Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air Fit P10 - fitting question / leaks
Air Fit P10 - fitting question / leaks
So, I'm reading the forums (and enjoying and learning) every night. I'm almost 3 weeks into being a hose head! Yea! I find myself looking forward to bedtime.

My leak rate is 24, my smiley is always green. But I have leaks, I hear leaks, I feel leaks. My mouth is dry. I got a new bite guard (wore out the other), and I tried a chin strap using an ace bandage. The best improvement I got was 22.

After reading all 16 pages tonight of the review for the P10, I now wonder if the XS is too small for my nostrils. Just how tight is the seal supposed to be? I couldn't find the post about how they were supposed to fit that someone mentioned in the reviews.

Any thoughts? A link? How far/tight[/size][/font] into your nose do these guys go? I do sleep all over, back, side, face down, on a feather pillow. I tried a memory foam pillow, but it made me hot. Maybe I am just knocking the mask?

On bright side, trips to bathroom down to one around 5 am. And I am averaging 9 hours of sleep. I WAS so tired. I know it's helping, but I'm determined to stop the leaks if possible.

Still too novice with Sleepyhead to make heads or tails of what's happening when. Any help is appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air Fit P10 - fitting question / leaks
Hi Nananeedssleep,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try the next size up on your pillows, they shouldn’t go very far into your nostriles.
It’s good to hear that you are noticing improvements with your CPAP therapy, now if you could get your leaks lower, and I know you are really trying, that will be even better for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed has some fitting videos on their site. My recollection of the one about pillows was that you hold it up just under your nose while facing a mirror. The right size will have the prongs/cones/whatever centered nicely under each nostril. I guess that's your starting point, because lots of pillow users seem to go up to the next larger size to get more air flow.

HTH - Phil
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I was pretty careful, used lanolin, chin strap, and tightened down more. Leak was 22. Still a small improvement. But, my event number was 1.6, lowest yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
XS is too small for most folks, in my experience. Go up at least to small, see what your leak readout is.
You want the largest size that will fit comfortably.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will move up a size tonight, and keep everything else I am doing the same. I was pleased with event reduction, but just not leak number. I realize this is a slow process of elimination and trial and error, and I'm trying to be patient.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Nananeedssleep,
The P10 mask should not be worn too tight, and the nasal pillows should just sit under nostrils and inserted just a little. Once the machine is turned on, the pillows will inflate a bit and you can jiggle them just a little to make sure you have a good seal.

If you are experiencing a lot of leaks, it it more than likely you are pushing the mask sideways as you move around. This can happen with any type mask.

My DME told me to use a size X small, but I found the size small to work better.

Give it time, some adapt right away, and others take longer.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2015, 08:38 PM)Nananeedssleep Wrote: So, I'm reading the forums (and enjoying and learning) every night. I'm almost 3 weeks into being a hose head! Yea! I find myself looking forward to bedtime.

My leak rate is 24, my smiley is always green. But I have leaks, I hear leaks, I feel leaks. My mouth is dry. I got a new bite guard (wore out the other), and I tried a chin strap using an ace bandage. The best improvement I got was 22.

After reading all 16 pages tonight of the review for the P10, I now wonder if the XS is too small for my nostrils. Just how tight is the seal supposed to be? I couldn't find the post about how they were supposed to fit that someone mentioned in the reviews.

Any thoughts? A link? How far/tight[/size][/font] into your nose do these guys go? I do sleep all over, back, side, face down, on a feather pillow. I tried a memory foam pillow, but it made me hot. Maybe I am just knocking the mask?

On bright side, trips to bathroom down to one around 5 am. And I am averaging 9 hours of sleep. I WAS so tired. I know it's helping, but I'm determined to stop the leaks if possible.

Still too novice with Sleepyhead to make heads or tails of what's happening when. Any help is appreciated!

I was using the same mask and had no leaks. I would try the next size up in pillows and see if that works. The P10 is a great mask but the head gear is terrible as in my case it wasn't ever tight enough to stay on my head when I rolled onto my side. It may be that the head gear is to loose on you causing a leak. I had to switch to the FX and now I get through the night with the mask on but the FX is noisy and has a jet stream of air that is irritating to say the least.
Post Reply Post Reply
I switched to the small size pillows, and left off the chin strap. My event number was 1.5. That night of sleep didn't feel restful at all and the leak rate was 22. The next night I sleep wonderfully, leak rate was 20, but the even number was 4.5! Higher than anything in the last two weeks. So last night, leaks held at 20, and my event number was 2.5. Sleep was not as good as the night before, but still good, sleeping 6 hours before awaking.

Who knew this would be such an up and down thing, and I'd sleep great with low numbers, and vice versa. I'm still hoping to wake up and have those leaks closer to 10, but who knows. Tonight I may move to the medium pillows and check that out.

I've wondered it my pressure should be higher? It's 5-10. ? When I look at the pressure graphs it seems to me I'm in the upper half of the graph most of the night. However, I'm not comfortable at the analysis. Would appreciate thoughts on that. Will more pressure cause more leaks? I hate to change another variable. I think I have ruled out the need for the chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2015, 07:16 PM)Nananeedssleep Wrote: I switched to the small size pillows, and left off the chin strap. My event number was 1.5. That night of sleep didn't feel restful at all and the leak rate was 22. The next night I sleep wonderfully, leak rate was 20, but the even number was 4.5! Higher than anything in the last two weeks. So last night, leaks held at 20, and my event number was 2.5. Sleep was not as good as the night before, but still good, sleeping 6 hours before awaking.

Who knew this would be such an up and down thing, and I'd sleep great with low numbers, and vice versa. I'm still hoping to wake up and have those leaks closer to 10, but who knows. Tonight I may move to the medium pillows and check that out.

I've wondered it my pressure should be higher? It's 5-10. ? When I look at the pressure graphs it seems to me I'm in the upper half of the graph most of the night. However, I'm not comfortable at the analysis. Would appreciate thoughts on that. Will more pressure cause more leaks? I hate to change another variable. I think I have ruled out the need for the chin strap.

Hi,

Have used the P10 for over a year now, and found it works fine for me. Your AHI numbers may vary from night to night. As long as the unintentional leak rate is low and you're feeling rested, then your good to go.

Yes, more pressure will cause higher leaks, both intentional and unintentional.

Stay with it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.