Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air Mini Hose noise solution
RE: Air Mini Hose noise solution
Thanks for raising this question!
Frequenttraveler, you are not alone.
I have just bought Airmini for 2 weeks.
Everything is perfect for me except the HumidX device!!!
The intention is good, waterless humidifier but it makes too much noise.
For me, the main concern is it's blowing cold air to my chin through the ventilation!
The design is sucks!

OK. Let's talk about the solution.
I agree with ur suggestion. My extra tubing is from Philips nasal mask, it has an extra tubing.
the only concern is the tubing length is doubled.
I found the pressure is vary and unstable.
I m searching a shorter tube and I found there are little gap between the aimini tubing connected with extra tube.
is hot glue really work? i m afraid i keep breathing in some toxin substance every night.

Let's keep sharing any new solution.

cheers

afeiro
Post Reply Post Reply
That raises a good point on the tube length. I just ordered some silicone tubing connectors from a surgical house and will let you know how they work. The intent is to connect one end of the connector to my P10 mask and the other end to the airmini cable end. Since it is a silicone connector, I am hoping it will cinch up tightly on the air mini hose. If not, I may do some modification to the end of that hose. I will olet you know how it works as soon as the connectors arrive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another possibility for connectors could be an "oxygen tap" - basically a male and female end connected by tubing with a small tube tee'd off it for the oxygen tube. Cut it in half through the oxygen tube, trim to fit, and glue it into your 'muffler'.
Post Reply Post Reply
Or, you could buy a DreamStation Go.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never really considered the toxicity of the hot melt glue. I would imagine it's fine once it's dried and cured. Perhaps check the glue packaging and see what it's made of, and if there are any warnings. I'm sure any good, food-safe adhesive will work fine though. As for holding power, I had the hot glue fail once, so I'm careful how hard I push in the tube, but that could be cause I didn't scour the plastic before gluing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Idea 
I am a frequent traveler and have been using a ResMed CPAP for 16 years. My regular machine is the S8, but a few weeks ago I looked into getting a smaller travel machine and the Air Mini was the smallest on the market. I was impressed with the size of the machine and how quiet it is. However, just like many others that have experienced and complained about the loud "Darth Vader" breathing sounds that comes from the humidx chamber and the N20 mask, I too am screaming to high heaven for this innovative design debacle. The noise was so loud that it woke my wife and forced her to go to another room to sleep. She said it was more annoying than my snoring when not on a CPAP! It was so bad that it even woke me a few times! I am still amazed that ResMed has forced this humidx humidifier concept with the Air Mini so that has to be use and it cannot be removed. I don't use a humidifier because I hate the moisture that sometimes builds up and drips on my face while asleep. I love the size of the machine, so I have decided to keep it in hopes tat ResMed will hear the complains and offer a solution soon. In the mean time I have tried a few modification of my own. Here is what I have tried thus far.

After figuring out that the humidx chamber is the main problem and there is currently no way to bypass the chamber by removing it, I took a milkshake straw and some cotton to see if it would make a difference. It did, but because of the straw there was some air restriction. I went to the hardware and purchased some tubing that would fit inside both hoses minus the humidx chamber. This worked but there was still a little air restriction, but the noise problem was taken care of. Another solution that I have played with is by taking my S8's hose which is a large diameter and placed it over the fitting that connects to the humidx chamber. I used a little duck tape to secure it and this is the best solution yet. The added plus is I am able to use my regular Mirage mask that I have been using for many year. I realize that the length of the tubing will make a difference in the pressure, but it's temporary. I have some extra hoses that I plan to shorten and experiment with. I would be interested in learning what other workarounds anyone has come up with while ResMed hopefully finds a solution for everyone that is dissatisfied with the "Darth Vader" humidx hose combination.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ended up purchasing an 18" cable with slimeline fittings on both ends from Amazon. This now eliminates the need to use the Airmini required mask and humidix chamber and now allows me to use my original P10 mask (from my Airsense). The mask hooks directly into one end of the new hose and the rubber fitting on the new hose easily accepts and covers the unique end of the air mini hose. This eliminates the humidix "noise", but there is one more issue and I wanted to see if anyone knew how to resolve it.

With the Old P10 mask, the air mini seems to still make a lot of hose noise after the exhale and just before I inhale. There seems to be a lot of pressure making noise through the hose during this short period, but I find myself listening to it and not being able to drift off. My wife also says it is loud. Does anyone have a solution to "muffle" this? I have the following settings on my Airmini:
  • 4-20 for pressure
  • Response soft
  • EPR 3 full time
Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, so I have not been able to use my Air Mini as much as I have tried and I end up lugging my Airsense 10 around. The problem is still noise. As I indicated earlier, I am using my P10 mask with the airmini hose. I removed the NOISY Humidix chamber and connected the P10 hose to the air mini hose by getting a 12" hose from Amazon. I use auto ramp and my settings are 4-20, but usually around 8. The problem is that unlike the airsense 10, there is noise/ pressure pushing through the hose creating noise when I am between an inhale and an exhale. It does not occur on the airsense 10 but on the mini it sure is there. Any ideas on how I can reduce this noise? I have no issues sleeping with my Airsense 10 and none of this noise. I am planning a long trip and would really like to make the air mini work!

THANKS!
Post Reply Post Reply
I provided some feedback in another thread but make sure that the connection between the AirMini hose and the AirMini is as tight as possible (if they aren't tight the noise is heard up at the HumidX chamber not at the loose connection), use a properly inserted HumidX cartridge (it snaps in place when properly installed), and make sure you use the AirMini Mount System (#38842) to keep the AirMini much lower than your head level (strapped to a mattress works well) - the DreamStation Go has the same issue that both are much quieter when the units are well below your head height...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,642 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 136 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,200 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 193 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 749 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 218 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,718 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.