Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air blasts keep waking me up
Angry 
Air blasts keep waking me up
I am having ongoing issues with mask leak (ResMed AirFit F20) and wonder if I am alone and if there is anything more I can do? My hose has been changed to a wider one of 3m length which kinks and snags less so things have improved, but sometimes I am woken up by blasts of air that just won't stop. I have consulted my clinic and have been told it is air leak but I wonder if it might be something more than that? I am woken by air blasts coming through the mask that do not stop, and on taking the mask off the air flow does not stop. This happens sometimes now, the not stopping of air when I take the mask off. Whilst I am using the wider, longer 3m hose, this not stopping of air flow started before I switched hose, and was only once in a blue moon. Now I would say it averages once a week so it is happening more often. Usually, if I blow hard down the air hose it then registers it followed by non-breathing as I only blow the once, and stops, but not always, and I have had to do it twice to work.

I have checked with my clinic who have advised that on reviewing the detailed data, the mask was leaking but no episodes noted. I am also advised that the machine (ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet) will appear to blow more when mask is not insitu as it is looking for resistance, but I do not understand why when I take it off it stops blowing air after it's usual few moments most of the time, just a low level push of air as it were, but at other times it continues to blow it as if it were still on my face at other times and not stopping until I blow hard into it? When woken by air blast I check for leak and try to adjust and seal it and whilst holding to my face, clearly no leak now, the air blasts persists and until it has forced my mask off, and if I hold on to it, it continues to blast air through elbow joint at the front and reverberate the mask making a loud vibrating 'raspberry' sound, it just will not stop until I take it off and blow like hell into it and today had to do that twice! All this was in the night; this morning I woke with my little finger on my right hand very cold presumable because it was next to the elbow joint on my mask, implying air had been coming out of it. I'm at my wit's end with it. If anyone can help in any way that would be terrific thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air blasts keep waking me up
There are many reviews of the F20 mask in our CPAP Mask Reviews http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-C...sk-Reviews A chronic leak that cannot be tamed is s sure indication you have the wrong size or even model of mask. Since you have tried to control leaks without success it is time to turn in this mask for a different model or size. With a properly fitting mask, there is no sensation of air movement. Pressure is how a CPAP works, and flow is only used to maintain pressure. With a leak there can be a lot of flow, but the normal condition is just quiet pressure with a small amount of flow through the exhalation vent. There are many masks on the market, and whether you use nasal therapy with nasal pillow or a nasal mask, or full face mask you should be able to find a comfortable solution that does not leak. You will benefit from reading our Mask Primer http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer

If you can tolerate nasal therapy (air won't leak from your mouth), then it is far easier to get a good fit and very quiet operation with the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask. It is a very light, minimal mask that rests at the bottom of your nose, and the airflow is nearly non-existent.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a related problem. Three times in about two years my RESMED Airsense has gone into a mode of blasting hurricane force air even though it only registers the 12 mm, which is my maximum pressure. I can barely exhale into the blast. Changing to a new hose and mask does not help, of course.

This persists thru turning off the power at the switch, removing the mask, etc. The only fix I have found is unplugging the power (electricity) at the jack on the back and leaving it off for a few minutes then plugging back in.

I think it is a failure mode that requires this hard reset, and the power switch at the top is not enough.

Alan
Post Reply Post Reply
Alan, that sounds like your PAP isn't set correctly or your mask isn't a good fit for you. If you'd like to address this better, create a thread with this post as part of your beginning story.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 115 9 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 262 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 193 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 309 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.