Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air Sense humidifier heater malfunction
Air Sense humidifier heater malfunction
A few weeks ago, my ResMed Air Sense 10's humidifier stopped heating the water. It's not a major issue for me.
Has anyone experienced this failure?  
If the unit has an internal fuse, it would be rather simple to take it apart and change the fuse. However, sometimes the problem lies elsewhere. If so I might call the shop in CA from which I purchased it some years ago.
Thanks,
John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air Sense malfunction
(09-01-2020, 10:05 PM)johanlon Wrote: A few weeks ago, my ResMed Air Sense 10's humidifier stopped heating the water. It's not a major issue for me.
Has anyone experienced this failure?  
If the unit has an internal fuse, it would be rather simple to take it apart and change the fuse. However, sometimes the problem lies elsewhere. If so I might call the shop in CA from which I purchased it some years ago.
Thanks,
John

Mine did the same thing just a couple of days ago. That's why I'm here. Looking for the first step.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air Sense malfunction
Under the humidifier section is a metal plate held on with four allen head screws. I have not personally opened the unit but found anecdotal information

Quote:Using a star (or straight blade small) screwdriver, remove the heater cover on the bottom. There is a fuse, a connector and a rubber gasket there. I have had some success by separating the connector and reconnecting. There is also a fuse that should have continuity both ways.

If you are comfortable with the procedure, open it up and take a picture. Let us know what you find.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air Sense humidifier heater malfunction
Will try later today when I have a quiet minute. Am a retired experimental physicist and not intimidated by Torx-head screws :-)  I just didn't want to open, if I didn't know what I was doing. I learned long ago never to assume, but first to ask. 
Thanks; will report back, 
j
Post Reply Post Reply
Not the exact same problem, mine was barely getting warm.  I contacted my vendor and they replaced the machine.  It was only 3 months old at the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your suggestions.
Opened the humidifier backside: four 5-mm Torx screws.
Attached is a photo of the backside. The thermal fuse is visible in center. Mfr clipped the left side lead short. Fuse was good, copper strip line heater was good. Hence problem is internal. Likely bum power supply. Mfrs often spend 5 cents on a cheap electrolytic in the power supply instead of 8 cents on a long lasting capacitor. However, I will contact DME and see if they will repair it. If they say scrap and buy a new one, because of its age, then I might open its guts.
  It was not possible to read the temperature printed on the fuse, because its ink had been scraped when it was inserted under the spring clip used to make thermal contact. Hence, even if it was bad, I would not know what to purchase!
Interesting circuit. A thermistor, the negative temperature coefficient resistor labeled NTC, is used to control the heater temperature, the T-fuse is merely a high temperature limit switch.

Thanks again
John
Post Reply Post Reply
try again with photo, it was too large.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
hiya, did anything get resolved?  i just took my airsense 10 apart to find your pic and little more.  Using an ohm meter, all connections touch points confirm it should be ok however mine, like yours, stopped heating a few weeks ago.  Water level is slightly down daily when it had used about 1/3 the tank per evening.  I have tried manually heating using the warmup and nothing gets warm, especially the plate inside.  I suspect as you, an internal setting is not providing power to the plate so makes me wonder where to go from here. I suspect those cpap repair services are really fronts to sell refurb units but realistically if it is an internal failure, maybe that says it all.  I have an old packard external humidifier from my first cpap, maybe it is time to dust that off, its not like i need to travel that often these days. Humidity is sure worth the effort however.  Good luck to us!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi
Still have not heard back from DME supplier in Bakersfield. Left a second message.  Will update when I hear.
Thanks.
John
Post Reply Post Reply
DME says out of warranty, so need to get new one. Problem is ether in supply power or software, and not in humidifier heater component visible when removing panel.  This unit is at least six years old if not more.

Interesting comment from supplier.  Air Sense 10 "for him", is almost like Air Sense 10 "for her", with two exceptions.  First is the "for her" model contains both software algorithms, whereas the "for him" unit contains only the "for him" program. Users of the "for her" machine can chose either mode. Second is the décor!  Wink Supplier suggested that my settings were such that I might like the "for her" software better; if not, enter control panel and switch.  Units are same price.  

Thanks for everyone's help!
John
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 356 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 426 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.