Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can Clear Airway Apnea not be Central Apnea?
RE: Can Clear Airway Apnea not be Central Apnea?
(07-24-2012, 09:32 PM)tomko44 Wrote: Here is what I have from Sleepyhead for lat night:

Hyponea .29
Obstructive 1.45
Clear Airway 3.62
PB/SCR .51%

The Hyponeas seem to always coincide with the CA

This is not bad at all. Especially for a beginner. I suspect the numbers were a bit higher in the past? Did you look to see how long these events are lasting?

Quote:Just started 11 days ago and they put me on Max pressure on the BiPAP (25/21). I am using the Mirage FX and I know it is technically not rated for 25.

I was told in my sleep study my AHI was 109.

Well, you're doing much better than that now!

Did you check to see what your leaks look like?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2012, 08:29 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-24-2012, 09:32 PM)tomko44 Wrote: Here is what I have from Sleepyhead for lat night:

Hyponea .29
Obstructive 1.45
Clear Airway 3.62
PB/SCR .51%

The Hyponeas seem to always coincide with the CA

This is not bad at all. Especially for a beginner. I suspect the numbers were a bit higher in the past? Did you look to see how long these events are lasting?

Quote:Just started 11 days ago and they put me on Max pressure on the BiPAP (25/21). I am using the Mirage FX and I know it is technically not rated for 25.

I was told in my sleep study my AHI was 109.

Well, you're doing much better than that now!

Did you check to see what your leaks look like?

I'll take a look when I get home, but I believe the avg is 68. I know that the leaks SEEM high, but a large part of it is due to the pressure and the mask type (at 20 the rate is listed as 45 and mine is 25/21).
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2012, 08:56 AM)tomko44 Wrote: I'll take a look when I get home, but I believe the avg is 68. I know that the leaks SEEM high, but a large part of it is due to the pressure and the mask type (at 20 the rate is listed as 45 and mine is 25/21).

Yes, that's right. But look at the leak graph and see if there are times when it spikes upward and stays there for several minutes. These could be periods of time when you're mouth-leaking.

BTW, how'd that new chinstrap work for you?

Another thing you can do is look at the machine's on-screen display. Scroll down to "Percent time in large leak" and see what it says. If it's anything above 0% that's another indicator that you've got a leak problem somewhere.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2012, 09:54 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-25-2012, 08:56 AM)tomko44 Wrote: I'll take a look when I get home, but I believe the avg is 68. I know that the leaks SEEM high, but a large part of it is due to the pressure and the mask type (at 20 the rate is listed as 45 and mine is 25/21).

Yes, that's right. But look at the leak graph and see if there are times when it spikes upward and stays there for several minutes. These could be periods of time when you're mouth-leaking.

BTW, how'd that new chinstrap work for you?

Another thing you can do is look at the machine's on-screen display. Scroll down to "Percent time in large leak" and see what it says. If it's anything above 0% that's another indicator that you've got a leak problem somewhere.

0% Large Leaks. 0% Snore. I usually wake up if I start mouth breathing or if the mask shifts, and the mouth is generally barely open so the machine is not really classifying it correctly it since there is no snore.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've seem a great increase in those asking about central apneas since the new machines measure CA. I don't know if they are truly central apneas, only the lab with a polysomnogram can say with certainty. Wiki says 0.4% apeneas are CA, 84% are Obstructive and 15% mixed. Sleepsteer gave (as did others) a good reply.
Good luck. The most important things are good sleep and using the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2012, 05:38 PM)tomko44 Wrote: I just started using my Bi-PAP machine 11 days ago and most of my Apneas are "Clear Airway" per Restronics. I have no detectable snore, but I know that at times my mouth is opening slightly. I think that that is being detected as Clear Airway. Is that possible? Thanks!

I am not quite sure how the machine determines that you have a clear airway apnea or exactly what it is. Cpap does not work when you breath or leak thru your mouth so before you can figure out how to solve the problem you have to eliminate mouth breathing and leaking. If you switch to a full face mask it is ok to breath thru your mouth with cpap so it would be a good idea to get a full face mask then see if your problems go away. If not you can then make adjustments knowing that the problem is not really caused by mouth breathing or leaking.
GeneS
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I know about the algorithms, the physics, and the human respiratory system, I have a fairly good bit of confidence that when the CPAP machine says "clear airway" or "central," it's a real central apnea vs. an obstructive apnea.

I have a lot less confidence that all centrals are flagged as "CA" by the machine.

I'll also point out that centrals aren't necessarily more harmful than obstructive apneas. They're just harder to eliminate and often aren't fixed by a higher CPAP pressure.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2012, 12:10 AM)JJJ Wrote:
(07-24-2012, 10:57 PM)zonk Wrote: I think you need to start a new thread what mask works for high pressure so folk on high pressure can help with their suggestion.

It would be great if there was a list of all masks and their pressure ratings.

And it would be great if the new section includes tips like using the ResMed Gecko "nasal pad" nose guard.

For me, it completely fixes leaks near the nose and eyes, and it prevents my nose from getting chewed up by my Full Face mask.

--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's also quite common to hold your breath during a temporary awakening and when you're rolling over or changing position.
Sleep studies understand when you're sleeping or not and ignores awake 'CA's, your machine can't.
Leaks can often wake you causing a pause in your breathing and registering a CA. If your breathing is jaggy before it stops then it usually means you've been disturbed and can ignore the CA, you still need to solve whatever causes the disturbance though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 587 43 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,519 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 352 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.