Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air Leaking from hose connector?
RE: Air Leaking from hose connector?
(11-02-2014, 06:21 PM)justMongo Wrote: That mask vents in a diffuse circle around the mask elbow.
see their video:
http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...t-f10.html
I don't think there's anything wrong with it -- it's just an odd design.

That's what I was afraid of, it does vent around the tube elbow. Still make sure it is locked in correct as it should not be that distracting amount of air at that low of pressure. I know my old swift fx had a small vent and if you blocked it or pointed it at someone you knew it. I have to believe it is big enough that it should be as quiet as the other new N10 and P10 models. Does someone else use this mask and can weigh in?
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your issue is with the hose and not anything else, the least of which is the pressure. The pressure is what you require or at least should be. I LOVE APAP machines... like the S9 AUTO. Wife was being messed around by the sleep doc for months and months (P*ssed me right off) and then he told her she could not have an APAP, that an Elite model was sufficient. What a buffoon! They played and still her AHI was way up about 85 many nights. I said enough is enough, tossed the Elite into the standby box and put my standby APAP S9 to work for her with a wide pressure range and gradually titrated and adjusted mask fit. Results? 9 nights out of 10 her AHI is under 2.0. There have been a couple of nights where her AHI skyrocketed with centrals (at least what appeared to be centrals) and I attribute this to medication being used (neither of us drink or take recreational drugs but do take meds for a variety of ailments). Anyway, doctor appointment next week and boy, is this guy going to be P*ssed off. The only thing bigger than the hospital is his ego. Thinks he is God's gift to humanity regardless of his mediocre results. I got better results than he on the first night I took the decision making out of his hands. This week I have a very bad cold; the first in 5 years I think. I have stopped oxygen infusion (a year now) but in order to sleep soundly I started up the oxygen concentrator (it seems to be clanking now... Everflo Q 5) but checked out for oxygen quality just fine using my oxygen analyzer. Slept like a baby with the heated hose set at 75F and the humidity cranked right up. Not a cough and clear sinuses all night; it was glorious. This AM back on Amoxycillin. Tomorrow AM - WORK. Got to share my good fortune with everyone.

ANYWAY.... I too have a hose that is leaking about the connector. In fact, have two of them. Right out of the plastic bag too!! On the one, I just wrapped with self annealing tape and it has been good for 2-3 years. The other one I am still planning on taking back some day. Tried some of that spray rubber stuff but it stinks. For a long time. Don't even try it. Just get some good quality self annealing tape at the electrical supply and it will solve the problem. If you can exchange it that is what you should do. These hoses seem to be subject to this fault in great abundance and we let the suppliers get away with it. Good luck.

(11-02-2014, 01:24 PM)aplatonov Wrote: Folks:

I am very new here. Have been using the ResMed AirSense 10 machine. Originally the doctor had the supplier set the machine at the 4-20 pressure level. I have no problem falling asleep, but then the machine increases pressure level to about 7.5 and I start hearing a loud air hissing sound around the hose connector, which naturally wakes me up. Very annoying. I adjusted the min / mas pressure to 4-5 and tried using the machine. I still have a lot of air leakage around the hose connector to the full face mask. I this normal? Also my machine reports 1L/hour leakage even on low pressure.

Appreciate any advice, as I don't have insurance to keep going to the doctor and pay $300 per visit.

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would just take back and get a new one. If you can see where the problem is ok but don't cover the vents at all or your rebreathing co2.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Folks,

Thanks for all your efforts in trying to help me. I think I figured out the issue. The leaking I felt was in fact the intentional small rate leaking out of the small holes in the front of the mask. I guess some leaking is normal, which is something I definitely did not know as I am a total noob at this CPAP thing.

I am getting more used to sleeping with a hose on my head. Last night I pretty much slept through the night and my AHI is down to 2.5 from about 16. This is very good for me, as it's only my 4th day on the machine.

Appreciate all your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Without the vent, the CO2 would build up in the mask and the O2 would deplete and you would be in major trouble. The vents allow the machine to sweep out the mask with fresh air and keep you smiling.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2014, 03:35 PM)aplatonov Wrote: Folks,

Thanks for all your efforts in trying to help me. I think I figured out the issue. The leaking I felt was in fact the intentional small rate leaking out of the small holes in the front of the mask. I guess some leaking is normal, which is something I definitely did not know as I am a total noob at this CPAP thing.

I am getting more used to sleeping with a hose on my head. Last night I pretty much slept through the night and my AHI is down to 2.5 from about 16. This is very good for me, as it's only my 4th day on the machine.

Appreciate all your help.
Hi aplatonov,
It's great to hear that you are getting used to CPAP therapy, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started using an AirSense 10 machine, with pressure range 4-20.  I use a nasal mask.  Last night I noticed air leaking from around the swivel connecto - the one you can pinch and remove from the mask.  It was quite annoying.  Did you find a solution to your air leaking issue?  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 345 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 578 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.