Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

After upgrading to Resmed 11 I have had awful sleep for the last 4 nights
After upgrading to Resmed 11 I have had awful sleep for the last 4 nights
My Resmed S9 was warning that the motor was beyond life expectancy so I purchased a new 11 and it's been awful. It's hard to describe but for the past 4 nights I have been waking up feeling as if I can't get enough air. Eventually, after a couple of minutes, I take the mask off as I feel like I am hyperventilating. Then I try to go back to bed but the feeling of not getting enough air continues. Eventually, after about an hour of staying up without the CPAP on I try again and everything appears to be working fine and I go back to bed. Desperate to figure out what the heck is going on I installed an SD card and downloaded OSCAR. I don't know how to read these charts and I was hoping you guys could help me out. I noticed that my Tidal Volume was < 500 until about 5 minutes before the event when it ranged 800-1100. It stayed around 800 on my 2nd and 3rd attempt to put the CPAP back on and go back to bed. Not sure if that's a clue or not. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide...what if anything do you see or what suggestion do you have for me?

Graph of my entire 2 hour sleep:

Here I zoomed in to about 5 minutes before I woke up and my two attempts to go back to bed:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: After upgrading to Resmed 11 I have had awful sleep for the last 4 nights
Post the settings of your S9 and the settings of your Air11 for comparison. Ensure you're posting the setting information on the left side of the OSCAR window.
Post Reply Post Reply
We need the information in the Daily Sidebar (F8) to see the settings, pressure performance and respiratory statistics. Please include the daily sidebar, and if possible, sleep with the S9 and get some data for comparison. My suspicion is that you are using a minimum pressure of 4.0 with EPR at 3 and as a result are not seeing high enough pressure for the EPR to be functional. A minimum pressure of 7.0 is required to stabilize pressure and to make EPR functional. If you are using ramp, turn it off.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your replies.  Although I have been using a CPAP I am new here and to OSCAR, I should have known you would need the settings.  Last night after creating these posts out of desperation I went back to the S9 and had my first good night sleep in several days.  I am posting the settings from the Air 11 below plus the S9 along with the data from last nights sleep.  Thanks again!!

Air11 Settings:

S9 settings and one night sleep data:

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for including the sidebar. The charts that are most helpful are event flags, flow rate, pressure, leak rate, and flow limitations. I agree with Sleeprider that you should raise your minimum pressure to 7 not only to take full advantage of EPR bt also because it may reduce pressure fluctuations which may be disrupting your sleep.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My recommendations are unchanged. Turn off ramp, minimum pressure 7.0 and EPR full time at 3. The settings were what I expected.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider and Melman.  Last night after the event occurred I did try to change it from Autoset to CPAP with 8 and no ramp.  Although the machine said it was blowing at 8 and I could feel the air flowing through the nasal pillows I was unable to keep it on as I felt somehow that I was lacking air.  I can't explain it but I know air is flowing through but when this happens it just isn't enough oxygen.  The first 3 nights I tried multiple times after waking up the first time to go back to bed but I couldn't because of this feeling of having a lack of oxygen.  However, all 3 nights after I stopped using the machine for about an hour when I went to put it back on without changing any settings the lock of oxygen was gone and I was able to go back to bed.  

I know this likely doesn't make much sense or doesn't help but at this point, I think I likely just need to return the unit....maybe it's bad considering that my S9 worked great last night and has worked awesome for many years.
Post Reply Post Reply
This idea may be a stretch, but don't dismiss it as such things have happened. is there any possibility there may be a leak somewhere such as in the hose, a short piece of tubing attached to the hose, or between the pillow and the mask, or where the pillow plugs into the mask? I've heard of people not being able to feel the leaks, but then seeing them when they place the hose under water. Do you have extras on hand to swap out and experiment a bit?
Post Reply Post Reply
When changing to CPAP mode from Autoset, it's possible EPR was changed. I prefer to remain in Autoset mode to track flow limitation, but set maximum and minimum pressure the same, but ensure EPR remains where I want it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 183 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 606 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 564 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 216 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  Curing CSA by upgrading to CRT pacemaker? Per Laursen 1 181 03-02-2024, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.