Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air Pressure on New Machine
Air Pressure on New Machine
I picked up my new CPAP blower yesterday--very happy about that! However, there were two strange things I noticed.

My pressure on the former and new machine shows it was/is set to 6. However, I swear this machine is blowing more forcefully than the old one. It moves my hair around when I aim the hose at my head; the former one did not do that. So, how do I determine if either one was/is set wrong? It sounds crazy, but I know there is a difference. It did not affect me negatively so far. Could my former machine have been rebuilt, or been old and not function correctly, or can the screen display a wrong pressure number? So confused!

Also, I don't think my (same) humidifier's water level changed overnight. Testing it tonite by filling it right up to the max line. I set it to 4 (out of 5) humidification as usual. Fit of the machines seems fine, as do the settings done by the new DME. Any ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air Pressure on New Machine
What's the model of the old machine and the new machine?

The PRS1 humidifier has a "smart" system one humidification option that turns the humidifier heat down of the room air is humid enough. This can make it use less water. If it's too dry, you can turn this feature off and let it do "dumb" humidification, which may give you more humidity.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2014, 11:25 PM)lac47 Wrote: My pressure on the former and new machine shows it was/is set to 6. However, I swear this machine is blowing more forcefully than the old one. It moves my hair around when I aim the hose at my head;

You can't tell anything from that. Various machines blow harder/softer when they figure out that you might have your mouth open or not be connected.

Does it feel different then you're actually using it?

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
You are confusing pressure with flow rate. Likely the old machine was no longer able to produce the flow rate needed.
Low flow rate means the machine's ability to deliver pressure is compromised at higher flow rates.

In fact, open hose, it cannot develop pressure.
And, BTW, it's not a hair dryer! [Image: rofl2.gif]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Guess I will have to stop drying my hair with it then.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2014, 10:36 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Guess I will have to stop drying my hair with it then.

From your avatar, I'd say you need to be using a conditioner!Eat-popcorn
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I will admit to using mine to inflate an air mattress and it works very well for that. The ol' smiley face smiles all the while so I suppose it makes him happy to do dual duty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ha! will have to remember that "other use" . . . Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2014, 10:59 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(08-22-2014, 10:36 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Guess I will have to stop drying my hair with it then.

From your avatar, I'd say you need to be using a conditioner!Eat-popcorn

The avatar is from while I was drying it!!

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2014, 11:55 PM)archangle Wrote: What's the model of the old machine and the new machine?

The PRS1 humidifier has a "smart" system one humidification option that turns the humidifier heat down of the room air is humid enough. This can make it use less water. If it's too dry, you can turn this feature off and let it do "dumb" humidification, which may give you more humidity.

The old model was a RemStar Plus with C-Flex 260 & the new is a the same but model 460P.

Found the Smart Humidification option. It was off. Before returning the brick, I took pictures of the settings and the System One was on. I did turn it on last night and manually set it to '4' as I did with the old machine. Soon I had water droplets in my mask, which is a new bonus! Unsure So I switched it to '2'. Hardly any water was used overnight.

I hardly slept at all with adjusting my mask all night, because there is also more leaking going with the stronger flow rate. Back to square one, I guess for a bit. I am due for a new mask in 2 weeks, and the new DME suggested the Wisp and I think I'll try it; till then I have to deal with the leaky mask.

Terry, it does feel like I'm getting more pressure; just feels odd. Now I'm even more frustrated; for the past 3 months, does that mean my pressure wasn't even at 6? Is this new flow rate what 6 was supposed to feel like all along?

So the rest of you made me laugh -- I needed that! Hair dryer and mattress pump -- good extra uses! Thanks for the input. I'm thankful I have this forum to ask my odd questions and someone always sets me straight!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Machine Increases Pressure Without Input JeffNC 7 395 01-30-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
Exclaimation Novices ask for help to adjust the pressure parameters of the machine kfen 0 417 03-27-2023, 08:36 PM
Last Post: kfen
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.