Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having your MRI if you have Sleep Apnea!
Having your MRI if you have Sleep Apnea!
Hello. I have a question for you all. If you do notice, I'm playing with the font size here on the Apnea Board. Its always nice to have large font when I'm reading. I am legally Blind, but can see somewhat. Well, enough to adjust my PAP Pressures. Hehehe. thank the lord. I do have a question. With my Sleep Apnea, obviously, I use a BiLevel machine. Well I've been in the situation before where I was in situations for example in the hospital getting a CT Scan, or an MRI. Now, a CT Scan is pretty quick at least so far, and I've had NUMEROUS. I've had MRIs too, NUMEROUS, and this is different. I LOOOOVE the MRI machines. Words do nothing to describe how relaxing and calming that those sounds are to me.Especially theBIDE sequence. Oh, now just thinking about that sond, makes me sleepy. But anyhow, being that i have small airways, and I ALWAYS fall asleep on the MRI table, I have to at least be on Supplemental Oxygen at around 6L/min via Nasal Cannula during the MRI since otherwise, I desaturate. I am also to be monitored via the MRI compatable patient monitor's Pulse oximetrry function at a minimum Monitoring level. I have attempted to get them to bring their MRI Compatable Ventilator in so that I can set pressure Support and of course, the CPAP thus essentially putting me on the BiLevel supportive mode. They have not done that. I have a question. Has anybody else actually had that done in the MRI machine, where they actually managed to have an MRI compatable ventilator brought in with obviously a Noninvasive Mask so that they could be set up on CPAP or BiLevel during an MRI in case they fell asleep? Because without my BiLevel Therapy during sleep, My Desaturations are Hidious into the 40s and in really deep sleep, into even worse depths. Thank you, and I really appreciate the Apnea Board for all that has been done here. After using ResScan, and SleepyHead, I've found that with profound experiments, and hours of work deciding which one I love best, I will have to pick resScan. It took a little bit of work to get it to work right on my computer, however, now that it is working, I have to say, that ResScan is my choice.I'm still going to use SleepyHead to double check suspicious things that I see on ResScan. I discovered that when I'm in my deep stages of sleep, and all comfortable at night, my mouth relaxes, and my Full Face Mask likes to spring a leak. So, getting that fix was very easy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Having your MRI if you have Sleep Apnea!
The time you are in a MRI machine itself is very short - no more than 20 minutes to a half hour if it is a complex scan and most under 10 - 15 minutes for most normal look-sees. Long scans of 2 hours are rare and only when it is a very complex procedure, and even then it is done in 10 to 15 minute segments or less, for safety's sake. So you can figure around 45 minutes altogether in the scanning facility, including breaks and dye injections if you need them. Not knowing what you are having scanned I cannot be more precise than that. The point I am making is that the time you may nap is probably quite short, as little as 5 minutes out of the entire procedure - all you need to do is inform them of your breathing needs and they will give you a breathing device appropriate for their methods and usually sufficient to get you through your procedure - to date I have not heard of people suffering damage from oxygen deprivation on the MRI table, unless they had come in in a very bad state to start with, and that is passing rare, and never from Sleep Apnoea, although there are other conditions that can be dicey. Taking a CPAP in there is inadvisable, due to the intense magnetic radiation. The amount of time you are asleep on the table simply isn't enough for you to worry about - it is less than a cat-nap and so is unlikely to be damaging to you given your stated levels, even without supplemental O2. With supplemental O2 you are in safe hands. Don't worry too much about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bilevel 48, I do not have much advice to give you. I do like the large font because I do not need my reading glasses. I also very much enjoy and relax when I have a MRI. I find the sounds fascinating. I just close my eyes and think that I am in a science fiction movie.

Brad
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2015, 05:35 PM)car54 Wrote: Bilevel 48, I do not have much advice to give you. I do like the large font because I do not need my reading glasses. I also very much enjoy and relax when I have a MRI. I find the sounds fascinating. I just close my eyes and think that I am in a science fiction movie.

Brad
WOW. I am so glad that you like me are somebody who just LOVE the soothing sounds that the MRI puts off. I've underwent full body MRI numerous times,and you can spend upwards to 4 hours in those things. And let's just say, the time goes by WAY too quickly. I have a playlist of YouTube videos in a playlist on YouTube of MRI sounds, and I can just lie back and think of myself inthe MRI machine. It is soooo nice. And if you really really take the time to just absorb that wonderful sound, you will really really hear a beautiful repeatative Melody. I love the BIDE sequence which is in the Key of D amd I must say, I sometimes at night hear that during my sleep when I am dreaming of an MRI machine. I could go on and on. A lot of patients do not like that sound, and I cannot imagine how they could NOT like that wonderful sound. I mean, I LOVE IT. Before I go in, I warn them to announce the Sequence that they are going to use before starting that sequence, like the FLARE Sequence, or the wonderful BIDE sequence. I tell them not to worry about the headphones. Those stupid things are in the way, and I don't need them anyways. I've got music already. THE MRI MACHINE is PERFECT.
Post Reply Post Reply

With any modern browser you can easily increase the font size simply by holding down the <Ctrl> and tapping your + key. No need for special large fonts.

Likewise <ctrl><-> will decrease it.

I think is best not to force others to reduce or increase their font size to meet your special needs when you can easily do it yourself.

I do not know of a single browser designed in the last 10 years that won't follow this convention.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I went ahead and removed the large text tags from BiLevel48's post to make it more readable for most people. Like Ed said, if you have trouble with the font size, simple hold down the CTRL key and the + key together and it will enlarge the font size for you only, and not force others to see the entire post in HUGE fonts.

Thanks.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
hold down the CTRL key and the + key together and it will enlarge the font size for you only
Post Reply Post Reply
Or Ctrl and the scroll wheel together will shrink/enlarge. That's what I do. Either method works with not just the browser, but within nearly every program as it has become a standard. It not only enlarges the font being viewed/typed, it also enlarges the entire screen.

Should Bilevel enlarge his font again and forget to shrink it before posting, members can simply use the Ctrl - or scroll wheel method to shrink it until a moderator can change it for him. We need to remember we all have different needs.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2015, 12:40 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: ........ We need to remember we all have different needs.

Maybe everybody else has different needs. But I don't have different needs. My needs are the same.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 244 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 353 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 293 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 566 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.