Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air Mini Noise solutions?
RE: Air Mini Noise solutions?
(05-14-2018, 06:37 PM)gwjohnson Wrote: I was able to remove the humidifier component from the AirMini by inserting an adapter that was given to me by my medical provider. There doesn't seem to be any marking on the adapter, so I am not sure who might produce it. In the attached image you will see the regular setup with the humidifer on the top, and the alternate arrangement without the humidifier on the bottom.

That being said, removal of the humidifier made no difference to the sound level. It seems that the noise is solely related to the smaller diameter of the tubing. I use the AirMini only for travelling, and I have gotten somewhat used to it, but I don't sleep nearly as well as with my home machine.

Thank you very much for the rely, very helpful. I'm wondering if I made an adaptor which would connect very near to the Airmini and then use my normal tube and Swift Fx nasal pillows could I avoid the noise. My old plastic tube and Swift Fx pillows are super, no problems at all and like you I'm just trying to solve the travel issue.

I can't use it as is and my partner certainly can't survive the noise.

Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
I just received my Air Mini and I really love the size and weight of it.  

The solution to the inhale noise is actually very simple; wrap a saran wrap around the humidifier case section tightly.  This basically seals off any air leak at the humidifier case section and in practice removes the humidifier case from the tube.

The tube diameter has nothing to do with the noise.  It is the humidifier case.  Because it needs to get air flow through it it creates a whistling effect.  I wonder if this design is driven by some genius in Resmend to create "consumerables" (in this case the inline humidifier cartridge) which is an ongoing income source.  I can really understand some people needs humidification but a simple engineering connection design can make the humidifier case "insertible" (and therefore removable)  alone the tube and let the patient makes the choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does you saran wrap theory effect the process and amount of humidification provided in any way?
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Rumor has it, that you can separate that HME humidifier from the tube at the swivel, then buy either an 18" or 24" "Humidifier Hose With Rubber Ends" (search Suppler #1 ) and eliminate the HME, and also allow the use of ANY CPAP mask that joins to a standard 22 mm fitting. The rubber fitting works with a dab of silicone to fit over the remaining end on the Airmini tube where the swivel used to be.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like it is worth trying. My supplier has offered me a hose without the humidifier so I'll try that as well. I'll let you know how I get on. I do not use the humidifier on my S9 Resmed machine. So not having it won't be a problem for me.

I can't use a machine (AirMini) which I paid €1,300 for, (European price), crazy. Hope your suggestions work. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the suggestion of sealing the humidifier with 'cling film' I think that's the European equivalent of saran wrap and it improved the noise problem a lot, I would say by about 70%, The machine is now usable.

I'm still waiting for my supplier to send me a hose without the humidifier, from my experience with the cling film I assume that once the humidifier is out of the picture it should reduce the noise even further. 

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll post again when I receive the Airmini hose with no humidifier. 

I don't need the humidifier so for me it is not an issue but for those needing the humidifier the noise will remain a real problem
Post Reply Post Reply
Aren't the humidifier vents where the CO2 gets out in airmini? I thought the P10 mask that comes with the mini does not have diffusers in the mask, and instead the air vents through the humidifier section...
Where does the air vent after adding cling film?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2018, 06:37 PM)gwjohnson Wrote: I was able to remove the humidifier component from the AirMini by inserting an adapter that was given to me by my medical provider. There doesn't seem to be any marking on the adapter, so I am not sure who might produce it. In the attached image you will see the regular setup with the humidifer on the top, and the alternate arrangement without the humidifier on the bottom.

That being said, removal of the humidifier made no difference to the sound level. It seems that the noise is solely related to the smaller diameter of the tubing. I use the AirMini only for travelling, and I have gotten somewhat used to it, but I don't sleep nearly as well as with my home machine.

Hello gwjohnson and all other interested parties, I have received this Air Mini machine and have found that it constantly blows air out of the HumidX Chamber whether I am breathing or not, the noise close to my ears and of course the colder air blowing on my chest keeps me well awake!
I have asked ResMed and they tell me this is not normal and that the HumidX Chamber must be faulty, I wonder if anyone else on here has the same issue?
Also I found that sealing this air leak with insulation tape (and I noticed a number of people having a similar solution with cling wrap) the machine works great and is very quiet though I have a concern about re-breathing my own O2 does anyone have any thoughts?
How are you coping with your bypass insert gwjohnson?
I also thought of removing it altogether like this or keeping the HumidX and moving it a half way along the pipe and inserting it if required?
Mr. John Dunne you mentioned your supplier has a hose without the HumidX can you please post their web site and do you know if does this fits the P10 Mask?
Thank you in advance and wishing all a good Rest.
Regards
Arooga1
Post Reply Post Reply
Arooga1, the Air Mini with the P10 for AirMini must vent from the humidity chamber below the mask. This mask is different from the P10 sold for other CPAP and VPAP machine in that it does not have a mesh vent in the frame, but relies on exhaled air through a short tube to the humidity exchange chamber to provide humidity and some warmth back to the mask. If you block the vents in the humidity chamber, you are trapping exhaled air and will not get an assured flow of fresh air. Do Not tape those vents closed. If you can attach a regular P10 mask, that would be safe but you will not get the humidity exchange.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2018, 09:12 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you block the vents in the humidity chamber, you are trapping exhaled air and will not get an assured flow of fresh air. Do Not tape those vents closed.  If you can attach a regular P10 mask, that would be safe but you will not get the humidity exchange.

....not to mention but also by doing so you will likely void any warranty coming with the product.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 55 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 614 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,294 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.