Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure?
RE: Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure?
(10-27-2019, 06:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I get air to leak out of my eye (tear duct I suppose) when I am using the CPAP. I need a wee little party horn or kazoo for it. Hey, we could form a band!

Hmmm, I do sometimes feel a tiny bit of air blowing in my eyes with no apparent leaks ....

I need to have my eardrum punctured to drain a month or two before starting CPAP, but didn’t get a tube. The hole closed within a week or so.

Sometimes that ear will suddenly inflate when I shift my head on the pillow. I use the technique you described, sometimes followed by swallowing and/or gently sucking while holding my nose. Sometimes I also tug down and outward mommy earlobe (roughly 45 degrees) while swallowing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops, I just noticed the “mommy earlobe” autocorrection snafu. The window for corrections has already closed. Oh well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2019, 06:20 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 01:34 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: If your ear fullness persists after performing the valsalva maneuver, you might have a physiological problem.

I had a CT scan of my head last year, ordered by the ENT. We were looking for reasons for my symptoms (vertigo, ear fullness, ear pain, tinnitus). Not only did they find I had a brain (I waved the proof in front of several friends) but there was no tumor, no eustachian tube issues, etc.

Your symptoms do sound like meniere’s.   If that is indeed your diagnosis then tubes may not help much for that and you should get an allergy, metabolic and or autoimmune workup.  If you do suspect allergies and autoimmune issues ensure that your ENT specializes in this area.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, the dx isn't official but that is where they are leaning.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2019, 06:20 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I had a CT scan of my head last year, ordered by the ENT. We were looking for reasons for my symptoms (vertigo, ear fullness, ear pain, tinnitus). Not only did they find I had a brain (I waved the proof in front of several friends) but there was no tumor, no eustachian tube issues, etc.

Hey! I'm brand new to CPAP (on week 3), but this caught my eye because I have something called an Acoustic Neuroma - with the exact same ear symptoms. I also had a clear CT scan, but the symptoms continued and gradually added on new friends of facial tingling/numbness. About a year later my doctor ordered an MRI and they found the neuroma in my inner ear. I am finding that the neuroma and my cpap do not always play well together. I was treated a few years ago for the neuroma and now the fullness, pain, and tinnitus are more pronounced with the cpap. 

Not wanting to diagnose you OR alarm you... just want to let you know that the CT scan might not reflect everything that's happening in your ear.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, that's what they were looking for. Neuromas, malformations, etc. The CT scan was done with and without contrast. The only thing found were white spots in my brain which they said were calcifications due to migraines. So now I take low dose aspirin because, hey, I don't take enough meds.

The tinnitus is driving me nuts. I can't sit in the quiet anymore without slowly getting agitated. I have music going all the time. Or use my whitenoise app to play "pink" noise mixed with whatever. Then add in the fullness/pressure and the ear pain and I'm a happy camper.

But, I'll use the CPAP because, over the years, I have become addicted to sleeping. Nasty habit, sure, but I just can't seem to quit. Ya know?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 235 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 274 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 402 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,628 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.