Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air Leaking from hose connector?
Air Leaking from hose connector?
Folks:

I am very new here. Have been using the ResMed AirSense 10 machine. Originally the doctor had the supplier set the machine at the 4-20 pressure level. I have no problem falling asleep, but then the machine increases pressure level to about 7.5 and I start hearing a loud air hissing sound around the hose connector, which naturally wakes me up. Very annoying. I adjusted the min / mas pressure to 4-5 and tried using the machine. I still have a lot of air leakage around the hose connector to the full face mask. I this normal? Also my machine reports 1L/hour leakage even on low pressure.

Appreciate any advice, as I don't have insurance to keep going to the doctor and pay $300 per visit.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air Leaking from hose connector?
Don't change the pressure, find the leak. Many people use pressures to 20 and above. The hose is the last place it should leak though. I hope the leak is in the hose (they are cheap) not the tube into the mask (expensive). Would have had to been smashed or pulled loose, which can happen. So fire it up and find the exact location of the leak, would guess it is where hose meets the coupler or rubber end. Depending on where it is you may be able to Macgiver it just don't use glue or chemicals that you will smell forever.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
The FFM's have an anti asphyxia valve. It's a flapper at the elbow. It should close tight when pressure is on.
Make sure it's not the source of your leak.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know if there is an SD card in the machine? If so, please download the Sleepyhead software and look at the graph for leaks. On Sleepyhead software Wiki: "ResMed users will NOT have a line for Total Leak data since the S9 records only the unintentional leak data. The graph shows a line of 24 for OK leakage (below 24) and Not OK leakage (above 24)."

You said: "I still have a lot of air leakage around the hose connector to the full face mask." I am assuming you know there is "intentional" leakage and "unintentional" leakage and the difference between the two. Intentional leak is built into APAP/CPAPs to keep the air flowing from the machine to the mask so we cannot re-breathe our exhaled air. This usually (if not always) discharges right by the nose or where the hose meets the mask. Is this where you are noticing the leak?

I am assuming you have checked the fit of all the hoses and ensured they are snug and air tight.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
The leak seems to be coming from where the hose connector comes inside the mask (in my picture I tried to point this area out using RED color). It does not seem to be coming from the Anti-asphyxia valve (GREEN in my pic).

If this leak is in fact intentional that would be very bad. For one thing it gets super loud and hissy as the machine ramps up to about 7.5 in pressure. Also the machine is recording a leakage as well, which from what I understand is an indicator of a problem.

Picture attached shows the exact mask I am using.

Appreciate your responses so far.

Alex.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed web site says if noisy remove the hose by pushing in on the sides of elbow and try reinserting. I'm not seeing anywhere else that this thing vents, it does have to blow some air out just not sure if that is where it vents. I know that vent is the main difference in the P-10 nasal pillows, they have a mesh that you can't even feel blowing air. So figure out where they are venting and try to reinsert the elbow. If you still have problems take it back and try another one yours may be broken right on that latch assy.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
It does sound like it is the mask - can you try a different mask at the DME or sleep lab (the lab for our sleep study told us we could come back for a fitting update at no charge)? Or buy one from one of the supplier on line that have a free exchange program? Or find a new/used mask on Craigs list?

That would help isolate the leaking/hissing sound.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi aplatonov,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, hopefully, you can get your mask to work for you.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Intentional leakage should be coming from a series of holes probably on the mask over the bridge of your nose.

There evidently is a manufacturing defect. Go back to where you purchased it from and tell them it is defective and you need a replacement.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
That mask vents in a diffuse circle around the mask elbow.
see their video:
http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...t-f10.html
I don't think there's anything wrong with it -- it's just an odd design.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 368 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 342 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.