Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ahh, that new machine smell
RE: Ahh, that new machine smell
(04-13-2016, 06:10 PM)Possum Wrote: If the probability of occurrence of Event A is greater than that of Event B, then one could reasonably conclude that over a given interval of time, Event A occurs "more often" than Event B.
Therefore, one might expect to get more leaks, in general, with a FFM mask than a nasal pillow, since a FFM has a "higher probability" of generating leaks due to its higher sealing area. I wasn't suggesting that they have a higher baseline leak..

however, they do not *inherently* have a greater amount of leak. I've seen people with well fitting ffms that had a low leak line and people that had trouble with nasal and pillow masks with worse leak lines.

I believe that the way to phrase it correctly would be "getting low leak lines on a ffm can be more challenging".

(04-13-2016, 06:10 PM)Possum Wrote: And, I disagree that leaks, in general, are fine. If they can be controlled through further optimization of your setup, why wouldn't you want to proactively address them BEFORE they exceed the normal operating parameters of the machine and end up reducing the effectiveness of your therapy?

you are *certainly* entitled to your opinion. however, if someone is leaking 10lpm all night long, and it isn't bothering them, or their sleeping partner, then telling 'em to worry about it seems detrimental.... and doesn't improve their therapy, since any machine (I believe) can handle that much excess leakage and not even care.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 06:23 PM)palerider Wrote: ...

troll!Smile
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 06:25 PM)sdb7802 Wrote:
(04-13-2016, 06:23 PM)palerider Wrote: ...

troll!Smile

Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply
now come on, guys... being pedantic, nitpicky, or having strong opinions is not trolling, it is just a personality quirk that many otherwise valuable members of society have. calling someone a troll however, could be seen as a personal attack.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
DariaVader,

I was referring to one of palerider's earlier posts today where he talked about being accused of being a troll. (excuse my grammar)

He's more like a pain in the @ss. So am I.SmileSmileSmile

I do respect his knowledge, intellect, and persistence. I don't mean to offend palerider or anyone else.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile good to hear.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee Grin phantasmagoric Grin Coffee
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 06:23 PM)palerider Wrote: however, they do not *inherently* have a greater amount of leak.

Which part of "I wasn't suggesting that they [FFM] have a higher baseline leak" did you not understand?

(04-13-2016, 06:23 PM)palerider Wrote: I believe that the way to phrase it correctly would be "getting low leak lines on a ffm can be more challenging".

Thanks for the suggestions on phrasing. Certainly most folks are on here to read semantic arguments. like

(04-13-2016, 06:23 PM)palerider Wrote: you are *certainly* entitled to your opinion. however, if someone is leaking 10lpm all night long, and it isn't bothering them, or their sleeping partner, then telling 'em to worry about it seems detrimental.... and doesn't improve their therapy, since any machine (I believe) can handle that much excess leakage and not even care.

It's unclear to me how advising people to pay close attention to every aspect of their data, including leaks, could be detrimental, but then again I am professional scientist and thus deeply interested in things that many couldn't care less about. Anyway, in my *opinion* the whole purpose of looking at PAP data in these software packages we are fortunate enough to have access to is to be fastidious, observant, and critical, and take active steps to correct anything that might be "off" before it turns into something more problematic. That was also the whole purpose of my original post, which unfortunately at this point seems to be lost in the ether.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 10:55 PM)Possum Wrote: It's unclear to me how advising people to pay close attention to every aspect of their data, including leaks, could be detrimental,

of course it's good to pay close attention to their data. that's never been in dispute, as far as I know.

where we appear to differ is that I say "as long as you're within limits, and not being bothered by the leaks... it's OK to not beat yourself up over not having a perfect zero leak line."

and, to get back to the stated topic, I think that "new machine smell" which to me is faintly powdery, is offgassing of the silicone inside. Big Grin

I've smelled that same smell on other silicone bits before.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2016, 11:19 AM)Possum Wrote: Now after one night with a new machine I feel awesome!

Congrats on getting your new machine.

(04-13-2016, 11:19 AM)Possum Wrote: I suppose my point with this post is, "If you think something is wrong, then something probably is"

Amen

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,829 9 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,232 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,181 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,408 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Resmed Climateline tubing smell wenfroed 21 7,664 10-08-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.