Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aha! See also: I was an idiot....
Grin 
Aha! See also: I was an idiot....
So, for a while, I couldn't figure out what was causing me to rip off my mask in the middle of the night without knowing. Turns out, as I was rolling, I would tangle in the hose, and actually be LAYING on the hose at the times I pulled it off! So, it looks like I am looking for a hose management system, to bring the hose from above......
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Aha! See also: I was an idiot....
(01-23-2016, 03:22 PM)Want2SleepInMT Wrote: So, for a while, I couldn't figure out what was causing me to rip off my mask in the middle of the night without knowing. Turns out, as I was rolling, I would tangle in the hose, and actually be LAYING on the hose at the times I pulled it off! So, it looks like I am looking for a hose management system, to bring the hose from above......

I just bent a wire clothes hangar in half, tucked the curled part that you hang on a rod towards the back to avoid it scratching me, and hung it over the head of my bed. Applied painters tape to the part behind the head of the bed to keep it in place unobtrusively. The tubing slides nicely into the half of the hangar that is about 10 inches aboveSleep-well my pillow and the wire "threads" on the tubing even can be stabilized at the end of the hanger as it gets smaller at the lower end. You could wrap a hand towel or any piece of soft fabric around the lower end of the hanger if you want but I don't.

Sleep-well
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2016, 03:22 PM)Want2SleepInMT Wrote: So, for a while, I couldn't figure out what was causing me to rip off my mask in the middle of the night without knowing. Turns out, as I was rolling, I would tangle in the hose, and actually be LAYING on the hose at the times I pulled it off! So, it looks like I am looking for a hose management system, to bring the hose from above......

You might want to explore the "Dreamwear" mask where the hose point is at the top of the head. I do turn over frequently and have never had a problem with this mask.

Walt

Sleep-well

Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2016, 03:44 PM)wolson Wrote:

You might want to explore the "Dreamwear" mask where the hose point is at the top of the head. I do turn over frequently and have never had a problem with this mask.

Walt

Sleep-well

I had that one as my first at home mask, (still have it actually) and like it, except every time I move, or readjust my pillow or angle of my head, I get a fast blast of air into my eyes, which wakes me up. I was so bummed about it too. Other than that, I loved that mask!

Post Reply Post Reply

The most interesting fact is not being included here Grin. How did you discover what was happening? Did someone see it? Did you record yourself sleeping? Just curious. I've thought of recording myself for other reasons as I'm very curious how I change positions at night, but I've never done it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2016, 03:46 PM)Want2SleepInMT Wrote:
(01-23-2016, 03:44 PM)wolson Wrote:

Walt

Sleep-well

I had that one as my first at home mask, (still have it actually) and like it, except every time I move, or readjust my pillow or angle of my head, I get a fast blast of air into my eyes, which wakes me up. I was so bummed about it too. Other than that, I loved that mask!

The one thing that I find with this mask is that straps must be adjusted just so. Too loose and it leaks. Too tight and it hurts my nose. But between these extremes is a "sweet spot" where it neither leaks nore hurts. I do use HPA Lanolin cream on nose.
(This can be found in the baby section of your pharmacy but you do have to look closely at the product ingredients.) A very little amount is all that is necessary. I assume my Destin tube will probably last a year or more.

I think it was SleepRider that suggested marking your straps when you find the "sweet spot," and I couldn't agree more. The nose pieces should be replaced every two weeks and are paid for by Medicare in my case.

Once you get used to the noise, (it takes a week or so,) I can't even tell that I have it on: I sometimes lift the mask just to see if it is working!

Walt

Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
Another opinion............

I start on my back, machine is on my left on a table equal height to the bed. I take the hose and route enough of it above the pillow and tuck it just under the upper right corner of the pillow. This allows me to turn to either side during the night and no tension on the snout/mask as I roll.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2016, 05:45 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote: The most interesting fact is not being included here Grin. How did you discover what was happening? Did someone see it? Did you record yourself sleeping? Just curious. I've thought of recording myself for other reasons as I'm very curious how I change positions at night, but I've never done it.

No I didn't record myself, I just happened to be awake enough during a position change, and it happened without me realizing it. Although the thought of recording a night sleep would be kind of interesting, as during my sleep study they said I was a "mover." I have had to go on a lot of presumption, and guess and check, as I am single, so there is nobody to really observe the stuff that happens while asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a "mover" you need to be sure your machine cannot be pulled off a nightstand or table onto the floor.

I use a 2-drawer side-table with the CPAP in the bottom drawer, and the hose is routed thru a hole in the back. It is suspended by a lanyard to the headboard. I have plenty of room to move around in bed without tangling or pulling the machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a "hose buddy". Works great for me. If you have a headboard and want a lower cost solution, you can buy some cheap 'velcro' from the box store for computer cable management. Staple a piece to the back of the head board and wrap it around the hose and velcro it.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] UARS Treatment, on VAuto symptoms persisting, I'm an idiot when it comes to OSCAR pistolpasta 7 793 07-01-2021, 08:34 PM
Last Post: pistolpasta
Wink REMINDER: IDIOT-PROOFING YOUR S10 srlevine1 10 2,542 07-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.