Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

After first nights on CPAP I'm lost
RE: After first nights on CPAP I'm lost
(02-16-2014, 12:06 AM)Gabby Wrote:
(02-15-2014, 09:33 PM)me50 Wrote: Gabby, hopefully you are getting all the crappy stuff out of the way early on so things will go well sooner than later! Glad that the mail is delivered on Monday; it isn't in the US. Let us know how you do on the machine tonight. If you really have bad leaks, you will know it most likely. The big deal is getting the healing started so you will feel better. Hope you have a better sleep tonight and wake up without the same symptoms you have the past few days.

Me50 let's hope you are right and I am getting rid of all the crappy stuff at the start, then once I am rid of the rubbish it will be smooth sailing. My S9 machine will not be delivered until Tuesday, they will send it to me on Monday. (Do you only have mail delivery four days a week?)
Until the S9 arrives I will continue to use the S8, so, as you say I can get the healing started. Now that I have started I don't want to stop and as each day passes I will start to feel better and better.

Gabby, I love your attitude.

One other thing you might try is putting your mask on during the day and rolling around a bit to see if you can create noticable leaks. Not like thrashing around, but positions you might get into during normal sleep. Then maybe tighten it up a little bit until that doesn't happen. (Of course, don't make it super tight either). That's what I do when I get a new mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 12:51 AM)zonk Wrote: One more thing, might be good idea to check if the data on the machine been erased, the machine might be used by other people and you don,t want download other people data on your computer, check date and time is correct and they put in a new filter
I assume you've got the clinical manual by now and know everything by heart (exam is not far away)
Edit: btw, how much they,re charging you to rent the machine for 3 months
Hi Zonk, thanks for the advice about making sure I delete any other info that may be on the SD card and checking date and time.
No, I haven't got the clinical manual, good thinking 99, I shall get on to it now.
Actually I will have to make sure which machine I get first.
The rental is $50.00 a month, places wanted to charge me up to $120.00.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 02:08 AM)eviltim Wrote:
(02-16-2014, 12:06 AM)Gabby Wrote:
(02-15-2014, 09:33 PM)me50 Wrote: Gabby, hopefully you are getting all the crappy stuff out of the way early on so things will go well sooner than later! Glad that the mail is delivered on Monday; it isn't in the US. Let us know how you do on the machine tonight. If you really have bad leaks, you will know it most likely. The big deal is getting the healing started so you will feel better. Hope you have a better sleep tonight and wake up without the same symptoms you have the past few days.

Me50 let's hope you are right and I am getting rid of all the crappy stuff at the start, then once I am rid of the rubbish it will be smooth sailing. My S9 machine will not be delivered until Tuesday, they will send it to me on Monday. (Do you only have mail delivery four days a week?)
Until the S9 arrives I will continue to use the S8, so, as you say I can get the healing started. Now that I have started I don't want to stop and as each day passes I will start to feel better and better.

Gabby, I love your attitude.

One other thing you might try is putting your mask on during the day and rolling around a bit to see if you can create noticable leaks. Not like thrashing around, but positions you might get into during normal sleep. Then maybe tighten it up a little bit until that doesn't happen. (Of course, don't make it super tight either). That's what I do when I get a new mask.
Cheers Eviltim good advice and I will take it on board. I am fairly lucky though and don't move a lot at night. I am mostly a back sleeper that sleeps half sitting up. Not sure if that is very good for me or not?
On a side note, I had a snooze this afternoon for about forty minutes, with my mask of course, and usually when I would wake from a nap I would yawn my head off, nice and loudly for about ten, fifteen minutes but today, hardly a yawn was to be heard, so not sure if that was a change due to cpap?
One day at a time Smile
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 11:57 PM)herbm Wrote: Ok, first to get a data card out you PUSH it and this release the lock and it pops out a little, at which point if you get a GOOD GRIP you can pull it out.

Even after it pops, I (with big, strong, agile hands) cannot pull it unless I get the right angle.

Push it -- get a good grip and pull it out.

