks, you will know it most likely. The big deal is getting the healing started so you will feel better. Hope you have a better sleep tonight and wake up without the same symptoms you have the past few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gabby,
I'm sorry they gave you an older machine to rent when you thought you were going to get a newer one, that's most DMEs for ya.
If my memory serves me right, that machinehas a memory stick in it and you need a special card reader but, hang in there and someone who knows this or similar machine will help you with getting your card out,, soon.
Good luck to you with this slight bump in the road so early in your treatment and don't give up on this.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 271 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 249 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 451 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 582 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 368 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.