2nd: You do NOT need a special card reader UNLESS you don't have such a card reader on your PC -- in which case a $20 USB reader will work (if you have a USB port.)

Finally: Won't RESCAN work for this model? Rescan is linked here on this forum and downloadable for the asking.
Hi Herb, thanks for that bit of information. I am just going to wait until the machine lady gives me a report of what has happened to me since I have started using the antiquated machine. Hopefully I will find out my AHI's have decreased.
My first days were awful but I have sorted myself out now, with the help of you good people. I'm not on top but I am getting there and your words of being unconcerned about the results and just work on how to use it, helped a lot.
That's what I am doing. Just putting my mask on, trying to my best ability to make sure there are no leaks and just breathing and trying to get a good sleep.
That is my main concern. Relax and one day at a time.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 05:52 AM)Gabby Wrote: That is my main concern. Relax and one day at a time.

Yeah! That's the secret!

Good job Gabby.

Just remember: "The mask and I are one...."
Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby,

It has been pointed out that I was mistaken about how to work your SDCard on that OLD machine which uses some proprietary data card and reader rather than standard devices.

BUT THE BIG THING is your attititude: One Day At A Time.

That's the way to do it. Do your best and things will improve.

You may need to change machines (yes), masks (maybe), and techniques as you become accustomed to the therapy and learn more but just keep that attitude of slow adaptation and improvement and the people here will help you to succeed.

There is one sure way to fail: Quit -- There is one certain way to SUCCEED: Keep At the Therapy.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 11:12 AM)retired_guy Wrote:
(02-16-2014, 05:52 AM)Gabby Wrote: That is my main concern. Relax and one day at a time.

Yeah! That's the secret!

Good job Gabby.

Just remember: "The mask and I are one...."

Thanks retired_guy, I think of your quote at least once a day "The mask and I are one", I don't think I will ever forget that line Smile

I have just got through another night, I don't mind telling you it is all very stressful for me and I put off going to sleep.
Woke up with a headache and tired, but that's ok.
I will continue to try very hard and stay relaxed and remember it is one day at a time, and of course "the mask and I are one".
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 12:16 PM)herbm Wrote: Gabby,

It has been pointed out that I was mistaken about how to work your SDCard on that OLD machine which uses some proprietary data card and reader rather than standard devices.

BUT THE BIG THING is your attititude: One Day At A Time.

That's the way to do it. Do your best and things will improve.

You may need to change machines (yes), masks (maybe), and techniques as you become accustomed to the therapy and learn more but just keep that attitude of slow adaptation and improvement and the people here will help you to succeed.

There is one sure way to fail: Quit -- There is one certain way to SUCCEED: Keep At the Therapy.
Thanks Herb, no worries, I will not quit, I cannot afford to for the sake of my health.
Anyway, winners never quit and quitters never win, so I have to keep going.
I won't lie, it's stressing me and the thought of doing it for the rest of my life has left me feeling quite low but I am determined to rise above all of this.
One day at a time, practice makes perfect. I will get used to it. A lifetime of bad habits cannot be fixed overnight.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
The main thing that I can offer you about my "fairy tale" experience is this:

When it works completely correctly FOR YOU, it won't be much of a chore at all.

I wrote elsewhere that already for me, the mask is less of a nuisance than wearing less than my favorite t-shirt to bed -- and it offers some immediate advantages (no or little nasal congestion, no dry mouth, sleeping better I am pretty sure, etc.)

This means that "rest of my life" will be both a long and pleasant sentence.

You will achieve this too -- one day at a time.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 05:57 PM)herbm Wrote: I wrote elsewhere that already for me, the mask is less of a nuisance than wearing less than my favorite t-shirt to bed --

Boy do I know what you mean about that one.... "Where's my t-shirt?" (Wife) "I washed it and it's not out of the dryer yet....." "Why did you wash it, it was perfectly good just the way it was." "It was either that, or burn it. Which would you prefer?"

A nice clean washed t-shirt... It'll never be quite the same.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 276 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 453 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 583 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 368 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.